Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Kodachrome Goldmine: Bonneville in the 50s (Part I)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, and the guy in the red shirt appears to be holding a movie camera!? Would love to see the film. Pretty sure that 34 later became the Jado Special.
    What a treasure of photos. The color, cars, backgrounds make you want to be there! Thanks for sharing.

2. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

3. autobilly

autobilly

According to Pat Ganahl this photo was taken at Bonneville in '55 and was the only time it went there.

4. Yep. Land speed record pursuer in several locales evidently. I never knew anything but the quarter mile stuff prior. Amazing stuff, indeed.

5. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

So AMAZING!! WOW

6. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

Seems like I recall a story regarding the grille cover on the Yeakel Roadster. There was a reason it is upside-down, I can't remember the whole story!

I do think that Von Dutch was involved.

7. Like you Jeff, not sure about the black paint on the reveal being intentional, but I suer do like the look. Plus the 3 winder is bad ass cool.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  8. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I agree wholeheartedly! This may be the baddest Model A roadster I've ever seen!!!

9. Good God, those pictures are amazing! Anyone notice the cut down grille in the '53 Vette?

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wonderful color images. I can't wait for part 2, or 6, or 9, or 15! Gary

11. Von Dutch did paint it. Story goes that when they dropped off the insert, the top wasn't identified. Dutch thought the air intake hole was lower on the insert and striped accordingly. When the insert was picked up, the mistake was realized.

12. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't the 'legend' that he said it was intentional? I heard that from a geezer at the U.S. Nationals a couple decades ago.

14. I wouldn't know either way on that. The feature on the car that I have in an old Hot Rod lists that it was accidental.

15. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

not only are they cool, they are super well done and high quality. THANKS!

16. Davem32

Davem32

The Thrifty Supply 3 winder was bought by a friend of mine in 1967 his son has the car now and also has pitures of it on the salt in the 50 s as well as on the drag strip. The frame being black to the reveal is because it is a full fendered car except the fenders were removed when it went to Bonneville to race. I will see if I can get him to post the pics!!