Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Speedway Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Jan 25, 2006.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

when i first saw this car in the magazine i was a bit perterbed because its somewhat the idea of what i want to try to incorperate into the car i am building right now.
    but the more i stared at this the more i think its a bit too much that it draws from the whole. the saying "cant see the forest for the tree's" seems fitting for this car

the workmanship and detail are top notch and its very much resembling a miller indy car all mized up with a 32 ford. but i think that thats why theres miller's and theres 32's you can share ideas and style but you dont cross breed them like this.

overall i like it though. id much rather spend my time looking at a car like this then a smoothed over monochromatic sitting on the ground plastic blob of a 32 roadster

heres my design for my car
    i hope it comes out half as nice
    zach

Attached Files:

2. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

What he said.

3. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

It may have been built in the image of some fictitious Indy mechanic, but it still doesn't sit right or come together well.

The rings around the exhaust are ok but too much when coupled with the *ick* bumper/tailight thingy, and then there are the tail light rings and the plate bracket - which would also be ok if not for all of the other shit back there...like that mess under the bumper and plate bracket. I can see the trunk hold downs as ok, maybe - but there are so many other ways to hold down a trunk - and those JEEP clips don't do anything for the "racey" feel you'd think that they are going for.

IMO - the pinstripe (on this car) don't add anything...

The engine compartment is amazing....

The undercarriage is probably astonishing...

The grill and the side steering, etc. all work for me - I dig them...

The headlights...i could be sold on them if the pinstripes and such are gone (from the side of the car as well).

The interior is a little more than the eye can understand design wise - and IMO takes ZERO from and indy-car design, with the exception of the petals and the counsil abortion. The door panels, again - with all the other stuff is too much, alone maybe kinda cool. As far as the seat brackets and such - see above. If the wheel came from an MG it should be put back....And the interior color looks like vomit held against a jewel....

Stand back and look at the car - pretty nice, but missing something...stance? wrong wheels? Tires? They DO say the wheels make the car....these do nothing for me - but wheels are universally based on opinion anyways....

Fantastic details on a car that none of us could build. Maybe the automotive equivalent of a Salvador Dali. Lots of great craftsmanship and the skill level of a master, with the subject matter you can ALMOST understand, but not quite, and worth more than any ten paintings we'll ever do no matter what it looks like on the wall.......

4. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I'm impressed.I don't really care that much for billet,but I do appreciate good craftsmanship:D ,and this car is crafty:cool: .

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Wow...amazin' details...too many. Glad I read this. Was gonna try a little of that on the coupe, but I think I'll tone down some of the ideas now.

6. jaybee

jaybee

I like the Tim Allen car better, but IMO this captures the flavor Moal was after...keeping in mind it was never meant to be a faithful recreation of a historical car. If I had a bottomless well of money Steve Moal has been at the top of my list to build a car from scratch ever since the Tim Allen roadster was unveiled. Maybe I'd hire Boyd to wax it...but I'd have to think about that.

7. beatnik

beatnik

I love it, but agree that there's way too much going on. They made it too complicated, but the workmaship is great and there a lot of great ideas.

I havent seen any finished photos but they were also working on 5 Window Coupe

Attached Files:

8. kropduster

kropduster

YOU SAID IT.

9. Nightfire

Nightfire
    from Canada

10. McKee

McKee

Moal went waaaay overboard on this one,.....what could have been a good car turned out like a circus wagon,....Moal's earlier efforts were much better ie: The California V8 Special and Tim Allen"s Licorice.

Here's the other car that Moal built for the same guy!

Attached Files:

11. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Two words: Over Done.

There is an old engineering design principle called K.I.S.S. where the engineer looks into the mirror and says to image he sees; Keep It Simple, Stupid!

I appreciate the work and thought that went into this car; HOWEVER, there is TOO much done on this car. Yes, they may have been emulating the 1930's cars where there was a lot of "gingerbread", but this car goes beyond even that emulation. Less would have made this car even better.

Mom always told me to always say something good. I like the color.

12. derelict

derelict

Great workmanship but too many geegaws. The guy just didn't know when to quit. That front end is waay over the top. It seems like his builds keep getting busier. I wish he'd build a car for me though.

13. You are kinda thick brained. Speedway as in INDY. Not Speedway Motors, the only thing Speedy Bills company has in common with this car is the name.

14. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Friction between all the details. TOO Busy!

