Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acid dipping and ecoating...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LT4 Hawk 9, Jan 16, 2013.

1. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

I've read the pros and cons of this, and I understand each. I have decided to try to find a shop to do it on a project we are working on, and ask a few questions that will put my mind at ease with having it done. The problem is, I can't find anyone remotely close to me to DO IT.

I found a place in Burlington, NC to strip it, but they don't ecoat. They use a water soluble temporary rust prevention...wash it off before you paint. Great...so even if I DID find someone to ecoat it, I'd have to haul it enclosed to keep potential rain off on the trip.

I also found a place near Cincinnati that strips, but they don't coat.

Anyone know a place that they can recommend? Either two shops semi-near each other, or a one stop shop for both?

THANKS!

2. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

I would avoid e-coating your body. There is a lot of trial and error in setting up an e-coat production line correctly. Too little current and the coating doesnt adhere correcetly, too much current and you will over heat the body. The chances that a shop that offers an e-coat service to get it right the first time on your body is about slim to none.

3. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

Thanks for the input. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but as I already stated:
    I am not going into this without having already done a fair amount of research on the subject. Finding good or bad experiences recorded online is simple...finding good quasi-local places to do the work is not so much.

4. metal man

metal man

There is a place in northern Ohio somewhere that does both. The stripping facility is across the street from the coating facility. You have to build some sort of rack to hang the body and/or parts from, and you can stay with it during the process and take it home with you the same day.

One of my customers restored an Amphicar and took it up there and had it done. He was very happy with it, and still is 8 years later. I have not been there, and I can't tell you much more about it, but if you want to travel that far, I'll see if I can get some more information.

5. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

At this point, that is the best possibility that I have so far. Any more info would be great! Thank you!

6. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

What ever came of this??? I'm in the same boat..........