Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sanderson header gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65gregg, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Sanderson recommends using Permatex Ultra Black instead of gaskets, did it work for you? I'm about to change my Hooker long tubes for a set of Sanderson's on my C10 and feel there are too many things in the way to get the headers in place without smearing the Permatex and messing up the gasket bead. I really considering regular gaskets but want advice from someone that's already been down this road, thanks.

2. I used permatex high heat copper on mine. Lay a 1/4" bead on the flange and let it set up for 30 minutes then install. It worked for me. The hardest part is not knocking it off. With a roadster its not that difficult. Good luck with your truck.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

Permatex worked fine for me.

Work In Progress likes this.
  4. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Worked great on my flathead!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Works good 4 me also.
    1 trick I've done over the years is cut a slice in the flange between the ports.
    Let's the flange expand and contract without pullin on the header bolts.
    Just my 2 cents

Flathead Dave likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used 5 or 6 sets on 40's-per instructions used the permatex--let it set for a few hrs and installed--no leaks

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

have had several Sanderson, never used a gasket

8. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

I used Permatex black as well, no issues. I let it set up and dry real good before I installed mine. Also every so often I put a wrench on all the header bolt just to make sure they are snug.

9. Installed mine, using the Black Permatex, been on there for four years no leaks.

10. Thanks for all of the responses. You guys have just made a lot of work for me, I'll just have to take more stuff off to get it out of the way, LOL.

11. CamSweet

CamSweet

I've put sanderson block huggers on my 350, a few different times and havn't found the secret to keeep them from leaking. Thought about swapping to a differrent manufacturer...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cpd682 likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. I use the Permatex Copper-clean the flange-apply a nice bead of the dope and I let it sit overnight. No mess-no leaks-no issues.

Work In Progress likes this.
  14. dan r brooks

dan r brooks

I agree with blue one if you do not want a header leak use reflex gaskets on both the collector and at the head more money but are worth it

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, worked just fine.

16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

About 1/8" bead. Let the Permatex completely cure over night. Then no worries about smearing it all over the place. I just did this 2 days ago. Exactly according to Sanderson headers instructions. The ones I did 2 days ago were not Sanderson. But I put the Permatex on the heads.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You can warp sanderson headers if you use a gasket set. Always use permatex.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  18. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

You can use clear GE silicone on them don't need all that fancy stuff. We prefer black on our repairs blends in better. Nothing looks more amateurish than that blue or copper silicone crap all over the place.

Flathead Dave and loudbang like this.
  19. Like Brian (Racer X) here on the HAMB , I change my zoomies out for my street friendly pipes many times during the season. So with that being said, I use the extreme header gaskets from Speedway, no leaks and the gaskets are re-usable .

loudbang likes this.
  20. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

If I recall my Sanderson headers came with gaskets. Not real happy with the headers themselves. After 150 miles they started looking real dull and colored. looks like a real cheap coating was applied. They wanted me to take them off and send them back, that's all well and good but what do I use for exhaust till I get them back.

21. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

mad mikey likes this.
  22. Follow the instructions. Be sure to let the sealer set up.