Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pair O' Dice, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Tin Can

Tin Can

Thank you very much madfish. Can you post the pictures separately?

2. madfish

madfish

3. madfish

madfish

4. Looks way too boxy without the top being chopped....

silver.jpg

LeoH and madfish like this.
  5. cosmic12

cosmic12

I have what could be a difficult one for the photo shop guys. I have a guy that wants me to chop his 54 Belair HT but wants me to use a 58 Impala roof to do it. Its a interesting idea and might work out for pancaking it a bit along with the addition of the rear line and scoop. I really would like to know what it would look like before I start or even go through trying to find a doner roof (good luck with that huh?) So if it is possible could someone give it a try?

6. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Moose beat me to the punch, but here's my version. 60 Lark Section 04.jpg Chopped and sectioned.

LeoH and madfish like this.
  7. wisdonm

wisdonm

Great job madfish, you've got skills.

LeoH, that's the way it should have been built originally. I keep saying, it doesn't cost any more to make a pretty car than an ugly one. Why were so many ugly ones produced? Who approves this stuff, three blind mice?

LeoH likes this.
  8. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Thank you Madfish! It didn't turn out as Euro as I had floating in my head, but it looks way more sporty than the original economy car box it started as and it's growing on me. I think the color change to black top was a good choice, as was removing the trim. Is that an optical illusion, or did you gold touch the emblem on the grill? Could you try some front bumper options? Leaving the rear stock looks good from this angle, I was concerned the original bumper might be too thick in proportion to the idea of a sports car.
    Thank you for addressing the wheels, I didn't want to go batshit on anyone and ask for a laundry list. This does have definite roadster possibilities, though, based on how clean it looks now. I've actually had 2 "nice looking car" comments from coworkers looking at this image, not knowing what you did to the original shape! How about that?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  9. cosmic12

cosmic12

imagesBCXNYXPJ.jpg imagesLSUDW6VR.jpg Opps, forgot to put some pics up on the request post. I really hope someone can do this. Maybe these pics aren't good enough if not I can try to find better ones. imagesDQ2V4QO8.jpg imagesDQ2V4QO8.jpg

10. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Well, when you figure where Studebaker's mindset was at the time, Harold Churchill's Lark was a Hail Mary proposal, and it did save Studebaker's bacon for a few years. I don't know that the Avanti would have helped a whole lot more, if it had come out on time and ready to go. I think the Avanti was a smarter path to follow, business-wise, than a necessarily sporty econo car, as the Lark was intended. Don't forget, they used the late 50's sedans as the platform for the Lark in order to save money on new tooling, so it was a successful idea, based on sales figures. It just wasn't enough.

11. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Thank you Rot n Kustom! A completely different look than where my vision had gone, but I like it. It does prove to me the front bumper would need a tweak, I think that's too wide a visual piece of chrome, and takes away from the body lines, which was where my overall original imaginings were focusing. The skirts still make a statement. With your design, good choice, the red top and trim works better than if you'd gone stainless trim and black top, imo. I think the wire wheels are there to stay.

12. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Ooooh!! That's nice! I like what you did with the taillights, and your front shows definitely trimming the bumper is necessary. You all have turned this car design into something completely new. Well done! Looking at the 3, definitely different directions you all went, but they all look very nice and all of them are solid starting points to tweak here and there...but just in little details.

13. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I lean towards the first set of rims and tires. With the white wagon, it's tough, but the rims on the car now don't work, imo. Whether you try the 1st or 2nd set of rims, a contrasting color on the brake drums would be worth the effort, with the white on the car. imho.

14. I have to admit ...It's different.....

58Roof.jpg

15. madfish

madfish

Minor tweaks.

lark convertible.jpg

LeoH likes this.
  16. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Widened the chin, the top down looks sharp. Chopped the windshield. Little more arch in the rear fender. I'm liking it more and more. The spotlights are fun and ok, but how about some sideview mirror options instead? I know, like the line in the movie, "What's behind me, is not important", but they still can make a styling statement. This is definitely turning out to look like stylish roadster potential. The only thing more pleasing than conceiving a new idea is to see others enjoy it too.

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

this is turning out much better than I anticipated

LeoH likes this.
  18. cosmic12

cosmic12

Thanks, but not quite the proportions I was thinking about. But good try probly better than I could do.

19. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

My version definitely has a more American flavor. The Brits used to choke when we put whitewalls on their wire wheeled cars, but I like 'em! I really dig Studebakers and almost bought a Lark last year. Still might be in my future.

LeoH likes this.
  20. I don´t think this is a bad idea, but you won´t easily turn it into an MGA or a Jag.
    I might think about shortening the wheelbase if it´s the look of a sports car you´re after.
    Stock...
    [​IMG]

Sectioned and shortened...
    [​IMG]

Though TBH you couldget similar results by opening out the wheel arches and fitting bigger wheels and tyres.

LeoH likes this.
  21. madfish

madfish

James, you're so right. It's easy to do in photoshop but it would take a lot of effort to make it work in reality. I keep thinking of the feeble attempts to create sports car like products like the Cadillac Biarritz and the Chryler Maserati. My thinking is that after all is said in done you still end
    up with a Studebaker Lark... no matter how you cut it.
    The one you just cut and sectioned reminds (for some odd reason) of an earlier Peugeot 304.

LeoH likes this.
  22. Funny you should mention the Peugeot, as that's just what i was thinking.
    It's true, sadly, after investing all your time and effort, you'd still end up with a relatively valueless Lark, but that said, there are some talented people here who could do this kind of work if they had a mind to. If you can do the work yourself, then it wouldn´t cost a lot, if nothing else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LeoH likes this.
  23. Tweeked it around a bit..

i2.jpg

24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

could one of you photoshop pros make this car this color?

Attached Files:

25. Tin Can

Tin Can

Thank you very much madfish. Any other cool color combos you can think of? I'm going for a mid to late 60 s mild custom look

26. atomickustom

atomickustom

Wouldn't it be easier to chop the original Chevy top and just add the '58 scoop to the rear of the roof like to did so much back in the early 60s?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. cosmic12

cosmic12

Yes it would but we want to take a bit of the crown/hump out of it also so just trying to kill 2 birds kinda thing. I also plan on bring those lines down onto the deck lid ending in a license plate frame.

28. cosmic12

cosmic12

That's getting better by along shot! Is the body getting squeezed or something? Thinking it needs to be a bit lower also. Thanks again!

29. Here it is a bit lower and No, the body is not being touched and retains it original size and proportions. I can move and stretch the roof any way you want but I'm trying to retain it's basic proportions to simulate what it will look like in the real application. It's easy to do in Photoshop but would obviously require a lot more effort to make it work exactly right in a real world application .That being said, lower.jpg I suppose that anything can be done if you have enough "Want To"

kiwijeff and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  30. madfish

madfish

blue t bird.jpg

verde742 and themoose like this.