He needs to take about half the doodads off this car and build another car! Then he'd have two kick ass cars. Not one Overdone one.

I can't help but wonder though would it make it all better if it were BLACK?

15. Gator

Gator

Ehh, it's kind of 'all over the place' as far as the styling and stuff goes. Doesn't really peg any one genre.

16. 61bone

61bone

nice but not for me. With all the detail, how come it shows 30" of boost and no fuel pressure?:)

17. Too Damn Much Clutter For Me.....but When Each Piece Of Clutter Is Taken Individually...they Are Works Of Frikkin' Art, Man. Just Has A Lot Of Too Much Of A Good Thing For My Tastes, But Then...i Like Stuff With No Salt....(oh,wait.....that Does Not Include Bonneville!)

18. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

I respectfully but totally disagree with you. If you look at period Indy cars, the CRAFTSMANSHIP was there, of course. The cars these guys built in thier off time were much the same...amazing attention to detail during fabrication and assembly, but no where close to this amount of "stuff". I know maybe 50 guys that are professional race fabricators, and a few guys that were doing the sprint car/Indy thing way back when. Every single one of them, myself included is as minimalist as possible, no matter if we're building a car or decorating a house.

The car simply has TOO MUCH stuff.

19. Rolf

Rolf

Nice workmanship, no question...

I still thinks it looks like Kaptain Retro threw up, waaaaay to busy...but hey, this is AMERICA, land of choices :D

20. Nimrod

Nimrod

I didn't know that was a Moal car. I've always wanted to love his stuff, I think his Ideas are great....the sports/race car influences are what really turn me on. But there's just something wrong with everything I've seen from him, either proportion, or just too overdone...they come close to being perfect but always loose it somewere.

21. repoguy

repoguy

Did it start the war in Iraq too?

C'mon dude. It's a car, not the anti-christ.

With anything....cars, music, fashion, etc., what is "cutting edge" now will eventually be discovered and consumed by the masses and become status quo. We don't own traditional hot-rodding, we're just the ones who were fortunate enough to appreciate it before the rest of the flock arrived. I mean really, look at the pastel-monochrome eyesores that have been passing as hot rods for the last 2 decades & then look at traditional rods. Now that the "easter egg rod" trend has passed it's really only a matter of time before things come full circle.

Back when I was at a Black Flag show in 84 I would have laughed (or maybe cried) if you'd suggested that someday we'd have Green Day & Blink 182.

Rods of the more tradional style have been making regular appearances in mainstream publications for a while now, so basically it's already happening.

As far as the car goes, I agree it may have a few too many doodads on it, but I like the grill & the overall look. I personally prefer hot rods that are a little less fancy & more "worn" looking, but different strokes for different folks.

22. burger

burger

woah!

that coupe is c l e a n.

same ideas as the roadster but polar opposites.

a little chop and a little black paint and i'm in love!

ed

23. A Boner

A Boner

Put it on a turntable, and add some angel hair.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'd like to drive the shit out of it, lose the rear-end in coming out of an apex, and back that fucker into the wall at about 120 mph.

Seriously, I'd like to find that car sitting alone in a dark parking lot some night. I wouldn't steel the WHOLE car, but I might steel some parts! :)

25. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaved door hinges and handles, but exposed trunk latches?

Beautiful sculpted roll pan, topped with a towel bar?

I would like to know if there was an overall concept, or was it a "Hey, this would be cool, let's make one of those and put it on it."

The '32 Ford roadster is so iconic that there are some things we expect to be on one and some things we expect to be always left off. If this were a different body style or make, our perceptions about the details being too much would go away.

26. 32viper

32viper

What he said.

27. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I diddn't know Orange County Choppers built Hot Rods?

28. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

It's too busy,
    too many louvers, too many gadgets, too much of a lot of stuff. I'll take a simple clean 32 any day over this. Great craftsmanship but your eye can't focus on anything easily, like a too complex pinstripe design, the great pinstripers can make an awesome design with simple lines and that is what is cool.

29. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

I agree with a lot of reponses saying the workmanship is perfect and so many neat ideas, but I don't care for the car, too much like an object to be viewed, but never driven????????

30. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Just more street rod crap, only in a different style. Kinda the same style as the Royce Glader's RPU. Should appeal to people like the idiot who paid $176k for a Boydster at Barrett-Jackson. Car has some nice pieces that could have been put to much better use.