Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HELP PLEASE: Halfmoon Bay/Kingdon/Fremont Drag Strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Lancer

Lancer

Fellow gear heads I need your help. I am looking for original photos from any of the drag strips listed above. Do you own some or know someone who does? If you know of an online resources with info that would be a great help as well.

Also looking for original programs, t-shirts, posters etc.

Do you have stories from attending any of these tracks? Did you race there?

Please drop me a note if you can answer yes to any of these questions.

Thanks, Lance

[email protected]

2. Lancer

Lancer

Looking for stuff like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mick Coyne likes this.
  3. 33HEMI

33HEMI

4. M.Edell

M.Edell

5. M.Edell

M.Edell

Also do a search on here for Fremont and on you tube there is old 8MM movies of both Fremont and Half Moon Bay.

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There was an issue of Church that was outstandingly full of pictures from Fremont in around 61-62. I have it but I am keeping it. I also have a HMB program from the '58 NorCal Championships. So they said. But it has a picture of my roadster in it at HMB. Once again I can't let it go. I thought I had another HMB program around here. Maybe it will turn up.

8. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks for the info guys. I think I need to clarify a bit on exactly what I am looking for and why. First up I would not be keeping any of these photos, I would only need them long enough to photograph or scan so you don't have to worry about losing them or giving them away. The main thing is that you own the originals. This is for a publishing project for Speed & Chrome Illustrated.

@M.Edell, I will drop you a PM, sounds like you could be a great resource for this project and we could share info to help both of us.

@RichFox thanks for the heads up on the Church issue, I will drop Coby a line. For the program you have, would love to be able to get that photographed to use. Lets see what we can work out okay.

@33Hemi, do you own those photos?

Thanks everyone.

Lance

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

Excellent.Thanks

10. Lancer

Lancer

I know more of you out there have info. Speak Up.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

12. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks for the help.

13. M.Edell

M.Edell

Went to Half Moon Bay yesterday and went to the Half Moon Bay Bakery on Main St where they have all these old photos and posters of Half Moon Bay Drag Strip on the wall.They also sell T Shirts and Dash Plaques. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mick Coyne likes this.
  14. Lancer,
    I was at half moon bay as well as other bay area strips and airfields when I was little but I was really little. I am a firm believer that memory is selective so what I remember may only be what I want to remember.

My sis has all the old fotos, I don't know if she ever took pics at the strip, she was the one with the camera. Next time I am home I'll dig though her stuff and see what she has. I know she has some old dry lakes stuff, maybe she has something of the old man's altered as well.

Lancer likes this.
  15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used to know Phillis Salamoni. Her dad, Phil, owned Half Moon Bay Bakery. I got some free donuts there. No pictures on the walls then.

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An elderly gentleman down the street use to run a white 57 210-283HP Fuely there in 57-58. He is looking for photos for me-he also has 8MM stuff on a disc --hope to turn some up. I ran there some too about 61-62 but don't have photos anymore.

17. Lancer -

I know where you can get the high-rez versions of the above two pics (and more like them) :rolleyes: ... checkout my Fremont Drag Strip ... PICS from 1964!!! thread. :)

All I ask is that if you choose to use any of them in your publication, proper credit is given to the photographer (my late father) ... and that I retain the rights to these images.

18. Lancer

Lancer

@ M.Edell Can thanks for the info on the Bakery.

@ Beaner, ya let me know what you can dig up

@ olscrounger let me know what he finds, would love to see them

@ HEMI32, thanks for contacting me, will call you soon.

Thanks everyone,

Lance

19. Lancer -

As I mentioned in our phone conversation, Roy "Andy" Brizio was the flagman @ the Half Moon Bay Dragstrip ... and his youngest daughter Terri (Born a HotRodGal) Hollenbeck posted these cool pics in her Andy Brizio's photo vault, you asked for it thread:

Half Moon Bay 1.jpg Half Moon Bay 2.jpg Half Moon Bay 3.jpg
    Half Moon Bay 4.jpg Andy Brizio - Starter @ HMB Dragstrip.jpg Half Moon Bay 5.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

Mick Coyne likes this.
  20. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks Todd,

Great photos.

I sent her a PM right after talking to you.

21. Here's some more "Half Moon Bay Drag Strip" B&W images culled from the Internet:

HMB August 24, 1958 cover.jpg HMB August 10, 1958 Results.jpg HMB August 10, 1958 Results Cont.jpg
    McLennan vs. Garlits @ HMB.jpg Jim McLennan Champion Speed Shop Dragster @ HMB.jpg Champion Speed Shop Dragster @ HMB.jpg
    Don Prudhomme with HMB 'Theme Girl' Tammy Thomas.jpg Moody.jpg HMB 0026.jpg

22. ... and some "Half Moon Bay Drag Strip" color images (also culled from the Internet):

HMB 1961 - #2 Roadster.jpg HMB 1961 - #40x Roadster.jpg HMB 1961 - ARDUN Dragster.jpg
    HMB 1961 - Garlits Swamp Rat Too.jpg HMB 1961 - Glass Slipper.jpg HMB 1961 - Swamp Rat Too.jpg
    HMB 1961 - Too Much Sedan.jpg Half Moon Bay Dragstrip logo.jpg HMB 0004.jpg

23. Lancer

Lancer

Hemi32, thanks for the help. Looking forward to meeting up with you very soon.

24. Lancer

Lancer

I've been making some great contacts. Keep'em coming. Thanks for the help.

25. Lancer

Lancer

Still looking for photos.

26. topfuel1

topfuel1

Hi Lance. My father raced at Kingdon from 1961 - 67 and he was in the Air Force with the late Connie Swingle and Mad Dog Don Cook. I have put together a history museum for Kingdon Drag Strip. I set up the display every year. I have photos from 50's - 70's. I also have direct contact with the original president of Valley Timing Association. I've attached a sample of photos that I have.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

27. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

28. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

33HEMI likes this.