Register now to get rid of these ads!

new guys/and intro's

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by choprods, Dec 28, 2003.

1. This is the questions and suggestions section-right? Well- I have a question and then a suggestion.........the question is-whats wrong with expecting a decent/semi intelligent/polite intro from complete strangers to the HAMB? The suggestion:-what would be wrong with giving any of the members of the Hamb,who cared to view this intro,the ability to stop any readily apparent losers from wasting bandwidth and [their] time from the time they post the first time ,till they get bored and leave or dont pay their monthly internet providers fee and are gone......the suggestion?-Have their first post include a [[[[[[POLL]]]]]-[automatically placed there] with the simple rule that if voted on by MEMBERS positively -you stay or if negatively- youre gone!......kinda like the gong show of intro procedures......[glad that wasnt in place when I came here.... [​IMG]-Is that insane or even worth considering? [​IMG]

2. I for one think the introduction is a good idea...like you meeting someone at work,,,,hi,my name is----I'm into traditional hot rods and customs,,,,etc. etc.

Whats so hard,,,,we are into cars,,,,not hair styles,or rockabilly life style,,,if we continue in this line the next big step will be AARP,,,,and a lotta HAMBers are amoung that group.......But the recent screw you attitude of the fist time posters sucks [​IMG].......don't know about a voting system but i do know if they are idiots,,,,don't throw out the welcome mat.......silence is golden,,,,HRP

3. franzfrucket1

franzfrucket1

I like the idea to...sorta. I know when I did my intro people were really nice and welcoming. Its because mostly Im not a cock but otherwise I made it clear that I want to learn but then agian Im sure alot of guys in here thought(or think)that Im a scenester, even though Im not. So your idea has its pros and cons, but in general is a good idea!

Owen

4. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

ya sounds like a good idea too bad my own intro sucked so much

5. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

heres my 2 cents. my intro sucked. but o well i suck at getting words out right. so do alote of people. to tell you the truth im kinda sick of the all high and mighty guys ive been running into latley. just cause im younger and dont know every thing about rods/customs or the 50's doesnt mean im a tool. just means im here to learn. and one day be able to help some younger guy out thats just starting out.ive kinda allways thought that out of all diff types of "carguys" there are that the hot rodders were the most welcoming and shit. but latley ive been dead wrong. but hell there are some that want to teach and want to help you. so i think if any one should be allowed to vote it should be the guys that are helping not the guys that talk shit every time some one gets there words out wrong. but yea sorry for waisting bandwith and shit on my outburst. and the whole cant spell a damn thing. thanks.....

6. JSM56

JSM56

my friends and i are the new guys that this post is refering to, so i feel i should get to give our side. many of you think that because we are new to this internetsite, that we are new to building cars or maybe we don't even have cars. but the truth is, we were into cars before we were legal to drive them. we may be young, but we are just trying to learn more, build more, and use the classifieds to find and sell parts. everyone keeps saying that we don't contribute. we are in our early twenties, and realize that most people here have far more experience than we do, so we are here to have them contribute to our learning process. if i can contribute to answering the questions that others have, i will. but if we were all here just to contribute and not take anything from the site, who would we be contributing to? oh yeah, and i will have pics tommorrow of my car just so you all know it really exist

7. sorry, i had to post my .02 as well.
    i am sorry i didn't take the intro more seriously. i don't think that an intro is to much to ask for. i guess i just assumed that everyone on this site was on the level, but i now understand what everyone is talking about.

now, about the contributing;
    not my friends, nor do i live on this website. as far as the last week or so has gone, i don't want to reply to something that has already been replied to 10 times.

i think the voting thing has plus's and minus's.

the more i type, the more i feel i should just walk away from this computer, go back into the shop, and forget this ever happened. i think thats what ill do. fuck it.

