Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32-34 P/U chops..question on windshield pillars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HardcoreZ28, Dec 22, 2014.

1. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Hey guys I'm doing some of the metal work on my 34 cab. I bought it with a 6" chop already roughly done. It was all properly braced and the rest of the cab was very solid. I have the rear of the roof all welded back in place and the fronts are tacked in too. I'd love to see what you guys have done metal work wise to compensate for the taper in the windshield pillars. Anyone have pics before paint? I want to make sure the windshield frame still sits nicely with no gaps.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of where I'm at.

2. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

On mine I skinned the a pillar and welded it back on with a little more taper.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419298223.405435.jpg

I believe the other way is to extend the shorter part top part of the pillar out to meet the lower part of the pillar.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

So your second method is just making a small top section to replace or extend the original so it's the same width as the lower half?

4. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Some guys cut the pillar vertically on both pieces , taper the bottom a little narrower, the top a little wider......search chop top ....you'll see plenty of threads!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Wow this made me think about when we did this on my 32 truck cab. At the time there were several HAMB threads on the subject and 2 ways to do it. (Although there are probably 10 ways to do it). The way went was to not pie cut the pillar. I'll post some pics maybe you can tell what option 2 is. The top part is cut almost even with the visor and that piece is split open to make it as wide as the bottom. That's it.

img_0230.jpg img_0233.jpg img_0240.jpg img_0241.jpg img_0242.jpg img_0248.jpg img_0250.jpg