Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects manual in 58 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dyermullet, Jan 12, 2010.

1. dyermullet

dyermullet
    from indiana

I have a 58 F100 with an FE engine and a bad C6 automatic. I want to run a manual transmission, preferable an OD trans. All the clutch components are LONG GONE. What are my options to actuate the clutch without spending more $$ than i spent on the truck itself?
    I have two trans options currently in my possession both need rebuilt. A 5.0 mustang T5, and a Tremic 3550(same as TKO) also out of a mustang

Quick Time makes steel bellhousings that accept cable clutch actuation and fork I could then run a complete mustang pedal assembly for the clutch and use a mustang booster/master cylinder to have dual circuit brake system. The quick time bellhousing costs $500

I believe the TKO uses the toploader style bolt pattern so it should bolt to a factory FE bellhousing, but I don't know about the input shaft length. And then I would be back to clutch linkage. I am not sure if the engine is sitting on factory frame mounts, if it is I could buy reproduction clutch linkage parts for the truck and be in business. Lots of IF's in that plan.

Somewhere I read that the 300 I6 has the same engine bolt pattern as the FE engine (I don't know if that is true). If that is true I could get OD trans and hydraulic clutch setup out of a 90s F150. Lots of ifs there also.

How do the aftermarket hydraulic clutch setups with the internal slave throwout bearing work? Who makes them?

2. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I think Speedway sells aftermarket hydraulic clutch components. You might try a junkyard and robbing that stuff from a 5.0. Any photos of the truck?

3. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

The FE does not bolt up to the 300 I6 belhousing. The 300 is the same as the small block V-8's.
    The FE uses it own bolt pattern shared only with the FT truck engines.

4. dyermullet

dyermullet
    from indiana

The 5.0L isn't the same bolt pattern as the FE orelse I could just use all mustang parts.

Thanks, I was just coming back from looking that up and findout I was wrong about that part. So that idea is out.

I just foundout a friend is a dealer for quick time bellhousings and I can get one for ~$390 if I go that route I can all factory mustang parts and keep the rest of the cost down.

5. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

This company makes a hydraulic release bracket that works with a T-5.

I bought one for my '59 F100 that I have a supercharged EFI 5.0 and a 5-speed out of a Mustang ready to go in...

http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/test#3

6. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

A stock Mustang has a cable-operated clutch where if he can find a stock pedal set for a 1957-60 F100 with a manual it will be set up for a hydraulic master cylinder.

7. dyermullet

dyermullet
    from indiana

Wait a second, this truck would have had a hydraulic clutch factory?

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yep you have to hit the slave cylinder with a hammer to get the column out.... ask me how I know!! :D

9. dyermullet

dyermullet
    from indiana

oh, I had no idea all the clutch parts were missing from the truck when I bought it and I was just ASSuming that it had a Z bar

10. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Nope, this truck had a hydraulic clutch from the factory...

11. I have a brake/clutch pedal assy out of a 60' ford pu if interested? 58'-60' should be the same.

12. nd_siouxfan

nd_siouxfan

Do you still have that clutch/brake assy?