Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where can I find these tubular hoops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Dec 29, 2014.

1. I found this great tubular hoop in mild steel a few years back but can't remember where. It's 1" O.D. by 14 inches in diameter. I've tried Googling it but only find them for sale in lots of 5,000 to a million. I'd like to 40chevywheel.JPG
    find a few for steering wheel rims but damn! I don't need a million just yet.
    Here's a photo of the one I bought with a 40 Buick banjo center welded to it. I have another Buick banjo with a bad rim that's about 18" in diameter! Way too big.
    Anybody know where I may be able to buy 1 or 2 of these hoops?

2. mickeyc

mickeyc

I encountered similar hoops as those on a job in a refinery. they were used for "chill rings" which is a back up for a root weld in some pipe welding processes. I also thought they had potential for a steering wheel hoop.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe these guys can help:
    [​IMG]

4. Thanks, Gimp but those are the guys that sell 5000 to a million in an order. Great product tho.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No "factory seconds"?

6. Sounds like a good tech project,heat and a rolling jig.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Would aluminum work for you? Ifn so, oval track steering wheels are plentiful (used or new) and relatively inexpensive. You could remove the spokes / hub and fabricate your own center. Gary

8. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I used one of them cheap steering wheels with the black foam and cut the hoop off. Grafted a banjo center to it.

9. stimpy

stimpy

10. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

King Metals make tubing rings but only go up to 10in maybe they will make u some custom ones ?

11. A few years back I searched and helped Kerry find the hoops for the roll cage in his digger, the place also made circles. He is really good at keeping track of things I'll bet if you get ahold of him he can hook you up.

12. Thanks everybody. I'll run down some of those leads.

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Most large ironworking shops have a 3-die power roller and a minimum setup charge. $20 for the tubing a $100 set up and they can roll you a coil and could get about 4 hoops out of it

14. Phil1934

Phil1934

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Ask them to sell you a couple for prototypes, with a job lot order later if they work out. Or, ask them who they vend to that they might sell you a couple.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A friend locally used the metal "foot" ring off a bar stool for his steering wheel...so, it's easy -- all you have to do is go to Nebraska Furniture and take a tape measure with you...bet you'll look really strange running around in the Bar Stool section measuring the foot rests on all the bar stools they have for sale...!!!

R-

51 BIRD likes this.
  17. A Boner

A Boner

^
    The most old time traditional hot rod builder answer.

18. If the foot ring idea appeals to you, you could probably get one easily at one of those second hand furniture stores - we've got one or two here in Taos and I've bought some very interesting things for the shop at them dirt cheap.

19. Did we ever find a place to get the steering hoops?

Besides the second hand furniture store that is

20. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

A few years ago I bought a custom steering wheel from Savage on the HAMB. He bent up the hoop himself. I bet he could make you what you want. He's good people

21. I have a pm into mr savage

22. This is what I do. Almost every swap meet in the world you can pick one up for $5.

23. Welp, I sold off my last remaining Buick banjo wheel [kept the one in the photo] so I really don't need the hoop anymore. However, I know I'll be watching garage sales for old bar stools to get the foot rest....just in case!

24. Bump, I stumbled onto this thread today, I would like to find a couple 15" hoops.