Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can you Say Ramp Truck? Or Too Rare to Cut Up? 1955 GMC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tudor, Dec 8, 2014.

1. demonspeed

demonspeed

I vote ramp truck too! Plus, having a ramp truck gives you an excuse to build a racecar to tow around with it!

Ponti461, volvobrynk and Tudor like this.
  2. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Yep. You should definitely build a racecar.

3. roughneck424

roughneck424

Yep everyone needs a Ramp Truck and matching race car. Mr. Chevy style

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Maybe build a cool digger to haul around on it!!!

stealthcruiser likes this.
  5. I gotta go with the majority,that would make a great ramp truck. HRP

6. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Your GMC may have more value as a restorable military vehicle than you think. Ask questions on the MVPA website.

The military used a 302 in deuce and a halfs that is totally different from the civilian 302. It's longer and very resistant to tuning. I cannot tell the difference with out the two side by side but I am sure that a military vehicle collector will know. Based on my experience of driving the military trucks max speed will be restricted to about 40 mph by the governor.

Tudor likes this.
  7. I think a motor home rear axle is where I need to start. They seem to have better ratios. That combined with the transmission will let me get the speeds up enough to travel the interstate with a 2500 lb race car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Yah, what he said!

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What are you saying about the rear axle ratio being affected by7 the transmission? Is that 5 speed direct in 5th, or OD in 5th?

10. I am saying simply using a lower numerical rear end ratio like a 4:11 or 4.56:1 would work with the existing transmission and produce higher highway speeds with those large diameter tires. I think a motor home rear end will have better available ratios. I think 5th it direct and 1 is Granny.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Need to find out whether 5th is OD or direct for sure, FIRST. It will make a helluva difference in rear ratio requirements.

12. The first is absolutely a granny. I can't imagine them having a OD ratio available back then for this - especially designed to haul? I do agree, I'd love to have the information on the trans. I'll probably just jack up the rear and put it in gear and turn the engine over in 5th to confirm DOM. I am having a hell of a time finding details. From the Steel Soldiers board it does not have an "M" in front of the model # and that limits the information available for it. Those guys are very into Tradness in Military Vehicles. Appear to be very hard core dudes over there with a lot of very cool stuff! Deuce and a Halfs appear to be where it's at.

55GMC 4x2 (11).JPG

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you did go modern diesel, and GM Duramax, you want 05 or newer with the LLY/LBZ series engines. The injectors were moved so the top of the engine doesn't have to come apart and they live in a cleaner environment. You'd likely need a whole truck like a wrecked Top Kick. My Dmax weighs around 4 tons (4X4 crew dually) and empty can pull down about 18MPG at 72 MPH. Loaded I've seen a best of just under 12, and I could improve even more. As sinful as it may seem the best modern light truck diesel was the 92 through 02 (?) 7.3 Powerstroke. We dragged a 38' tri axle gooseneck trailer full of alky F/C and spares/tools at over 70 MPH in a 95 7.3 equipped dually crew from Det to Liechester NY and back. Our 2 way average was just under 17 MPG. Yes, I said seventeen. Ramp truck, roll back, and any number of kool upgrades. Since the truck is so clean you wouldn't have to worry about all the usual suspects in the rust dept. Unless you're into restoration where you can show at AACA events. Some of those restored big trucks are insanely kool.

14. i have to agree my uncle has a 99 7.3 powerstroke and almost 400k on it. personally would really love a 94 or 95 bodied one.

btw that is a awesome find. enjoy it.

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'll have to agree on the 7.3 powerstroke being the best diesel light truck engine ever, and on the injectors being easier to get at on the newer Duramax engines which I think actually started as a 04.5, but all thar does is reduce labor in replacing them. Still a problem with short injector life on all the newer diesels of ALL MAKES that have the high pressure common rail injector system. These things operate with pressures in the neighborhood of 20,000 psi, and the least bit of trash just eats up the innards.
    I suggest we get off this diesel discussion before we get deleted.

16. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

When 5th is back towards the seat its usually always direct,Over is up against the dash. One case in point however is late forty early fifty GMC's of the class 8 series had a 5th that was over against the seat,I've only seen one of those but they did make them,smaller trucks such as these didn't have those. The military 302's and the civillian are pretty much the same,there are some changes but I'm pretty sure length isn't one of them,GM used the military 302 in the Futurliners right along with the auto gear box from the early deuce and a halfs.

volvobrynk likes this.

