Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 styleline questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jddunn73, Nov 7, 2014.

1. jddunn73

jddunn73

Hi all, just joined the forum.
    I recently acquired a 52 styleline and am still trying to learn more about it. Maybe some of you can help me out.
    I looked up the vin and I think it is a styleline deluxe sport coupe. I also looked up the owners manual online and thats when I got confused on a few things.
    There is no pop out ashtray in the large chrome panel on the dash, it is a drawer type that is mounted under the dash near the lighter.

There are no Heater controls in the center of the dash. There is a knob on the front of the heater box by the passengers feet that moves a damper between floor and the defrost ducts. There is a switch below the dash below the headlight switch that has hi-med-low-off for the heater blower. There is no water valve or control to turn the heat off.

There is also no parking brake and it doesnt look like there ever was. Need to look into that more.

I'm assuming none of these cars came with turn signals since they aren't mentioned in the owners model.

So why does all this stuff differ from what I have read in the manual and elsewhere?
    Was mine an economy version? Is it because it's the sport coupe? Is my car a bastard hack job?

Many more questions to follow I'm sure, thanks for reading.
    Jon

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. jddunn73

jddunn73

Few pics

Attached Files:

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Has the car undergone a V-8 swap? If so, the parking brake has to be removed for exhaust clearance, although most guys relocate it; maybe it was just done away with in your car. Hard to tell in the pics, but are the rear, side windows stationary, and held in with a gasket/seal only, or do they "slide" open? Does it have a rear seat? If not, it may be a business coupe. I gave my 51 Bus Coupe to my nephew; the firewall plate, right in front of the passenger side wiper mounting, is 1227B. If yours was/is a Styleline, it's missing some side trim. The gravel guard would be stainless for a Styleline however; ours is rubber. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

jddunn73 likes this.
  4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

the ashtray is an accessory item, probably made by Hollywood. I have a couple just like that. I didn't know you could get an ashtray delete when ordering back then.

jddunn73 likes this.

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Looks like a nice car. The older you go back the more variences in options you will see in what the original owners bought them with. Back in the day some buyers just did not want to pay for any item they did not intend to use. Back in the day may dealers ordered stripped cars and all accesories were dealer installed to the new car buyers wishes.
    You can purchase online reprints of the original shop manual as well as the body shop manual.
    When I bought my 46 Stylemaster Chevy Coupe last year I purchased these 2 manuals on ebay & they have really helped me figurre out how things are supposed to be. I also hooked up with www.chevsofthe40s.com as their catalog has about everything up thru the 62 models.
    If you have not discovered it yet this forum will get you more replies to your questions on your car that the total of all other forums combined.
    My 46 is a Stylemaster Sport Coupe (5 passenger) by the title, Chevrolet changed these models to Styleline in later years but not positive what year this change was made.
    Have fun driving it & don't worry about the petty things & be careful how you pet the sweaty stuff.

Jimmie

jddunn73 likes this.
  6. jddunn73

jddunn73

It has had a v8 swap so that explains the parking brake.

How would the rear windows open if they did?

What about my heater? Was that an economy option or aftermarket?

Someone removed almost all the trim.

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Your car appears to be a styleline custom model. No stainless trim around the windshield or the rear glass and lack of side trim.
    The gravel shield could have been installed where the plain rubber ones were original.
    The quarter windows are fixed which is also found on custom model only. If they opened there would be a small knob at the base
    which would be pulled back towards the rear and the glass would slide open about 4 inches.
    Hope this helps some.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

jddunn73 likes this.
  8. jddunn73

jddunn73

i.rant

From what I can tell from the vin and body tag I have a 52 styleline deluxe sport coupe built in October in st. Louis with spring green paint and a light grey interior.
    Am I wrong or did I miss anything?

VIN
    3KJK-xxxxx

Body tag
    52-1227
    S 1015

Am I missing any numbers anywhere?

9. jddunn73

jddunn73

I checked my back windows, tjey definitely dont open.

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Body # 52-1227 is Fisher body # denotes special series, styleline coupe. I wrote custom by mistake.check out :
    chevyoldcarmanualpproject.com
    BTW your steering wheel without the horn ring is definitely not deluxe, again could have been changed over the years.

11. jddunn73

jddunn73

That site is where I got the info I have

12. jddunn73

jddunn73

Still waiting on someone to chime in on the heater and blower control

13. R Pope

R Pope

Heaters were optional until at least 1962. The one you have is aftermarket.

jddunn73 likes this.
  14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Went to gearhead geek.com this is what I found.:

3 K. J. K Xxxxxx

3. St.Louis plant

K. 1952

J Special

K. November
    Good stuff there also

15. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

I have a 1953 210 club coupe with the same heater. I also have all of the original paperwork from the dealer when the car was purchased new. My car did not come with a radio or heater and the heater was a dealer installed option that was cheaper than the factory installed heater.The cost was $45.05. The heater also has a Chevrolet decal on it.

jddunn73 likes this.
  16. jddunn73

jddunn73

Any idea why I cant post in the marketplace under wanted? Looking for driver quality hood and trunk emblems

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I can't see the actual heater in your pics, only the control switch, and that tells me you have the basic recirculating heater. Is there a lever on the heater itself to change direction of the heated air flow? That would change it from heat to defrost; if so it's a recirculating heater. Try that auction site we all know and love; there's always a lot of trim pieces for sale/auction; 51-52 are basically the same except for the center grille bar, stock engine mounting towers (started in 52), and a few other smaller details. Does the car have a rear seat? With the exception of the stainless gravel guards, it looks like a baseline model, but those could have been swapped out. Is there evidence of side body trim holes being filled in? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. jddunn73

jddunn73

No evidence of trim being removed other than badges. Holes are still there for badges.
    Yes there is a lever on the heater.
    Yes it has a back seat.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

your car is a Styleline Special Sport coupe, not deluxe. the lack of trim, the non opening rear side windows, the steering wheel all confirm this. also if it were a deluxe your inside garnish moldings would have stainless trim at the bottom. your chrome gravel shields were most likely rubber originally, the rubber ones deteriorate, and are just about impossible to find.
    I have never seen a speaker grille center without the ashtray, guess I need to pay more attention, the underdash ash tray is either aftermarket or a dealer installed option from GM..

ALL heaters were dealer installed options or aftermarket in these years. sounds like you have the standard heater, or maybe aftermarket. the GM heater will be made by "Harrison" and it will be round with a round heater core. to turn the hot water off in your standard heater you put a cut off valve in the heater hose. you can find one that hooks to a cable to open and close it from inside the car, or you can just shut it off in the summer and open it back up in the winter from the switch itself.

the deluxe heater with the controls in the dash has a heater core in the engine compartment next to the battery in the vent tube, and only the fan and ductwork inside the car.

turn signals were a dealer installed option in 1952.

jddunn73 likes this.