8. i dont think he is talking to anyone but all the new guys . ive been here for only 2 monthes and i just gets better every day .and i get y they want a good intro it s to get a feel for u .its like meeting a new person on the block .tell them a few things about yourself so they can get a feel for u are,its not cause the wanna harass u but just to see what kinda stuff u are into and what kinda person u are .dont worrie about the shit they talk cause itll go away after a week or so .they forget about u. they just wanna see if u ll tough it out .and i think every one is here to learn or they wouldent be here.this is the best site ive ever been and i wont stp comming here just cause they think there better than me ,cause they were us like us at one point .and they dont only talk shit to young guys the dont care about age.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

INTRO #1: "Hey everyone, my name is josh, and i daily-drive a 56 ford with no windows and no heater, much of the rear floors are cut out, but hey at least it drags ass. i noticed that you guys are pretty hard on new people and thier intros, so i will be expecting some shit talking. anyways, i am just a twenty two year old single guy living in cali and i love to work on cars. i care more about how low i can make my car than how shiney the paint is, and to me no car is too nice to get cut up. someday i will post pics, but i need a digital cam first."

INTRO #2: "Oh shit look who it is! some cocky son of a bitch.
    well any way enough of that. So to jsm56 my car is lower than yours, you know the drainage ditches on the side of the roads. CALTrans hired me to make them. Its all about draggin shackle mounts, BEEOTCH!!!! now thats low. and to wicked death chop, i got your back, even though you think that you some bad ass. boy you know your ass hard as a fresh loaf of bread! "

INTRO #3: "yep, im a new guy"

I'm going to assume these three intro-ees are approx the same age since I think I've figured out they're "friends". HUGE difference between intro #1 and the other 2. "Josh's intro was decent, told us alittle about himslef and his ride. No real cocky attitude. The other two sucked and I wouldn't give those two the time of day. They are both lacking respect. Respect for not only those they want to learn from, but for a hot rod message board that most of use take pretty seriously. Those last two certainly wouldn't walk into a strangers "garage" with those "intro's" and expect to be handed a beer. More then likely, they'd end up thrown out on their butts for talking to their "elders" like that.

You wanna be respected around here and treated like an equal, then act like one and not like a "scenester".

Owen, your intro wasn't bad. In fact, it was down right informative.

"Well my name is Owen and I'd just like to say that's its really cool to belong to a board like this. You guys really know your stuff and I look forward to learning a lot form all of you. Well I'm a high school student in delafield Wisconsin and I'm in my junior year. For a while now I have been avidly trying to get a hot rod project for myself but as always as I'm sure for many of you money is an issue. A friend of mine is a really great guy with cars and really knows his shit. I have been hanging around with him at his shop and I have been learning a lot. I don't have a lot of experience with hot rods, and as far as engines go I have only done work on big ones off of old fire engines my dad has. But I'm very willing to learn from you guys and one day I hope to have a kick ass hot rod of my own."

Welcome Josh and Owen. Keep your eyes and ears open and you just might learn a thing or two around this place. [​IMG]

10. bigron

bigron

SCENESTER.......i like that. that title does seem to apply to quit a few.

11. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

if it was done by members...how do you become a member?...or a drama queen,turd burglar,newbie,stranger,whatever....what does all of that stuff mean?

12. JSM56

JSM56

i would be interested in hearing all your definitions of a "scenester". to me this makes me think of the guy who dresses like a greaser, even though last month he dressed in whatever was trendy last month. he drives a 65 falcon with nothing done to it, but thinks because it is old, it must be a hot rod. and within a year he will be gone... doing whatever he thinks is the cool thing then.

thats just what i think of when i hear that word, what do you all define a scenester as?

p.s. i know my car isn't a hot rod, but it is a custom. low slow and nasty.

13. JSM56

JSM56

oh yeah, and jeff (wicked death chop) and i are actually serious about the site, but bagged and dragged probally won't be around too much.

14. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont think he is talking to anyone but all the new guys . ive been here for only 2 monthes and i just gets better every day .and i get y they want a good intro it s to get a feel for u .its like meeting a new person on the block .tell them a few things about yourself so they can get a feel for u are,its not cause the wanna harass u but just to see what kinda stuff u are into and what kinda person u are .dont worrie about the shit they talk cause itll go away after a week or so .they forget about u. they just wanna see if u ll tough it out .and i think every one is here to learn or they wouldent be here.this is the best site ive ever been and i wont stp comming here just cause they think there better than me ,cause they were us like us at one point .and they dont only talk shit to young guys the dont care about age.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible. Your post is wretched. You need to respect everyone here enough to at least post something that is readable. Capitalization and punctuation would be a good start. Also, take the time to spell out the word "you" rather than "u". This stuff speaks a lot about you and your character. If you don't care enough to at least represent yourself decently, at least do it out of respect to other HAMBers that you expect to try and read it.

