Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nostalgia engine colors in gassers, hot rods or customs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bfalfa55, Nov 2, 2014.

1. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I always wondered if there were any different colors guys painted their engines back in the good old days. I know there are all the stock colors, I am pretty much a fan of painting any small block chevy it's proper Orange color. If you know of some different or creative engine colors, tell the story and show some pics if you have them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Anything that was handy on the shelf in the garage LOL.

3. A dude up the road from me had his yellow engine hanging form a chainfall on a branch. At least a few times a month, to my youthful eyes it looked great! Bet his neighbors thought so, too.
    The yellow really popped.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The engine in my Chevy II was painted yellow when I got it back in the late 70s. The engine had some of those 13.5 Jahns pistons so not sure when it was put together.

5. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Well I picked up another 265 today and it is painted white ! It's a bit different, not sure what I will do with it.

6. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I like this because it sounds all too true !

7. alot of guys painted the motor the same color as the car

8. 327Eric

327Eric

I knew a guy running an Austin Healy gasser, one of my mentors in my teens. The engine was brush painted in pink latex, to match the Pink car.(not latex) because He said it would stick better than "that crap in a spray can" I found out with an engine I got from him, it did!

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

Pretty much the truth. But I think today the engine would have to be color coordinated with the body and the interior and the color of your eyes to be acceptable.

10. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I bought a new crate engine and left it black because I didn't want it to retain heat. 1414976322263.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Here are some pics of the 56 265 I bought today. Needs a little clean up but what do you think of white ? I like it and then I don't. I don't know it is different for sure.

Attached Files:

12. slammed

slammed

What would the engine component's be? Polished intake/valve covers/chrome alt-Gen/ect will also factor your overall look. It should look period perfect for success. Keep the colors simple and few, so the engine/intake is the center of attention.

13. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

I always do mine different, this was a cocktail candy orange I mixed up.

Attached Files:

14. Slopok

Slopok

I went with yellow mainly to match the flames. 212.JPG

DallasVW171 likes this.
  15. Body color or Rustoleum Chinese RED seems to have been the basic rule of thumb IIRC from my humble beginnings in the 60s