Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9 inch ford axle removal problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mwhistle, Nov 17, 2014.

1. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

I'm trying to remove the axles on my 9 inch Ford (1969) rear end (small bear housing) so I can do some rear end work (add posi traction unit). I removed the 4 bolts that hold the axle bearing retainer but the axles won't come out. They won't budge. I suppose I'll have to rent an axle puller from Autozone or O'Reilley. Before I spend the rental money, any other suggestions to remove the axles? Maybe slightly heating the axle housing near the bearings to possibly make the axles a littler easier to remove? Any thoughts or experiences or guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you have a heavy log chain you can wrap one end around the axle and take the other end and whip it.

3. butch

butch
    from Michigan

the old school way I have used is to take a 6" or so heavy chain bolt it though one of the studs on axel and use the chain like a whip and it will pop out or did for me

czuch likes this.
  4. An axle puller will make the job much easier.

czuch likes this.

5. butch

butch
    from Michigan

like he said

6. use an axle puller , using one from O'Reilly will cost you nothing

7. oldolds

oldolds

If you have a come-a-long. Park another immovable object next to it and hook it up.

8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$20 will get you a slide hammer from Harbor Freight (presently on sale, down from £30)- I know, opinions will vary!
    Chris

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

I've done a lot of them with a log chain and a lot of them with a slide hammer axle puller. You need that pop to jar it loose. I'm afraid a come along would just pull the vehicle sideways off the stands and isn't going to work well if you have the rear end out in the middle of the shop floor.

10. Without a puller, you can try getting a length of chain, loop the chain through a spare tire/wheel then bolt the chain to the axle. Roll the tire away from the axle... Renting the puller will be easier... Rent one a few times and you've bought it.

Two reasons for sticky axles; either rust where the bearing fits into the housing, or a warped housing. Warped housings are more common than you think, particularly if they've been welded on or if you have a sway bar that mounts to the housing or any suspension bits that attach inboard of the OEM pads. The degree of warp can vary, but a good rule of thumb is if you can push or lightly beat the axle back in, it's fine. Clean the housing before reinstalling, if you have to beat the axle in, bearing life will be short (about 5K).

You don't say what model car the housing is out of, the axle tubes Ford used varied in thickness and some will bend pretty easy. That's why you see Ford housings with reinforcement bracing welded on them, then they're 'straightened' by cutting the ends off and reinstalled with a jig.

Cirilian likes this.
  11. A puller is best. However bolt a rim to the axle and beat on it from the back side. a couple of taps with a BFH and it will come loose. Don't heat it with a torch that will compromise the metal.

12. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Im shocked no one has mentioned putting the brake drum on backwards and putting the lug nuts on a turn or two and using the drum as the slide hammer - it works every time for me....

13. X2

14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used a chain with a big hammer when I didn't have access to any other way to do it. Just bolt the chain to the axle and wrap the chain to next to the hammer head, then start swinging, not perfect but it does work.

15. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I was in the same situation and in a hurry. took a piece of flat iron and drilled two holes to match two studs across from each other . Welded a nut in the middle and put in a piece of all thread. Used a 9" mini spool for the slider.:)

16. I had to pull the axles on my old 66 lincoln and they were stuck. Tried the brake drum idea...not enough mass to jar the axle loose....bolted up the wheel with loose lugnuts like the brake drum method..no go.
    I used a 3/8th log chain and whipped that mo-fo for what seemed like hours! Finally the axle came out and blew past my knee at about 400 MPH. But it worked. The other side came loose with the first whip of the chain. Go figure.

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Jack up and put the wheel back on and finger tighten the lug nuts. Use a large rubber mallet on the inside edge of the rim to crack the axle loose. A few big swings. Another simple solution in lieu of a puller. Less chance of sustaining a chain injury.

18. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it very much. I tried the backwards brake drum trick, but couldn't get enough "umph" to make it work. The chain is too unpredictable and potential dangerous. I went out and rented a puller from O'Reilley's. Hope it will work. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do. Thanks again.

19. alchemy

alchemy

If you are worried about flying axles Rocky-style, just put a really long bolt in one of the holes. Long enough to let the bearing come free of the housing, but short enough to keep the thing from bouncing off the opposite side wall of your garage.

20. 3X, backwards brake drum....been doing it for 45 years, never used a puller....

3340 likes this.
  21. 3340

Get the puller, the chain deal is awfully hard on your hands ☹️the backwards brake drum works ok

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. 1

3 years and 2 months , hope he got it out

czuch likes this.
  23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Just like always. All the help, no follow up or thanks, or "MAH LEG"!!!
    I changed a gal's water pump in the rain once, same thing.

24. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

And dang !!!! I was getting ready to vote for the chain !!

;)

25. That's how I do it ^^^^^, you can also use a slide hammer.

26. You know I came in about 2 days after they tried to get an axle out.
    We tried every damn thing, made all sorts of crap to push them out and after another day I said it's time to send it out. We pulled the housing and put it in the back of the truck.

The axle shop got it apart and found a bunch of broken stuff and a twisted axle. Took their 30 ton press and a hell of a BANG screech POP to get it out. It ran a 10.01 the weekend before but "didn't feel right"

27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The chain and cement block was my high school axle puller . Not too safe ! The axle slide hammer is your answer . Twisted axle really shouldn’t have been much of an isssue with open carrier