Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bleaching the interior white?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrokenJoints, Dec 31, 2014.

1. BrokenJoints

BrokenJoints

I plan on painting my car from baby blue to a candy tangerine color. The problem is that in the interior, the seats and most upholstery are cloth blue. Is it possible that I can get rid of this blue by bleaching the cloth? Im out of ideas I don't want to have to buy a whole new interior!! :eek:

2. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I would think that the bleach, even if it took the color out, would also weaken the fabric to a point of it being useless. Others may have more ideas.

3. Bleaching a cloth interior is like bleaching cloths,,too much and it will destroy the integrity of the material,possibly dye might do the job. HRP

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I could be wrong but I really dont think so, however they do make dye in spray cans that I have used, It works pretty good, it will eventually wear off some on the seats but its easy to touch up with another can. I would go with a darker color like black tho, I dont know how well white would work out, over blue if they even make white.
    It wont be as good as new interior but the next best thing.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

5. BrokenJoints

BrokenJoints

Mabye I can find a company that makes slip over tuck and roll covers, but then there are the door panels
    Mabye ishuld just paint the damn thing candy blue

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Show us a pic of the car and we will build the whole thing for ya in just a jiffy:D

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Is the interior in good shape? If so maybe you can sell the blue interior, and put that money towards the purchase of a new interior in the color of your choice. Just a thought.

8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

His interior is cloth, aren't the spray cans for vinyl or leather?

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ive used it on vinyl and cloth, The time I used it on cloth was on a back seat
    (from blue to burgundy) and it looked ok but never got much use so...... I also dyed some stained grey carpet back grey with it and it worked out ok.
    I once knew of a used car salesmen using regular spray paint on carpet but I dont know how that worked out long term???
    The dye may not be much more than good spray paint for all I know.
    I bought my dye at Wal Mart for about 5 to 7 bucks a can if I remember correctly

10. sure are a bunch of cheap bastards here..Damn man,,DO IT RIGHT..make a trip to your local re-upholstery guy

Hnstray likes this.
  11. BigIrish

BigIrish

I have used these guys 3 times and it has come out great always. They have patterns for almost any car made. Get the permanent hog-ring secured seat covers and they really look legit if you install them properly. You can also get extra matching material by the yard to do the door panels. You can do a whole car including carpet for about $600-800. I did a '62 fairlane in pleated vinyl this way (including door panels & rear shelf) and it looked great.

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/seatcovers.htm

12. Squablow

Squablow

I've had good experience dyeing interiors to different colors, although like was said, harder to go lighter than darker. Post some pics of the interior as it is. Maybe a new set of seat covers is in order, and the door panels, headliner and such could be dyed.

13. Honestly I wouldn't attempt to paint. Bleach or dye it white. You'll just end up with a botch job. Save your coin. Do it once. Do it right.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Black is a good color for the interior of a candy tangerine colored car, a couple of cans of black upholstery dye and your done.

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I am not as cheap by choice as I am necessity, if I want to try and enjoy the hobby.

Congrats tho,on being well established enough in life to be able to just run down to the upholsterer and plop down the cash, at will, to get what ever you need done, as you seem to suggest.

I will admit, it would be nice to do that some day but til then I will try my hand at cheap creativity
    "as needed" and try to help others who may need to go that route as well.;)<---

(we need a new winker,but Im pretty good about making do with what I have, so.......:D)

Dick Stevens likes this.
  16. Low budget,
    maybe he hasn't been to the stitcher since the '50s. Skins cost an arm and a leg any more.

17. indyjps

indyjps

If you wanna go black i think it will work, I dont know of a good way to from blue to white. You pull the cloth covers and dye them black, if theres any vinyl piping that will be troublesome. If the door panels are cloth and on hardboard backing you don't want to dip them, I've had good luck with dye in a spray bottle, several applications, then buff with a damp cloth. If they're vinyl door panels they can be sprayed. Classic industries has a good vinyl dye and prep products, the prep is very important, any residual armor all or similar left on the vinyl will give bad results.

18. I saw David F using Dupli Colour interior paint on Hot Rod TV You Tube.
    It looked like great stuff. He tried scuffing up test panels, and the stuff didn't wear off.
    Might be worth a look.

19. BrokenJoints

BrokenJoints

BigIrish, that website is great but I they don't have my make make and model although I can probably get it custom made. The car is a 58 Edsel by the way :D

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Seat covers. If the door panels are vinyl paint them with vinyl paint.

21. fortynut

fortynut

Use a roller and paint it with Rustoleum white. Let it dry. It will crinkle a bit, until you nuggle out a nice ass patch. When you realize I gave you some really bum advice, find a super-good upholstery shop and after he quits laughing his ass off, tell him you did it to 'make' yourself get a new upholstery job (and save face), then pull out the old coffee can full of cash and go for your heart's desire. You'll be glad you did. Bleach is for slicks! I've read too many articles by Buster McNutt. Sorry.

22. yup, wont go white, but it will dye black

23. steven fralin

steven fralin

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  24. steven fralin

steven fralin

:(^^^^^change the link so you get the wright site^^^^^

25. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

clicking on the link did not work for me, but I got the same link when I clicked my way down from thewww.semproducts.com home page.

if I copy and paste this in my Browser url window it works fine
    http://www.semproducts.com/automotive-flexible-coatings/color-coattm-aerosols

They do say "Color Coat™ is a specialty elastomeric coating formulated to restore or change the color of most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour. Color Coat is not a dye, but a fade resistant flexible and permanent coating."

A quick look shows There are a couple of whites in the aerosols ( spray cans?).
    But mostly "tinting white: in quarts and gallons

26. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Don't bleach it. It will just eat the fabric. Especially if it is an older job.
    Dye won't work great for a drastic dark to light job either.
    I've found if you brush on the dye in order to go darker it won't get so stiff and crinkly. Especially with carpet.
    I am an upholsterer, I've dyed a lot of things, especially for late model stuff. It's ALL in the prep.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Hnstray likes this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Forget doing anything to your existing interior. No matter what you do it will be a waster of money. The only solution is to tear it out and replace it.

wbrw32 and Hnstray like this.