Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical After market steering column brands.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Oct 27, 2014.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I have read some reviews, especially the review from the NZ agency. I work for a state agency so I know how those reviews often go.

I am curious if any of you have experience with the lesser price brands of columns such as Summits brand, CPP, etc.

I know Hoffman/Helix stuff is bad news. And of course I know that Ididit and Flaming River are top notch.

2. metal man

metal man

I usually make my own or use an OEM column, but the only new aftermarket column I have used recently was from Limeworks. They are pricey,but the quality is good and you can contact him right here on the HAMB. They build them to order and it only takes a couple of days.
    I wish I had more input for you on the less expensive brands,but you usually get what you pay for.

3. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

It is one of those things that I don't need something that has all the bells and whistles. It will be painted no chrome, no key, no shift, just turn signals and tilt...... Just hard to justify $500.00 plus on that.

4. I go to a you-pick yard and a column is typically $25-$50 depending on yard's prices and whether or not it's a tilt. I have a truck with 250K on it and the column works fine; never heard of one wearing out. I can't imagine spending $500 on a new aftermarket anything for something like that either.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

No experience with lesser brands however I run the OEM column in my 46 Olds with OEM Hydramatic shifter. Cut it of at engine bay and machined lower end for 3/4"DD and added new upper and lower bearings. Not collapsible though. OEM dash ignition. Even using NOS Allstate turn signals for period authenticity.

In my 35 Chevy I used a local GM column (Collapsible & from wreckers). Again machined lower end for 3/4" DD and added new upper and lower bearings. I adapted another local GM indicator / headlamp stalk, ignition on column side. Floor plates welded to both columns.

I didn't see the need to spend $$ on other columns as these are cheaper alternatives and meet stricter Ozzie engineering standards. Both are painted to match car. No frills, no column shift or tilt. Horses for courses so they say.

6. aaggie

aaggie

Older Van columns work OK and are easy to shorten if needed. I have used Flaming River units in my last three builds and they worked great but were a little pricey. On my '40 Chevy I went with Dakota Digital instruments so I didn't want the shift quadrant on the column. I called their tech line and they fixed me up with the correct length with tilt and deleted the shift indicator. They charged me an extra $100 to leave parts out, go figure.

7. aaggie

aaggie

Older Van columns work OK and are easy to shorten if needed. I have used Flaming River units in my last three builds and they worked great but were a little pricey. On my '40 Chevy I went with Dakota Digital instruments so I didn't want the shift quadrant on the column. I called their tech line and they fixed me up with the correct length with tilt and deleted the shift indicator. They charged me an extra $100 to leave parts out, go figure.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used Ididit and flaming river and they are good quality but usually use a stocker and modify as mentioned above. On 40's I use the stock column cut off with a new bushing and DD on the bottom-looks right and works well.Use a 55-57 chevy steering shaft as it is solid and a 55-57 top bearing with the horn pickup too

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was forced to use a tilt column on a fat guy's '32 panel. Right/wrong, he insisted. Looked as good as it could, but he also had a '30 roadster some guy planted one in...looked like vomit.
    If I had to use one in a fat fender, it'd be a Limeworks.
    I still recall repairing the worn bushings in GM tilts, (in customers' "other cars"...)

10. I've used several 1950's Ford truck columns over the years,they are simple and traditional. HRP