17. Duece n a halfs are cool. I made the last 12 on a 40 klic creep in the back of a stolen deuce n a half once. :D

Like I said earlier I would cut it up and not to too worried about it. The final gear is going to be a killer on this deal, I'll bet it is a 45 mph vehicle, but gears are easy. Maybe not to fit in the original rear but if you know guys that collect that stuff you are halfway there price wise.

volvobrynk and Tudor like this.
  18. You are getting into an area that is very frustrating, the mid size trucks had and still have so many different options for rear axles, brakes, wheel bolt patterns, 2 speed vs single that it gets frustrating trying to come up with what you want. You know it is probably out there, but don't know where to find it or who to ask. Most salvage yard guys are either 1 ton and smaller or semi truck knowledgeable.
    I think the first thing to do is decide if you want to stick with the wheels you have on it, if so, try to find an axle with the same bolt pattern as the wheels with the gear you want. If you don't care or want to upgrade the wheels/tires, then the gear ratio and width are most important variables.
    Want to get overwhelmed, read the thread on Stovebolt about wheels/tires and also disc brakes by Grigg in Big Bolts, he has done alot with the midsize trucks.

Another option would be to put a 14bolt or Dana 60 or 70 out of a 1ton and make or buy wheel adapters to run your existing wheels. A 14bolt can be had in 3.73, 4.10 and 4.56 for sure. Dana 60's have a much better range for higher gears.
    What is the bolt pattern on it?

Tudor likes this.
  19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Took a closer look @ the pic you posted of dash plaque of gearshift pattern, and I think it is direct in 5th.
    What you need is 4 people: Jack the truck up in rear, mark driveshaft and rear tires. Post a person underneath to count driveshaft revolutions, and one at each rear tire, one on each side in case the differential allows one to turn less. Fourth person actuate starter whilew in 5th gear and the other 3 counting.
    That way you can determine trans ratio in 5th and rear gear ratio.
    But the way the 1st gear position and rev. position are both way over on right does lead me to agree with Vintage Iron, and that 1st is really a "Super Granny" for low speed maneuvering and placed just below rev. for such use.

Tudor likes this.
  20. Dirty Old man,
    I am not the world's renowned expert on the subject but I have had some experience with a couple of old haulers. Those that I have played with when the 1st and reverse were off to the wrong side had the same ratio. Usually low enough that you could get out and walk next to it in either direction.

Tudor likes this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I used to drive a M35 REO for quiet some time, they use the almost same pattern, but they switch the 2 and 3 possition, that was weird to drive.
    We didnt use the 1 for anything with no load. And it had Hi/Lo too, but it was OD 5, and quiet a jump between 4 and 5. And low was only for off road.
    But did drive well and the multifuel engine ran good. And that would be a cool retrofit, then you can run diesel, but dont have too.

Just me being slow, but was this a medium/Small truck in 55? Over here 4-6 tons where big trucks! And a 100 HP was a strong engine, and 4 speed was most common. And Diesel was starting to be more common, and they made desent power.
    The local truckdriver had a 5Ton truck, Diesel straight 6 90hp, four speed and 4 ton trailer. He ran gravel from the dig site too the big town 50km away, and 10% overweight was the norm, to make money.
    Image the hard work that involves in shifting crashbox with a fully loaded truck, with lots of hills.

But I would thing about doing the math from home, what value of gears, what size of tires and Direct Vs OD and go mix and match for the best result. There must be a junk yard that has the right combo.
    But a drivetrain swap for you engine and frame, would be the best way to go. Much better then frame swap.

My explenation such but, looking in to facts about specific items forehand. Like If the Combo of Winsbago rear work with 70 ice cream gearbox with 22" tires. Or a will a REO gearbox work with your gears and new tires. Because looking for 8 different items that will work, save you alot a trips back and fourths.

Just my two cents, and change.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  22. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Problem with changing to higher gear is you need enough motor to pull the gear ...

stealthcruiser likes this.
  23. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

And another gear change option would be to install an auxillary gear box,Spicer and Watson were the makers of those boxes and they can still be found in salvage yards and don't run an arm and a leg and pretty easy to install especially of you get shifter,the tree and drivelines. You would end up with a low,which you won't need a direct which is fine and the sought after over.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. desotot

desotot

My first thought was that it should stay stock, but then it would just stay parked in your yard instead of the previous owners yard, but with a diesel and longer legs, you just might use it.

stealthcruiser and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Motolife

Motolife

IMG_20150813_123700878.jpg IMG_20150520_185518909.jpg Hey I have one that me and my dad picked up and we couldn't figure out what year till I did a little research I don't know where to find parts for this truck plz link me to any part sorces for this truck any help would be nice

volvobrynk and Tudor like this.
  26. The brownie boxes with overdrive are not as common as the ones that were low and direct. They made a few combinations, there is a 3 and 4 speed box with OD, but the non OD boxes seem to be more popular. At least they were when I was looking for mine. If you find one, make sure and research the model number to make sure it is an OD, other wise you don't need it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. spooler41

spooler41

Love this one,looks like it would make a nice roll back rig.

,........................... Jack

28. One thing to think about when working on a GMC. GMC stands for Gods Mechanical Curse! LOL