Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical C10 owners - lowering question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Dan

Dan

I have a '60 chevy swb I want to lower, it has the coil springs in the rear. I know that new lowered springs aren't that much but we can't spend any on this project right now. Have any of you lowered the rear by cutting coils? If so how did you secure the bottom of the spring since the tapered portion that went in the spring retainer was cut off?? Thanks-

2. slammed

slammed

You answered your own question. Cutting the rear for me made it too stiff. Save up, do it right.

3. I have used blocks between the axle and trailing arms that I built. Only cost in that is longer u-bolts. Or, I have put worn out 68-72 GM a-body rear springs in the back to lower them some as long as I didn't want to haul much.

4. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Don't cut the coils. As Guthriesmith said above, a set of lowering blocks will get the job done, and won't negatively affect the ride and handling characteristics of the truck like cutting the springs would. You can fab your own blocks using heavy wall square or rectangular tubing depending on how much you want to lower it, and all you really need to spring for is a set of new U-bolts. I've always got the U-bolts made up by a local truck spring shop for about 7 bucks a piece.

5. I haven't done it, but I read on here awhile back that stock jeep TJ (1996-2006) coils lower the rear 2". If you look on craigslist you could probably find some for cheap from someone who lifted theirs.

6. I had a 72 [same basic chassis] with the heavy duty suspension package. I believe it used 3/4 ton coils. I began by cutting those coils and it rode like shit. Then I used a pair of gran prix/ chevelle rear coils.....too soft.
    I ended up using a pair of standard 1/2 coils and cut them at the bottom, sat the coils on the trailing arms and made small brackets to attach the coils to the tops of the arms. It was a little stiff but after C-ing the rear frame rails, it was ok. Did the same with my 68 shortbox and my 61 shortbox and my 64 shortbox but left my 66 shortbox stock! Rockys72chevypickup.jpg Rockys72chevypickup.jpg rockys68chevypu.jpg Rockys61chevypu.jpg 66pu.jpg ................

7. I have used the jeep tj coils. They were twenty bucks from an off-road shop. Brand new take-offs from a lift job they did. Greatly reduced cargo capacity (about 600lbs max now). Worked good though. Lowered rear nearly 5 inches. Bolt right in.