Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods y block pulleys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragonknucks, Nov 29, 2014.

1. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Hey fellas,

We are putting my brother's 292 back together and we can't get the harmonic balancer and water pump pulley to line up. The alternator and balancer line up, but the water pump pulley is about half a pulley off. Anyone have any ideas? I tried uploading pics but they are too big.

Thanks!

2. Did you change water pumps or pic up the wrong pulley from the pile?

3. 55Brodie

55Brodie

If u changed the water pump to a new rebuilt one, the rebuilder may have missed the mark as to how far the fan hub got pressed on. If too far you should be able to shim the pulley out the amount you need.

4. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Water pump is whatever came on it. He never changed it. That doesn't mean a previous owner hasn't changed it. The pulley sticks out further than the balancer. I don't think he has any other pulleys around. Also, he just told me that he has pulled the balancer to paint it. It couldn't be pushed too far in could it? Pretty sure that's not possible

5. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Thanks for the help guys. We were finally able to figure it out. He made a gasket out of his "gasket material" and trimmed it down to where nobody could see it. He finally told me there was a gasket in between. I took it out and what do ya know. Fixed. Thanks again!

6. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

58ford1.jpg 58ford2.jpg For those that are interested, this is what that 292 is going into. My brother has been building this thing for a long while now and doesn't want to join the HAMB for some stupid reason. Oh well, his loss. Let me know what you guys think of the truck.

Attached Files:

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Nice old truck!

8. Mark T

Mark T

You mentioned in your first post that you were off by about a half of a pulley, how did a gasket cure that much misalignment? It sounds like you were off by about a 1/4''.

9. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

The gasket material he had was pretty thick. Plus silicone on either side. It pushed it out there pretty far. 1/4 inch might have been it. It looked "about" half a pulley.