Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small block chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sunday driver, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

Hello all , I have a 69 sbc that has been sitting 30 years inside ..
    It's stock with a small cam ..
    I had it up side down and oiled up all the journals ..and have been turning it over by hand .
    So I put the fly wheel on and starter to do a compression test .
    The passenger side is high over 215 to 240 was the highest .
    the driver side was lower 170 to 200 ..
    I'm not sure what's going on lol a any help would be great !!!!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412645055.305268.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412645106.109073.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Did you have that plate bolted over the intake when you did the comp test?

Sunday driver likes this.
  3. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Even if it has been sitting inside, if it has been sitting with the valve covers and oil pan off For 30 years I would completely disassemble it and inspect it before I would use it .

4. I think I would just get it running and then check it again

Sunday driver and F&J like this.

5. Don't mean to sound critical, but I don't see an oil filter which leads me to believe that all the cranking for the compression test is pretty much dry. Also, in order to get compression you have to suck air in somewhere and it looks like the intake is blocked. Straighten me out if I'm wrong.

6. 327Eric

327Eric

Did you oil the bores. Maybe engine was tilted to one side and got more oil when you put it on the journals. Squirt oil equally in the holes, rotate it and try again.

Sunday driver and swade41 like this.
  7. Second vote for oiling the cylinders

8. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I would do this too. Gaskets are cheap. Rings and bearings are cheap if you find out early. A cam kit with new lifters, push rods, valve springs, rockers, etc. will save you a lot of heart ache. Lap the valves and inspect the seats at the same time. If you don't have hard seats, take care of that too with inserts and a three angle valve grind.

9. Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either break it down and inspect the entire thing, or put a pump, pickup, pan and filter on it, and prime it. Then put in a distributor before trying again.

You are going to wipe the bearings doing this.

And no plate or carburetor on the manifold when you do this. How do you expect that the air is going to get in there to compress?

11. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

Just needs oil in the rings. Been sitting so long they 'drained'.

12. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

Thanks everyone , yes I had the plate on there when I turned it over ...Dooow !
    it had a larger cam last time it ran then took out of the car to put a smaller cam work was done and never made it back to the car .
    i turned it over minimum , an squirted oil down the push rods when i did , im a Newbe so taking apart might be above my skills without help ..

yes i oiled everything when it was upside down could be one side got more ...I wanted to do it dry then if something was up i was going to put oil through the spark plug hole but didnt get that far ..
    I didnt want to spin it too much .

and yes the oil pan and filter were not on , friend said it might be ok to do ?
    sounds like its not ..
    note to self ask forum first lol

also the valves rockers might be lose too ..

So on a limited budget ,
    should i set it up to bench run ??

im not trying to cut corners but if i could get it going on the cheap , would be great .
    I got a price to take it apart for $500 to look at it , im sure more the that to get it back together .
    its for a open hood 32 so doing head work down the road I figure i could do in the car as my skills improve ..

thanks again everyone for the pointers !!
    -Sean

13. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

You may have to look at your valve adjustments. How long did you crank it before you did the test?

14. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

I have been oiling it and turning it over by hand for a couple days prior , to loosen it up...when I did the compression test with the starter maybe 4 to 5 revolutions per cylinder