Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Customer's Custom Double Dropped Axle, will it work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Oct 21, 2014.

1. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I kinda like that one, it seems to server a purpose and it helps clear the grill shell.

2. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I'm just here to get some feedback for my buddy. I'm not sure he wants to hear most of it but I'll send him a link so he can find out himself.
    The design was his own creation and he wanted to see what it would look like modeled up on the computer. After I hear from him, I'll post his responses.

3. Andy

Andy

Aluminum is three times as flexable as steel. The axle would have to be three times the bulk to be as stiff. It would look like a log.

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

If you measure the distance between the top of the axle and the center of the spring on most spring over applications it will be between 3" and 4". if that axle is used in a spring over the bump in the center will probably be to close to the spring for it have any real suspension movement.

For the record I don't like the looks of it either but its not my build. If we all liked and built the same things we would all be driving purple Gremlins.

5. dan31

dan31

For sale -purple gremlin project car,just needs axle to finish.

6. JimSibley

JimSibley

I like different!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Well, I received my buddy's responses and he is with you all. A different idea but will go traditional. Too bad as I always would like to see something different to draw my interest.
    By the way, the stress test on the cad file passed and there were no problems with strength, twist, deflection or breakage. It stood up to 5,500 lbs of force!

8. Something profiled similar to the dodge double dipped wavey axle

9. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Nice rendering man, but what you get at the end it's a straight axel. If the purpose is to look different, it's possibly better to do it elsewhere, not on a key component that could get your friend and someone else killed when/if it snaps. Is the purpose just looks? If it is, look at at the dropped axel IFS that I believe fat man did a while back. Also i would put your friends axel design on a simulator as it does seem to have additional stress points. At least he is thinking outside the box.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks Catfishdog.Will do!