Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical carb throttle shaft extensions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by silent rick, Dec 29, 2014.

1. silent rick

silent rick

where can i get some of these throttle shaft extensions like the ones on this wc4d?

[​IMG]

also, anybody got photos of progressive linkage for this intake. i'd like to run the center two as primaries and bring in the outers as secondaries. i'm going to try my hand at fabricating something up.

2. walker

walker

3. mcmaster carr might have something. check some electronic sites because they look like the spacers for larger computer boards.

4. silent rick

silent rick

any pics of progressive linkages for this intake?

i figure tie the two center carbs together and then the outer two. then have a sliding rod between the second and front carb that will bring both secondaries in around half throttle or so.

how would you do it?

Heavy Flat Head likes this.

5. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. silent rick

silent rick

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Also, check and make sure those carbs are on a common plane before going progressive... I'm sure you know it but just throwing it out there..

9. silent rick

silent rick

after a few private messages, i've decided to run straight linkage. what problems will i have if any if only the center two carbs have idle circuits and the outer two carbs are just dumpers?

10. I didn't know that they were still in business.

I know that this is just me talking here but they can be made, no hill for a stepper.

11. Andy

Andy

What about running the drivers side carbs like shown but run the pass side using the stock arms on the right side? You could run a master shaft on the firewall behind the dist.

12. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

Before you start tuning...make sure you check throttle shafts for vacuum leaks, which can cause excessive lean condition at idle.

Also, with straight linkage; 'trueness' of all throttle shafts can hinder the butterflies coming back to curb idle position. Which is also why one might recommend setting all curb idle adjustments with a vacuum measuring device, then cinching down your common rod.

Here's one I've been fighting for a long time on something similar

[​IMG]

13. 60 Belair

60 Belair

I bought my throttle shaft extensions on eBay, I had to make a support bar to hold them up see pic. Andy

[​IMG]

14. 60 Belair

60 Belair

15. silent rick

silent rick

i was brainstorming all this with titus. i never gave a support bar any thought but after discussions, it sounds like a good idea.

even though the straight linkage on my intake in the top photo operates smoothly, jeff thought it a good idea to run a support anyway. it might protect against premature shaft and bushing wear.

andy, is your support bar fixed to anything or is it allowed to float? jeff suggested using a set screw type attachment to the 2 driver's side carbs on mine. the support bar would mount to the piece that extends past the base on a 97 that the throttle shaft comes through and then have holes large enough to allow the throttle shaft extension to spin freely.

i just want to thank everyone for contributing to this thread.

16. 60 Belair

60 Belair

This is exactly how mine is mounted and yes it free floats as you say but I got the tolerance quite tight on the carbs shaft extensions were they slide over so it does not float and I also incorporated my Stromberg snap back return springs into it. Andy

[​IMG]

17. titus

titus

I like that you used the return springs on the bar, looks like itll work good. the hardest part is getting the carbs to go all the way back into the idle position.