Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Yep! I'm still alive. I've had a lot of inquiries about this project and I promised I would do an update before the end of the year. I have a few days to spare before 2015 and I actually have a small amount of progress to share. It's been so long since I've posted, the HAMB format has changed, there have to be at least 5,000 more members, and some people probably don't even know what the hell this project is. If you want to see where this all started, there's about 34 other threads I've posted over the last 8 years. To read up, here are the last couple threads, including one that covers pretty much all the links to other threads:

--> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...y-race-to-the-road-progress-in-review.437990/

This was the last thread before packing up the shop and moving across the country, but it someone bumped the previous, so there was a more recent update there. I will repost those details.

--> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/modified-murray-the-final-chapter.668910/

So... Here goes. Let's get this going. This will be the last build thread. It has to be because this project needs to get finished! I've got other cars and projects to work on.

First, let me get you caught up. In the last couple-a-few years, my wife and I packed up shop and moved across the country to start a new life and explore other opportunities that weren't there for us in California. We bought a neat old historic home, started restoring the home, which meant learning how to do proper repairs on the home, as well as learning some basic carpentry to build a space for all our "extras" (lawn stuff mostly), added a couple puppies to the family, and thanks to great friends, I accepted an incredible opportunity to work for a professional race team and fulfill my dream of working with cars every day for a living. I feel very blessed, but all that has created an very busy life. However, I'm finally able to get some work done on the car projects filling up my life. The Murray is of course at the top of that list...

FLASHBACK!

Right before packing up the shop in Huntington Beach, I busted some butt and got the body in sealer so it had a fighting chance of making it across the country without too much damage. It helped a TON, but the car still got a bunch of surface rust in crevices uncovered and unprotected from the 3 days of rain we saw including a tornado and sideways flying floods!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eventually landing in North Carolina and unloading my life into a house and a garage, I found I had ZERO room to work...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eventually I found a way to get what I could done, which wasn't much more than pulling the body off and finishing the exhaust cut-outs...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, a year later, the space issue only became worse with the purchase of a couple other projects and the need for other things a home-owner needs that I never dreamed I would purchase, but forced me to finally build an out-building. And because I really can't do anything "normal", I decided to build a period correct looking shed to go with our house. And yes... also pretty much from scratch. (GAH!)

[​IMG]

HOWEVER! This cleared up a bunch of space for me to get some work done IN the garage, instead of outside the garage. So I'm stoked and getting back in the groove. Things don't look a whole lot different than the above, but I'm more organized now and more motivated than ever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So lately, I've just been getting everything ready for paint. That means a lot of work on the doors to clean up some old work I did early in the project, prepping little details that I can't go back to after paint, cleaning up the small areas of surface rust I got from the trip out here, and getting the firewall all painted.

[​IMG]

I FINALLY got some time to put some effort into finishing up the exhaust. I still need to make block-off plugs for the drive shaft header cut-outs, but other than that, they are finish welded and ready for final prep for coating.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So stay tuned, folks! This is finally going to come to an end in this thread. I will post as I get time. Race season is gearing up again, but other weekend projects have been pushed back to get work done on this car. I miss working on it and one thing is for sure... That Hemi hasn't been fired in FAR too long, so I'm looking forward to hearing that roar to life again.

Thanks everyone! Keep an eye on this thread for updates, if interested. I'll do my best to keep it coming!

CHEERS!

S

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Lil'Alb, Gotgas, catdad49 and 16 others like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to study your top chop, I have one of my own to do. Bob

3. 55willys

55willys

I like the style and attention to detail.
    Jim Ford

4. nice
    i remember you buying that thing
    way to keep going and just keeping it
    tk

5. Sounds good, been wondering what was happening after your move.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Glad to see this back again! Your thread was one of the first I read front to back when I joined the hamb.
    Excited to see it done!

Joe

7. BarryA

BarryA

Looking forward to following your progress again Scott! Can't wait to see it on the road

8. Great to see you back on the build! I'll have to share some pics of my 1 1/2 stall "two stall workshop" :D

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm hoping to see this thing all painted ( will be watching for tech and details on that part if possible :) ) and done. I know what long term projects are like as I have my own. :D
    Larry

10. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Scott....Congrats on the Job Opportunity and much success to you...I followed all your other build Diaries, but never posted, I don`t think......Great to see you back at it....

11. Like your instrument panel, great shape.

12. My favorite fordor.

13. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!! and I'm a little envious.

14. Great to see you back on it Scott! I was hoping when you posted some pics on Instagram that you might be firing things back up.

kmc777 likes this.
  15. great to see this back on the cards, despite the feeling of a fish that might have got away, tend to feel the period of time between then and now will be a good thing, as it will give you a fresh perspective and re-kindled fire to move forward. Look forward to seeing this next chapter evolve.

Cheers,
    Drewfus

16. And you are??...........................glad to see the project going again.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone!

Feels so weird to post about this car, actually. It's like going to a class reunion at your old high school, but the school has been remodeled and your classmates have grown up, decided not to participate any longer, or god forbid passed-on, yet those who are still hanging around, it's good to hang out and chat.

catdad49, Stogy and D-Russ like this.
  18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Glad to see you back on it, I want a phone call before you fire that hemi!

19. belair

belair

Congratulations on the job. That is cool. And so is that car. BTW-I noticed you have two Murrays. What size hemi is going in the mower? You have to keep up with Moriarty, you know.

Daddy Deville likes this.
  20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Cool car, Your shop looks nice, especially the high ceiling!

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you've been gone?

kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  22. @scootermcrad -

Great to see you posting about your "Modified Murray" (or did you decide it was actually a "Bitchin' Briggs"?) build again!

I give this thread 5 Scooters:

FiveScooters.jpg

23. 55willys

55willys

I was looking at the car so much when I posted that I didn't realize whose car it was. Nice to see you back on it. And congrads on the job. The adapter cover thing is starting to take off and I am having to make my own adapters as Dick Spadaro no longer sells them. Cant wait to see your car finished.
    Jim Ford

24. woodbox

woodbox

Looking great. Can't wait to see it on the road.

25. Jen......

Jen......

welcome back

subscribed

26. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sooo glad to see that you're gonna get this completed.

vic

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Been waiting to see this completed. What's that future project lurking above your garage door?

28. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Totally blindsided by the progress of the Murray, looks like you turned it into a roadster now, excellent. I didn't see that coming :) #murrayroadsterclub
    IMGP7268.jpg

29. kinda proud of ya dude....sounds like you were taking care of that other better half....good job there....and good your able to play around a little there now.....

30. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you.....are a mental case

kidcampbell71, Maverick Daddy and Q like this.