Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Judd

Judd

I painted this with spray cans in the 70's in parents garage, lived in apartment at the time.

I started to paint bare quarter panel on my Galaxie the day before yesterday 70 deg. no wind. I mixed paint and as I walked to the car the wind picked up I ended up painting primer in a hurricane wind as I walked back to clean gun the wind started to die down back to calm by the time I had gun clean. I wish I had a garage!

Attached Files:

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Boy Ken, your 41 is looking very nice.

3. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

green-vi.jpg spraybooth-vi.jpg To paint the wheels on my woodie, I constructed this third floor spray booth. I dragged my compressor up to the kitchen and went to work. My neighbors didn't complain, but thought it might not be my best idea.

4. Thanks Joe. This is the fun stage of the build. -Ken

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Some of the bodywork in progress. 20140612_130117.jpeg Next is after dipping at American Metal Cleaning in Portland. 34 before phosphate 2.jpg And where I'm at now, Sealed up with DP90 so I can finish (at home) as time will allow. 20140925_143437.jpeg Mabey I'll start a build thread if there would be interest.

thommoina33 likes this.
  6. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'm sorry, but I don't think there's very much interest in building '34 fords here...

:rolleyes:

7. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I guess I should have said "when I'll have more time for the computer" I'll start a build thread.

;)

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks good, the 34 I mean.
    I have picked a color ( I think ;)) of blue that is an RAL color so that means I can powder coat and paint in a matching color.
    Some of the chassis parts can be done in powder that will match the body paint color.
    So now with a used oven I can powder coat in my garage as well as paint.
    Can't wait to get the RPU to that stage :)

9. Skimmer

Skimmer

10. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Yup, in my garage, not really hardcore, just doing what generations of hot rodders have done in the past.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

But thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Please do, with a little pictorial on how you got it this far, the car is looking good.

13. As most do, I painted my car in pieces (in the avatar) 643.JPG 645.JPG 802.JPG . Matrix 2k, ppg base, Matrix clear. I'm working in an enclosed 1 car carport with a dirt floor. The car takes up all the room. I needed to figure out how I was going to get the rest of the parts painted..hood, doors, fenders, etc.
    It's Texas...windy, dusty, hot. Painting outside unprotected wasn't going to cut it. Did I mention windy and dusty? Plastic for sure wasn't going to cut it. I thought about renting a place, but no spray booths available for rent. I needed something that would hold up to the wind and keep out dirt. One day I was talking to my wife about building something and I mentioned it would be nice if I could build something I could put up and take down like a tent.......I'm old, sometimes it takes a while for the light to go on.
    The tent I bought was a cheapo..less than 150. it was 12 x 22 if I remember. It lasted about 4 months before the Texas wind and sun tore it apart..plenty long enough to get the painting done, then lots of sandblasting afterwards as well. You guys with big barns imposible to clean might find this usefull as well.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like the tent idea :) Good thinking.

15. Low dollar tech -
    Pizza box on top of a trash can. Poke holes for bolts and make little "trees'' from twisted wire for odd shaped stuff.
    There's a rod over my wood stove for curing paint in the winter.
    Results will vary.

rbrewer likes this.
  16. Great idea! I'm not in Texas, but I am in farm country with lots of dust and dirt and pesticides and wind. I was wondering how I would paint outside without getting an 'organic' paintjob. This might just do the trick!

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

PJ3.jpg
    I made this PVC pipe framed enclosure for painting small parts. Used a fan from an Genair stove t.I
    exhaust the fumes out my no longer used wood stove pipe. I used a simple furnace filter taped to the wall of the enclosure.The white stuff is just paper towel I used to catch the finer dust particles.
    PJ5.jpg
    The frame hangs from a screw in bike hook. The upper frame has bottom truss bars that also work well for hanging small pieces. I role up the side walls, remove the vertical supports and move the thing to the dirt floored side of my shop when not in use. It is very light and portable. PJ4.jpg
    This was an experiment to see how well a simple system like this would work. I was painting in the winter months inside the shop. I did only use spray bomb paint for this project. I was able to paint the engine and still do other work in the shop with no fumes noticeable.

I have lungs that have been affected by years of working around solvents and paints. I made the decision early on in my car project to farm out the major paint work to someone with a good paint booth. But I applaud all of you that do the paint at home and take the proper precautions to protect you and your families.

18. little red 50

little red 50

HPIM3053.JPG 54 chevy 001.JPG Here's mine, 54 Chevy 210. Before & After painted in my garage woodland green BC/CC (flattened clear).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    SPORTY9, Ulu and cptn60 like this.
  19. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0047.JPG DSCN7456.JPG 411-vi.jpg Here are a few of mine. Did the orange base in the drive way. But did the clear with the metal flake in the garage.

PONTNAK123, loudbang and cptn60 like this.
  20. Slopok

Slopok

On a gravel driveway no less. Don't need no stinkin spray booth. Looks like it came out just fine.

21. No room in the garage to paint a full car again, so driveway it is......I have to wait until no one is looking, I might try the side yard for small stuff next. Only a few full cars but a lot of parts.
    front-10ab.JPG
    gravel pan-11a.jpg
    grille-3a.JPG

These years ago in the garage when I had a LOT less stuff (not me in the picture, circa 1996ish)

modelA6.jpg
    1959 El Camino0001.jpg

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  22. I said I wasn't ever going to paint in my garage again. But, it's 30 degrees outside and I'm trying to be done before it's 70 degrees outside!:D
    image.jpg

23. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

same thing happens to me when I want to do something with no wind.It's almost like the wind knows when you want to. Glad I'm not alone on this, lol! BTW, Bike looked good

24. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

where there's will,there's a way.....how true!

25. I like this thread. Im actually a graduate of auto body school. way back in 1971. We never had a paint booth. Used dust mask when spraying. Only three kinds of paint Laquer - Enamel - Acrilic enamel. We Blew colored snot after every paint job. Now a days I use tractor paint and super wet look hardener. Question I know a guy who uses the oxygen cyl from his cutting torch to supply the air when painting. Claims the oxygen is pure and don't let water & oil ect get in the line. Just hooks a new air hose to the 2 stage oxygen regulator. I haven't tried it yet? I posted a link to this thread on another forum. They seem to believe unless you spend $10,000 you cant get a quality paint job?

26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

One problem with that, is that it can result in oxygen toxicity, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity , not to mention that it is not "pure oxygen" and new air hose is not non-gassable as required by OSHA for supplied air. I'm not saying he may not get by and it is definitely an improvement over using a dust mask for painting, but it isn't the best idea.

27. I suppose I didn't make it clear. He isn't breathing the oxygen. He is using the oxygen to take the place of a air compressor to spray the paint..

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sorry, I misunderstood....that just makes the spray a bit more explosive, I guess, not to mention the cost of filling the tank.

29. After reading my post I seen where I didnt make it clear what I was talking about.It cost $23 for a big bottle of oxygen its 2500 PSI. more than enough air to paint a car. His take was the purity elemenated things like orange peel ect.

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Using oxygen to replace compressed air is extremely dangerous and actually a stupid practice.
    I would advise anyone not to do so for a good number of reasons.
    Even not using it for breathing air, in a relatively closed space like where most people paint the extra oxygen added to the air you are breathing can lead to problems with oxygen enrichment.
    If you want to know what that does to you just research it a little.
    There are plenty of other reasons.
    Purity of the oxygen is a poor excuse for an unsafe practice.
    Someone who does something like this has questionable judgement and intelligence.

We can paint, let's do it safely.