Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping by Bus-need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GO-rilla, Jan 23, 2006.

1. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

I have some seats to ship out to NY from OKC and have heard of shipping bulky items via G-Hound. Is this easy? How do you do it? I appreciate and help from you folks.
    Gabe

2. raven

raven

Piece of cake.
    Box them up and take them down to Greyhound.
    r

3. Gabe, call the local greyhoubnd station for the particulars.

but the basics is that you have to specify a bus station and a recipiant, they will need to be wrapped or boxed and you pay up front.

They will give you a number for the guy picking them up and tell you when they will arrive. I got a vega roof section from Ohio last year (ribbed filler for a coupe roof) cost me 35 bucks and it was here in 24 hrs.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Simply package the item very very well and take it to a greyhound terminal.
    I've seen packages mishandled and they take very very long getting to there destination. I wouldn't ship a fragile item.

5. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Yah, I shipped a tailgate from Tucson to PA. Wrapped it in cardboard, took it to the bus depot, 3 days later the guy called happy as could be.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have to be at the terminal when they arrive or do they just unload the piece and wait for you to show?

7. raven

raven

"Do you have to be at the terminal when they arrive or do they just unload the piece and wait for you to show?"

They would have your phone number and they call you when it arrives. Then you go down and pick the item up.
    r

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nope they will call you..but I always call them to make sure they know its on the way.

9. My coupe roof set there for 2 days before i got there. I made sure it could wait a day or so and that it wasn't outside at the terminal.

They are advertiseing overnight anywhere in the nation but it just isn't going to happen that way. It take longer than 24 hours to drive from New York to San Francisco.:D

10. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

it was real easy......they were much friendlier and cheaper than ups......

ups quoted around $130 and greyhound was $46 for the same trip...

11. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Thats rad guys, Thanks.
    Gabe

12. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

oh, i forgot, we're talking to go-rilla.......you'd better just let them sit....i don't know if you can handle this.....

13. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

We are looking for strong backs and weak minds. I suppose I'm qualified.

14. If you're takin' it downtown, don't take any cash (or just enough to ship it) and a baseball bat for the "residents". Oh, and go eat at the Lunch Box next door. Really good food.

15. rjgideon

rjgideon

I sent a back seat from a '64 Chrysler to CA using Greyhound and the seats were "lost" during shipping. Took 5 months to get a settlement from their Claims department. I won't ship with them again. Most people have received good service, but my experience was very bad.

16. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

I will do that my brotha, I just LOVE those homeless folks!

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

got the Mustang bench seat for my International via bus... merely folded it over and wrapped in 6 mil plastic... quick and cheap....

18. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

zman, you left off heavy!

19. Go to the web site and you will find station locations, schedules and a rate calculator. Very easy. Not all stations are equiped for freight. (Some are nothing more that a signpost by the road.)They do have a size limit. (larger than any of the usual delivery companies).It must fit completely within the luggage compartment under the bus. I don't think there is any weight limit just so long as it can be lifted into the hold. I was unable to ship a 54 Caddy hood this way because it was about an inch too wide and the door wouldn't shut. I shipped the fenders from Oakland CA. One went to Georgia, one went to New Jersey. Each cost $60. Full fenders including inner fender. Fairly bulky. I taped card board over all sharp edges and wrapped it all up in a cocoon of stretch wrap.It took about a day and a half to get cross country. They require the recipients phone number and will call them when the stuff arrives. Some locations offer delivery from terminal to recipient for an extra charge.They have a tracking system and barcoding. $300 insurance comes standard and you can buy additional.I've used them 4 or 5 times and it's very simple and low tech. The folks at Oakland are very nice and do a good job. That really tried to get that hood onboard. Pack your stuff so that it won't be damaged if suitcases get piled up on it. Your shipment will be transferred to another bus along the if there isn't a direct route between you and the recipient. Make sure that your stuff is as easy to handle as possible to reduce chance of transfer. They have their own labeling but I make sure I've also labeled it for redundency. You don't even need to package some things probably.For me it's been no sweat. I can't speak for every location.

20. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

Greyhound is great price wise. http://www.shipgreyhound.com/
    I just received my model a rear quarters , doors, deck lid, trunk lid and rear sub frame shipped from Ohio to Kingston NY for $129.65 . The guy insured it for $1000, it was 4 bucks in that total. Got here in one day. Only mix up was Greyhound listed the Kingston depot, they didnt tell me it was a Transcontinetal bus line terminal. So Greyhound didnt have a shipping info the following day, and the operator told me to wait a couple days, as it must have not gone out. Transcontinental called me the following morning that it arrived the night before. So just check to see ahead of time which bus line they are using.
    Also, the weight is a max 150 per box. Length max is 108. I had the guy pack it all in three boxes, so I didnt hit the surcharge prices.