I'm no grammar Nazi or English professor. Everyone posts a mistake occasionally, but yours shows a complete lack of effort. I hope you take more time and effort on your car.

15. I would like to add this- then I will not reply to this post until it is complete and a "decision" is made yea or nay.......I AM A HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT-[TRUE] I can't always spell any word or hardly ever punctuate them properly....to the guy above who has this trouble too -thats the last thing I intended to highlight in this post SO FORGET THAT! The gist of this post- in my mind was to EXPECT and recieve -[[[[[SERIOUS]]]]]]] intro posts/nothing more nothing less......I honestly feel that if you can't take something as simple as asking to be accepted by "strangers" [as we members are] to new folks-Then I'm sorry -thats just the lowest treatment I/WE could expect to recieve from total strangers wh are in fact asking to become friends/compadres with the members of this "internet Garage". I am willing to bet that I [a 30 plus year veteran of this hobby ]and almost everyone who is established here are more than sure that a first time builder or even a non builder can TEACH US SOMETHING TOO.that is also not the principle of this post- its just simple manners or the grossly exagerated LACK of the same that has me totally pissed when I see a post like some I have seen claiming to be intros here.Ok-........ now I want input [and criticism] is allowed too! [​IMG]

16. Design Guy

Design Guy

Man, there are so many different sides to this subject, I'm not exactly sure where I stand, to be honest. When I first came around, I made a post and someone told me I should make an intro. I'm not sure if anyone cared because I was so lost for a direction (in relation to car building) that I was insignificant.

When I finally decided on my direction (still a complete newb with only 4 posts) 3 months later, I made a 2nd intro just to reintroduce myself.

Now it's been just a few short weeks and I feel I've given some decent information, and hopefully didn't piss anyone off too much, but I can pretty much guarantee that a large majority of the regular HAMBers don't have the slightest idea who I am because they didn't both with my intro, or it went away so quickly, they didn't get a chance to view it. Posts add up real damn fast around here.

On the other hand, the people that did respond to my post were all very hospitable and I think I only got one sideways comment, but I know it was only in jest.

I can't contribute when I comes to knowledge about cars, but some of you know what I do and who I work for, and my insight to that side of things at least means enough to be able to support or deny some of the wacky "anti-mag" posts. Eventually, i will have knowledge to contribute about cars and I will gladly pass it on.

Finally, as I'm writing this, I think I've come across the real issue. I don't really think that it's about who introduces themselves or how they do it. I don't think it's about contribution. Personally, I think this issue is about RESPECT. The long-standing HAMBers believe that they deserve a little respect from the new guys, and rightfully so. The new guys want to be respected from the start because just because they haven't been here before doesn't mean they haven't been around, and they definitely don't want people looking down their noses at them. Just because you've been banging metal for years on end, it doesn't mean you have the right to belittle anyone else.

Just treat each other like humans are supposed to, and we won't have any problems, right?

17. Soooo,you think everbody is out to get you? [​IMG]

Denise,HRLC,,,can be your best friend,,if you will listen. [​IMG]

Look down on you because the guys/gals here don't think you own a rod or custom,,,,,it doesn't matter whether you do or not!,,,,,,,that is not what is importent what does matter is a good attitude! [​IMG]

Spelling doesn't count against ya,,,,,,i'm not good at it! [​IMG]

And what have you got against stock 65 falcons?
    [​IMG] My daughter happens to own one! HRP

Attached Files:

18. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

LOL

nice Xmas tree!!!

Sorry, couldnt resist!

19. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

actaully, i caught a LITTLE flack for posting a bit TOO much info in my intro.. but its funny, I only had like 1/4 the respones these guys had to their intros..

so what does that say??

I didnt piss off the right people,. or the right people werent lookin when I posted my intro??

it al ldepends on mood, upbringin(do unto others as they do unto you), level of intoxication, last time you got laid.. etc..

things that piss you off right NOW may not amount to a flys' fart next Tuesday..

just my thought..

