Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Insurance without a garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travisn706, Dec 10, 2014.

1. travisn706

travisn706
    from Georgia

I have searched through this sight but can't find the answer to my question. I have a Hot Road that I had to park under a covered car port. Is there a insurance company that will allow me to do this, my garage is full at the moment and can't fit it in and need insurance I have ACI and they said they wouldn't cover me anymore. Any Suggestions

2. From what I know about specialty car insurance,if you want a specific value on your car it has to be kept inside under lock & key. HRP

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

The risk for an insurer will increase a big bunch if the vehicle is not garaged. The liability portion pretty much remains the same. I think you're going to have a very difficult time finding an insurance co. (specialty type) that will want at assume the risk. Maybe State Farm??

4. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I can tell you one thing and that is you be insurance to burn your feets if you step on that hot road w/o shoes on. wah-wah-wah!!!!

5. travisn706

travisn706
    from Georgia

I work for a Streets and Drainage company so I type Road about 200 times a day, I was going typing fast. :))

6. Timbofor

Timbofor

I have American family insurance and no garage. Granted I also have homeowners, and life insurance with them. But they didn't ask if I have a garage or how many miles a year I drive. It's tacked into my regular car insurance policy as a classic car. My VW is appraised at 10k and costs me $9 a month with no mileage limits. My '58 Chevy, same value is the same price. Only catch is you must have a regular car insured with them to qualify. If your wife has a newer car on the policy the classic can be the secondary and used as a daily for you for example.
    BTW, hagerty wouldn't even talk to me. Said my car was too far modified for them to bother with.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I was just busting your chops a little Travis. I misspell a lot of words and my only excuse is poor education.

8. I've never had them ask either. I have Hagerty's as well.....I believe they asked if I owned or leased....but am sure after paying premiums for so long....I may be mistaken.

Either way....if anything happened to my "car port'ed car"......it would have only been under the port because I was washing it at the time....and just stepped inside to eat. Wouldn't matter what time of day or night....just unreel the hose, and toss the buckets and suds out.....and slur some mustard on a cheek when the cops come.

9. Virtually every insurance company I called required that the vehicle be garaged if you wanted 'specialty' coverage, and that includes all the 'names' (Hagerty, etc). And it has to be garaged at your home address, so no renting storage space elsewhere.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I have Hagerty and myhot rod is garaged in my commercial shop about a mile and a half away from my home and they seem OK with that. Perhaps the fact that I own the building and have a monitored security system with a dedicated, built in cell phone to call monitoring service helps.

11. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

We have sold our home due to wife's medical issues and rent a condo now, so no garage. I tried a UStore but since only I drive, wife doesn't anymore, it was a pain to get the car when we wanted it. No specialty insurance broker would cover the car without a locked garage. They may not ask if you have a garage but be assured if you make a claim and they can proved you didn't, they'll show you the fine print on the contract where one is required. So I called my agent and my regular car insurance company, Union Mutual, covers the '40 for value when I submitted a professional appraisal. I have regular passenger plates on the car, no street rod or antique plates. It is a not our primary vehicle on the policy. This way I have no restrictions for mileage or purpose of use. Too damn old to bother with that crap anymore.

12. travisn706

travisn706
    from Georgia

I just talked to them again and they said if I closed up 2 sides they would continue to cover me, I wouldn't fall into a regular car category because I'm considered highly modified. I can close it up for about 600.00, so that is my next project.

13. Was wondering if you could do that......seems to be the new popular thing here. Carport over the driveway in front of the garage.....and garage doored at the end....with board on board privacy fencing on the sides. Regular compunds on nearly every home of Dallas suburbia. Rather nice really....but first I've seen of such. Appeals to hot rod horders everywhere.

14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have had a couple of "specialty" insurance companies in the past. They have always wanted pictures of the car, several views, and a picture of the car in a garage (one view door open, one with door closed). This was on the initial policy only. They have never asked for that on renewals.

15. demonspeed

demonspeed

I have Grundy and they asked if mine was stored in an enclosed, locked garage (it is). I don't have any experience with other companies though.

16. oldolds

oldolds

If it is one of those tin topped carports, just get more tin and enclose it. It will only take a few minutes.