Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs shoebox fair price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sluginxlt, Dec 29, 2014.

1. sluginxlt

sluginxlt

i finally saved up some pennies to be in the market for a cheap"hot rod". i have always loved shoeboxes. but i also have a very long list of buying cars and motorcycles and everytime i find something i like and tell people im gonna keep it they laugh because it never happens. i said all that to say the shoe im interested in i plan to keep but if i do decide its not for me i dont want to loose money either. its a 1950 tudor sedan. interior redone but looks dated, front disk brakes which is a plus. its a running and driving car but it has a 200 i6 from a seventies maverik which is my main dislike. anyways hes firm at $4500.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

That doesn't sound bad for a solid body. You can put any driveline you want later on,.

3. Sounds like a good deal to me. Interesting engine swap, never seen that done before.

4. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

That sounds like a fair price for that car. Assuming the body isn't full of bondo and poor bodywork. CTJ

5. sluginxlt

sluginxlt

i havent seen it in person yet because its about an hour and a half drive from me and im having a hard time deciding. but in the pictures it looks great. the guy said it runs and drives but recommended towing it home because he said it could use carb and fuel tank cleaned and and recommended getting radial tires.

6. Eric H

Eric H

I'd scoop it up!

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like it and think its probably a good deal if its solid, If the old six runs good, that wouldnt bother me too bad.
    My dads favorite car is a 50 ford.

8. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Don't know why you don't like the six. They're great little motors, that get great gas mileage, and there is some hop up stuff available. a six can be way cooler than an eight when done right. I think it's a great car for the price.

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Seems like a plenty fair price to me , as it looks pretty solid . I'd even rock the 6-popper if it runs good . You can't build a car to look like that for that price .

10. Eric H

Eric H

At that price you don't have to feel bad about sinking a blade in to it. Just say no to radials.

11. It may have had a six originally, just not an OHV.

12. Pretty sure you wouldn't be upside sow on it for 4500- like said above- as long as it's solid under that paint. Good luck

13. ..................................................What's an upside sow, is that some sort of pig?:D;)

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

..........does look like its had the ole water hose treatment and those pics look to be from summer where you are,(what summer who knows) and that seems to be a fairly good price as good as it looks so proceed with caution.
    Been converted from 6 volt to 12 already?
    At least worth looking at in person but like I said........

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Price guides are just price guides, but current old cars price guide values for a '50 2 dr sedan are
    1. $23,000
    2. $16,100
    3. $10,350
    4. $ 4,600
    5. $ 2,700
    6. $ 920

He is asking #4 price for it and it's well worth that. The later model six is a good, reliable engine that for '70 was rated at 120 hp, 20 more than the flathead V-8 in a '50 Ford (or the 95 horsepower flathead six also available in '50).

16. Squablow

Squablow

That seems like a great deal unless it's a totally misrepresented shitbox full of chicken wire and mud. I'm assuming the paint isn't that nice and some old bodywork shows, that's to be expected on a car of this calibur, but just so there's not rot holes in the frame filled with tar or patch panels pop-riveted into place.

It's a running and driving, 2 door, popular 50's car in nice enough condition to look good in a picture, that isn't all taken apart, has chrome, glass, ect. I'd say if you deciede you don't like it, you could sell it for a profit, even if you have to spend some money fixing stuff that isn't readily apparent.

17. I'm with these guys. Unless it's a bondo bucket I'd grab it. To hell with towing it home. Bag of wrenches. A spare, put some carb cleaner in it and go.

18. Brentphx

Brentphx

Yep, good price of its anywhere near as nice in person!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Look REALY REALY CLOSELY for bondo

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

OK, bottom line is do you really like it and have extra $ laying around and time with a good place to work on it? Price sounds good, like everyone has said. This may be your dream deal or, may find one another day.

21. Slopok

Slopok

As long as he mentioned that it needs tires, use that to your advantage and offer him $800.00 less and drive it home. The drive is what it needs.

22. sluginxlt

sluginxlt

thanks for all the quick replies everyone, if nothing else it gave me the confidence that it is at least worth looking at for the price. he was actually asking 6000 firm in his ad but was including a "70s complete 302, the original flat 6, 2 transmissions, and 2 rearends" i asked if he would deal with out extras and consider 4000 and thats when he said he would take 4500 so i dont know if theres wiggle room but i always try lol

23. sluginxlt

sluginxlt

whats the common rust spots to look for on these things? im actually hoping the paint isnt that great and looks aged, i know time is the best test of bad body work. also if i buy the car it may have to live outside this winter because i only have a 1.5 car garage with 5 motorcycles in it so the nicer it is the worse i would feel leaving it out.

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

If it is anything close to what the pictures show, just go buy it.

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Rocker panels under the doors - the quarter panels in front of , and above the rear wheels - the bottoms of the front fenders & up by the headlights - in the trunk , on the floor just inside the lid - and the front floors , especially the driver's floor (there's always a driver in there , sometimes with wet feet ;) ) , but windshields are known to leak through the years . That oughta get ya goin'

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Put the cycles outside...:D

27. Brentphx

Brentphx

I posted some pictures of the worst rust spots on mine if you feel like crawling the first page of the thread, but like Buddy said... Look for the ones in his list.

My Shoebox build http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/My-Shoebox-build.938521/

28. Stupid spell check...

Posted using the Full Custom twig in the sand App!

29. What's the issue with the six? As has been stated before, they make more power than the stock flathead or 6-cylinder. If you're looking for more power, Classic Inlines or Clifford Performance has parts for it. It is an interesting swap, what transmission is behind it? It looks like a good deal even with the non-standard swap. I like the color too. Take a magnet to look for bondo.

30. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

If you can live with the 6 jump on it. Either way as long as body and bright work is up to snuff it's probably worth getting.