BTW, I am learnign a shitload, but because my knowledge is VERY limited, I dont post much, so blocking/banning peoples on account of their "contribution" doesnt sound like a good idea to me, right now anyways!!! [​IMG]

dammit , i need a breathalyzer on my computer this late at night!

20. JSM56

JSM56

i think the intro topic is dead and we should all just get over it. but i still would like to hear some definitions of a scenester, just for shits and giggles. and by the way, i have nothing against 65 falcons as a car, a guy just came to mind that i met that drives one that is bone stock, and i heard him tellin some chick that he drives a "hot rod".

21. Websters describes a SCENE as..A view,the place where an action or event occurs,a location,a dramatic presentation,a public display of temper,or a sphere of activity.

It also discribes STER as one that is associated with,creates,or does,or one that is.

SCENESTER...One that presents or is associated with a dramatic disply of public temper. [​IMG]

My take on the subject........just calm down and use a little good judgement in the choice of wording or answering post,,,,,,,the big
    "F"word doesn't have to be used that much....I'm not impressed and i'd bet i'm not the only one! [​IMG]

Try to remember there are a lot of young guys and gals on the board......Just my 2 cents worth [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER

22. seldom scene

seldom scene

We are not a club or fraternity> I don't think we have the right to "blackball" people who want to participate. I definately believe we have the right to demand a little respect, however. I think we would like to know a little about who we are "talking" with. It's not about age it's about the ability to communicate in a mature and respectful manner. When I see someone listing their location as "Under your girlfriends bed peek a boo" I immediately dismiss the poser I mean poster as an immature fool not worthy of our time. Some just go away, some stick around and learn and grow. This is a free country I don't see the need to exclude people, by the same token I have no problem with letting someone know where the bear sat in the buckwheat.

23. JSM56

JSM56

as i said before, wicked death chop and i are actually serious about having a positive experience on this site and being able to see what others are doing and get some ideas as well as put some ideas out there for others. baggedndragged however will probally not be around much because he has A.D.D. and doesn't always know how to act, and he really doesn't have the patience to sit at a computer long enough to be productive.

24. I think a intro post as a first post is a good idea, I always do it whenever I join a site. Its like having the new neighbour introduce themselves, its just polite thing to do.

25. 56 - good to see another great mind like myself (and that's not an insult regardless of what you may have heard)and 56 Ford owner. Mine is a fairlane fordor town sedan.
    Screw the voting. If Ryan doesn't think somebody belongs here, I think he can remove them. One chief, ok?

26. moparrodder

moparrodder

I think the intro thing is right on for your first post here and is total respect for all the Hambers that have been here before I came here. It's like when you go to someones house or shop, ya just don't barge right in and make yourself at home, raid the cooler and talk trash to the owners, man thats disrespect, if you treat somebody like crap that's the way you'll be treated. I know I don't post a lot but when I can I will. I'm on the road a lot in the truck and it's usually late when I get home and a lot of the posts have been answered with most of the suggestions that I know so adding more of the same would be useless for me, but once in a while I get lucky and get to add my thoughts and that sure makes me feel like part of the best group of rodders on the net. Just my 2 cents worth. Bill

27. 50Bomber

50Bomber

I just signed up eventhough I have been looking for a long time. When I signed up I filled out the info about myself, but where should the intro be made? I totally agree with you about that. I have never been in a club where the members did not have to vote the new guy in. Let me know where and an intro will be made. Ben

28. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Hey Ben just make a post on the main board about your self and your cars.Call the subject intro or something like that. welcome to the site.

29. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Since I am a "NEW GUY" here on the board I think it's important to a least say Hi to everyone. My name is "Spoons" and I live in Ohio. Been into traditional style cars for a few years. Currently own a 1930 "A" on Deuce rails, 63 Dodge Dart w/ a 170 Banger and 3 on the tree, and my newest project is a 27 roadster, Y-block, 3spd. [​IMG]
    Hopefully [​IMG] I can find some new friends here and maybe a few parts along the way.........

Attached Files:

30. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Welcome, Post this on the main board so you don't catch flack from everyone.