Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 chevy frame repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crass, Dec 22, 2014.

1. crass

crass

my 51 chevy has some major rot on the passenger side frame, my first instinct is to just clip the whole front and try replacing it with a donor. The driver side is still solid but the passanger side looks like there is no hope. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions to fix this. I'm doing a 350 conversion on this convertible frame.
    image.jpg

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man how the heck did it rust like that?? You could replace both rails with some square tubing and then install a MII frontend.

3. indyjps

indyjps

A clip may be the best option at this point, what's the rest of the frame look like though? I've never done one of these cars, there's a lot of great info here on them, getting your track width correct will be the biggest thing.

4. I agree. I would do a clip. But only if the rest of the frame is solid. Even if you replace that rotten rail. .... looks like all your bushings are shot. You'll be cheaper and less down time with a G body clip (for example) plus you'll have a lower stance. Better steering and disk brakes.

5. cavman

cavman

If it's that rusty there, it's really rusty in places you can't see. I'd look for a different frame and put the X-member in the new one.

6. Slopok

Slopok

You must've found the only Illinois car in California.o_O

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

probably rusted from the inside out. you only see part of the troubles, get another frame and swap in the convertible X member.

8. crass

crass

It actually came from Pennsylvania, it has been sitting for decades. You can tell it was parked with the driver side up against a barn or house or something with a little overhang for a long time that protected part of it. The passenger side got most of the rain. It looks like the water that leaked down through the hood gathered around the passenger front frame rail right there and just rotted it. The rest of the frame is really solid even the driver side rail looks fine, this is the worst of it. The big X member is really beefy and solid. The floorboards peeled up like wet cardboard when I got it, they are gone now but protected the rest of the frame pretty good from getting rained on but I got a pretty good look at the whole frame top and bottom. I don't really want to do a whole frame swap I don't think it needs it and this isn't going to be a show car. Front clip seems to be the best option, but I was wondering if just this one side could be replaced with square tubing.. I think it could. I know it needs the whole front end redone, I wouldn't mind doing a MII front end but I want to keep the original steering column.. Is there a way that can be done? G body clip sounds ok but then I couldn't use my original column could I? Anyone know what years and models would swap? Just wanted a few opinions before I tackle it.

9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keeping the original steering column isn't too big of a deal, since I haven't looked at an early 50's steering setup for a few years, I hope my memory isn't totally gone. I used part of an late 40's early 50's GM steering shaft and tube to make the steering column for my 38 Chevy using MII rack. I used this link found here on HAMB to puzzle it out.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/steering-column-bearings.828516/
    The picture illustrates how the firewall side would appear, while it appears original on the interior side.
    Good luck on the frame "fix". 7 13 14 b.JPG

10. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I think you can fabricate a section fairly easy. I would buy a piece of rectangular tubing the same width as the frame and taller, maybe 6" tall, and then zip it off to the correct height with a plasma cutter. A flat strap an inch or so wider than the tubing could then be welded to the now open bottom to give the factory "top hat" design. The replacement rail could be made up in an hour but getting all the rust and frame fragments off down to really solid base could take a while. I think your factory frame is 11 gauge or maybe 1/8".

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The centre x-member from the convertible is a lot beefier than it's sedan cousin if you change entire frames, you'll need to swap this over as well.

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I knew that looked like a PA frame. I've got some just like it. you should be able to find someone here on the HAMB that has a spare junker frame laying around for a piece to replace yours. but, for all that trouble, a clip would be the same work.

13. it's easy the separate the body and frame you could do it with tubing but it wouldn't look like the other side, having metal bent to size and adding a cap on the bottom or just find a good section from another frame and splice it would also be the easiest i don't like M11 FRONT SUSPENSIONS! a clip is a better way to go a lot better suspension, steering and brakes. you can keep the steering column just has be be cut add a bearing and a joint or two depending an alignment

14. ...I clip'd this 49 with a 70 Nova front, worked out great.
    49 fastback.jpg