Register now to get rid of these ads!

'50 Chevy Project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AustinEdens, Dec 22, 2014.

1. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Here's my 1950 Chevy Styleline sedan. I'll keep this build updated on the H.A.M.B. I'm new to this site and forums in general. I look forward to you guys' (and gals') opinions as this build progresses.

As of now, it needs a gas tank, carb rebuild, rear brakes, and those few small things that pop up.

Future plans (will possibly change) is maybe an Art Morrison chassis, mild SBC, 5 speed tranny, air ride, etc. Typical street cruiser.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419302539.889068.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419302553.637420.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419302599.374723.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419302612.395207.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419302624.293201.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419302641.811764.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419302654.296305.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419302665.930161.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419303103.530212.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419303117.497072.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Cool. I will be following this. I have a half rotten '50 also that I can't wait to get working on.

3. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

They make great street cruisers, I have had mine for 20 years, have had several other car over the years but i like to drive the 50 Chevy best. Good luck with it.

4. jrdeleon0430

jrdeleon0430

Awesome project. Will be following this. Thanks for sharing.

5. 'Mo

'Mo

It looks like a great start.

The first thing I usually do is throw in some lowering blocks. You can probably get them at Chevys of the 40's. (This doesn't change the shock length, either, BTW.)

Next, I ditch the bumper guards. (I love your shiny bumpers!)

You can buy a one-piece, stainless steel hood center strip that allows the removal of the hood ornament, leaving just a few holes to fill.

12/V conversion, repro Fentons and twin pipes, dual carbs, Petronix distributor conversion, and you're golden!
    (At least til you can lower the front, via cut coils or dropped uprights.)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  6. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Thanks for the tips Mo!

7. I'm in the middle of mine right now. I have my mustang 2 front suspension in, new 355 small block with a 700r4 trans, s-10 rear, just got my Gambino tail dragger rear kit and just ordered my air ride kit tonight. Hope to have back on the road by memorial weekend.

8. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Is Gambino's good? I've heard things about them before. I want mine bagged I just don't know who to go with.

9. if you want it low and a good ride you can't beat Gambino's. Don't skimp on bags either, I'm using slam specialties SS-6 bags. You don't want ones that balloon out.

10. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Where can I order all this from?

11. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Good luck on the build. I'm kinda partial to the '50's myself.

12. Gambino Kustoms is a member here. If you are an alliance member you get a discount from them. I bought mine off ebay from them. just search Gambino customs and their stuff comes up. I will be doing a build thread on mine as soon as I get a little farther along. I do have a bunch of pics on my facebook page. Take a look.

13. Those are great cars to work on. plenty of parts available.

14. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Added the new wheels and tires on today. Going to start prepping the body for paint soon. Anyone know where to get good door seals at?

Attached Files:

15. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Got mine from Chevs of the 40's. Cant remember if they were Steel Rubber or Soft Seal brand but they were good quality.

16. national chevy has all the seals. they have a huge cataloge just for 49-54 chevs. I've bought a ton of stuff from them.

17. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Good score, love the custom gas tank!:rolleyes:

18. Cool project! Love that six! Langdon's Stovebolt (Tom Langdon) has a ton of parts for this engine, make sure to check him out! The Stovebolt Mini HEI is based off of the S10, with GM parts for reliability. Some carbs, headers... vavroom! Can't wait to watch the progress!

19. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

I've been getting a shopping list together for the car. I have all the belt moulding and the trim that goes on top of the doors. HOWEVER, the car came with no clips. I seen Chevs of the 40s has the belt clips but no clips for the tops of the door. Are they the same? Should I just do away with that certain trim? Is there anywhere else that sells GOOD clips and not China-made ones?

Thanks in advance!

20. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Does anyone have a clue where to get a lock kit for the car? I've searched all major parts carriers and everyone has a kit for 55-57. I have no keys and my ignition cylinder is all locked up. I'd prefer to buy a whole set rather than piece everything together. And if that's the route, where can I get a trunk lock? All I can find is electric kits.

21. deto

deto

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I have built a few of these things and can offer my 2 cents...

22. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Body work has officially started!

Attached Files:

23. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Anyone want to loan me a SBC while I have the front off?

Attached Files:

24. Nice project, following the build.
    I have many 49-54 Chevrolet and Blueflame 6 parts.
    Feel free to contact me.
    Nice Moon tank!;)
    Robert J. Palmer

25. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

Thoughts or opinions on a top chop? It looks really cool when it's all said and done but is it worth the hassle? Having to get glass cut and redoing the trim? This will be driven frequently so sight visibility is an important factor too.

Attached Files:

26. It is your car, do as you wish.
    A chop is one of those things that for everyone that looks good, there are more that don't.
    The trim and glass are not the only things to be redone the window tracks as well times 4 in this case, and it is a ton of metal work.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  27. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

In that case, I'll pass. Not worth it to me.

28. AustinEdens

AustinEdens

It's been a while since an update. I bought a house this summer and have been remodeling so the car has been pushed to the side. But we're finally back making progress on it. We got the inner fenders painted and the fenders primed. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443102032.455457.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443102046.430574.jpg

29. Looking good!