Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fake Patina paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

it's your car... Make it look how you want it to look.

poboyross likes this.
  2. Yes there's a huge helping of sarcasm in my post , for all the reasons you said.
    Personally i think there's way too much of the bags laying frame stuff on here, and if it's good for that guy and the other guy it's gotta be good for any guy.

Now I understand the work involved to get there, the engineering and craftsmanship can be outstanding on those rigs, but in the end it looks stupid. I understand the look is all the rage but I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder if they just are in competition for who can look the dumbest, you know like a funny face contest.

little red 50, norms30a, X38 and 3 others like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, now I get it. I was wondering what was going on. I thought sarcasm was implied by "roll-eyes", not "big grin".

4. 117harv

117harv

No disrespect to the OP, but you have been a member here for 4 years and you didn't know what a hot, go nowhere topic this is? Doing a search with the word (patina) in the title brings up 130 threads that mirror this one. In the OP's defense, he was asking about Cumberland paint which I didn't find mentioned here, but still.

In one day we are at 4 pages, yet great traditional threads, get a post or two and drop out of site? Sadly this post brings it back to the top...sigh.

5. didnt say ifn' I was right or wrong, but with the propensity for people to do fake patina paint now a days, yours indeed does look purposely done, thats all I was saying, it may not be, but since all the hipsters started doing it, yours, sadly falls into that category. not deserved but it is what it is. I dig your truck, it is nice enough and deserves nice paint.

6. That's different but ,,,,

Well if we take this logic and assume its "value of truth" is absolute, then there's a bunch of stuff that folks should be equally over enthusiastic about.

Every concourse restoration accurately representing or recreating the vehicle's condition is equally fake as a faux patina job, only the other direction.

cktasto, Dick Stevens and Special Ed like this.
  7. Jeff: Can you post a pic of the 1/8th scale '32? Maybe in sunday models. I'd love to see it. I have a few of them myself. Tim

8. Anyone have a picture of a '70s flocked barn find? Bet that would be some nasty looking patina.

9. LAROKE

LAROKE

Hipster! I'm actually a geezer and there is an epic struggle going on right now between my weak will and my lazy ass. That remark might just be the spur I need to get out in the shop and get some work done. Thanx.

10. ..........................Think of it like this, Chris, they're licensed by Ford so just consider them a "continuation of production", albeit a few years after the fact, and they're "farmed" out to someone else, much like everything else these days.:D

i.rant and 40fordtudor like this.
  11. ............................So true! I remember the first time I saw one of those it was a dark green Thunderbird. It looked like a pool table going down the street.:D

12. hahahahahahha, good on ya man, you have a beautiful truck indeed.

13. Muttley

Muttley

This guy thinks fake stuff looks good:

[​IMG]

Special Ed likes this.
  14. LOL I think I saw him in a public restroom in Muir Woods last month. :eek: :D

15. call it what you like, I call it "desired finish". This is the finish the owner of this truck desired and thats what the students gave him.
    I like it

IMAG1392.jpg IMAG1393.jpg

Attached Files:

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Fake paint, fake tits, weird shit stuffed in yer BVD's, parts liscensed by Ford ( made in you know where), restored cars using new parts? FAKE!- this is like the Hot Rod Matrix!!

17. My avatar says it all
    The real deal

18. You probably did. I know him. Or his twin brother. He's from the Oakland Hills (Montclair I believe).

19. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've seen some nicely done artistic jobs. But most look just what they are, fake. With use patina comes quickly enough after putting on any finish. Why fake it unless your trying to match a fender to a existing original finish? Do the best job you can and enjoy it.

swe64 likes this.
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.