Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for employment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NRErickson_84, Oct 9, 2014.

1. NRErickson_84

NRErickson_84

Hello. I am looking for a job as a fabricator/body man in Southern California. I am not interested in collision work but desire to work and learn at a hot rod shop. I will be graduating from Wyotech in December and will be available to work in January. I have experience in patch panels, filler work, one off panels, English wheel, chop tops, shrinker/stretcher, pullmax, and MIG/TIG welding. Thank you for looking and any help or advice you can provide. I have a resume ready with references. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412900713.605341.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412900763.931013.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412900878.005304.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412900923.719542.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

now THIS is a way to get a job...good luck kid

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

X2
    Nice work and cool lookin ford.

4. NRErickson_84

NRErickson_84

Thank you. My entire build thread is on here. 49 custom sedan build. She is my resume other than the paper one.

5. BarryA

BarryA

I'm hiring from January - want to move to South Africa? ;)
    Seriously though, I hope you find somewhere that allows you to put your already impressive talent to good use, while continuing to grow your skills. Good luck!

6. NRErickson_84

NRErickson_84

Thanks for the encouragement Barry.

BarryA likes this.
  7. NRErickson_84

NRErickson_84

I will be in California the first week in January. I am looking for a career not just a job and I'm a very dedicated worker and family man. No drama, I'm too old for that. If you need a face to face interview I can arrange flying in before. Thank you.

8. elgringo71

elgringo71

I will bump this for more eyes to see

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I wouldn't play on the wyotech schooling too much ... Lot of shops been burnt by wyotech grads who thought they could do anything,and sucked at everything....

Some won't even talk to you after they hear the words wyotech ..

bring lots of pictures of what you have done , and your welding helmet... And good luck..

.you might want to search other areas also... If you factor in cost of living... Most shops have you in borderline poverty ... the industry here isn't what it used to be... The shift seems to be to the rest of the country.,. Just my experiance/opinion

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    WiredSpider and racinman like this.
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sadly, it's true in a few cases. My engine guy hired a kid from Wyotech and the kid could quote stuff from his text book, but couldn't tell the difference between a 9/16" wrench and a damn hammer!

From my experience, fields that require welding and fab work, will be more interested in what you can do or have done. I got my welding job by passing a weld test. I paid $100 for a sweet looking resume and I've NEVER even gotten to show it. Take some GREAT pics (even if you have to hire someone) of your work, speak with confidence and in a professional manner, let the employer know you're not a "flash in the pan" and you WILL get hired.

WiredSpider likes this.
  11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I am sure you are going to find employment with the quality of work you do.

Best of luck. Jimbo

NRErickson_84 and Markmonty like this.
  12. stimpy

stimpy

I agree on the school but you have proof of what you did , not like the kid I hired that couldn't change oil in a semi .

too bad you cannot send a feeler to the old continent ( Europe and England ) as there are still many shops that form metal by hand when they rebuild or modify cars and do it with the old ways .

13. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

Also, many times your school can set you up with some points of contact or companies searching for graduates. Just a thought to find work pretty quick. I wouldn't hold out for the perfect job/career right out of school. You need to have years of hands on or be amazing at what you do for a reputable shop to hire you and pay/treat you well right off the bat. (most generally speaking)

14. 62cadd

62cadd

15. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

we are looking to hire and have current advertising with Linkedin.We are located in Denver ,Colorado.
    If your interested please send a resume with pictures to [email protected]

thanks Jon

16. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I am a Wyotech grad, also. I was a mechanic for a time, then became an Instructor at UTI. Now I'm a Service Manager at my old shop. In my experience, managers who won't hire you because you went to a certain school usually have poor interviewing skills and blame the education on their own bad judgement. Bring examples of what you can do. Does Wyotech still make you hand-form and candy paint a mailbox? Bring it to the interview.

17. NRErickson_84

NRErickson_84

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. Big take always for me is that I just have very basic knowledge and no real world experience other than my own shoebox. Being humble goes along way in this world and I am willing. I've been told the best thing I have going for me is that I'll show up to work and be on time. My wife is going to school in california so that is the reason for the location choice. We build a scale model a door now instead of the mailbox. Thanks again for the comments.

18. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

If possible drive your car to
    The interview to display your skills After you get some experience start your own rod shop but learn all aspects of the business at a good shop if possible Good luck and enjoy SoCal it's a great place

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    NRErickson_84 likes this.
  19. deto

deto

Where in socal?

21. 55willys

55willys

I got the job I have working at Fosses Hot Rods and Cool Cars by going to The Mild to Wild car show that used to be held in the Tacoma Dome and going to the shops that had displays there and telling them what I could do. Just did a mini interview with each one that would listen.

About 6 months later on of the shops called me because they needed a car wired. By that time I had quit my truck driving job and was working in a motorcycle shop but not making a living at it so I ended up working 3 days at the rod shop and 3 days at the bike shop until I had finished the custom bikes I had started, by that time the boss could see that I could do way more than wiring and hired me full time about 9 years ago. So do what you are doing, think outside the box, and put yourself out there. Someone will notice. Jim Ford

22. NRErickson_84

NRErickson_84

I'm looking for the orange county area. Thank you for the advice.

23. NRErickson_84

NRErickson_84

Hello all. I just wanted to let you know that I was hired on at a shop and been with them for a month now. Stoked just to be working let alone restoring and customizing classic cars. I'm getting 8 hours of therapy a day. I am blessed. Thank you all for your support and advice. This group got me my new career.

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Anymore pics of that shoebox? Looks good!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Nice story. Thanks for getting back to us with the good news and best wishes going forward.

26. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Glad to hear relocation and employment worked out. Don't often get the outcome of what happened. Take care.

27. Congrats and continued Good Luck!! Jim