Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical San Antonio / Boerne Tool Request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RamJet1, Oct 10, 2014.

1. RamJet1

RamJet1

I'm trying to get my OT cars fixed so I can get back to work on my Vintage rides, so on that note I have a request.

I need a 13/32" socket, or box-end wrench. The socket would have to be pretty beefy as I even stooped so low as to use vice grips and they slipped! I modified a 3/8" to fit very tight, but it wasn't beefy enough.

The deal is a shaft with a locking nut. The shaft has that odd size, the locking nut uses a 15/16" wrench. I have to hold the shaft wile trying to loosen the nut. It's kicking my butt!

Does anyone have or know where I can procure a 3/8" drive (or larger) 13/32" socket?

Thanks in advance.

2. 54MEB

54MEB

Thats 10.3mm. Might have some luck starting there.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. stimpy

stimpy

If you can get in there with a dremel tool and there little 1" thin cut off discs ( not a 3" muffler cutter ) I would say slit the nut and split it ( put a screw driver in the slot and give it a twist ) and replace it with a new one as the old one sounds buggered anyways and needs to be replaced since its been rounded . try not to cut the stud/bolt but if you do a small slot shouldn't effect it much on holding power . if the discs will not fit they have small straight burrs that you can cut thru the side of the nut and do the same thing

I have removed many rounded stuck nuts this way over the years , and the guys laughed when they saw it in my tool box but later they bought one for themselves to use after they seen what I did with it . as its cost is about the same as some wrenches now .

4. txturbo

txturbo

never even heard of a socket or wrench in that size. Its probably metric as suggested or a special tool......but I would go with metric.

5. RamJet1

RamJet1

Thanks for the tips!

Since the car is Australian, I tried an 11mm but it was real sloppy, 10mm was too small. So I went to the 7/16, sloppy, 3/8" too small. Hit it with the calipers and it came to ~.404" or ~10.4mm, so I carefully modified a 3/8" open end wrench to barely fit, but the large lock nut is so tight that it spreads the wrench enough to make it slip on the hex-sided shaft.
    I don't know how easily I can replace the Nut, but cracking it was brought up, hahaha. Problem is, this is my daily driver, and none of the oldies are currently road worthy.
    If I could find a 10.3mm, I would give it a try. I did call around asking about 10.5mm and 13/32" sockets and wrenches. I got some crazy answers.

6. stimpy

stimpy

they do make half sizes in metric as modern Fords like to use them on some items they do not want non technicians to work on . I have some of the sockets in my tool box , they are mostly under 10 mm

7. stimpy

stimpy

fastenal or mc master carr can basically get you any nut made , sometimes you go to the dealer and they have them in packages for a buck or 5 . go to the dealer ( if its a Holden Chevrolet usually has all the parts in the american model version ) to see if the nut is offered and if so buy it or measure the threads as metric is lots easier than SAE with the combinations .