Register now to get rid of these ads!

Requisite New Guy Thread - Hello from GR Michigan

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Fadi, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Fadi

Fadi

Hey there folks.

I'm a youngish (early 30's) guy in Grand Rapids, MI who has been lurking for a while and is kicking off his post count today.

The oldest car I currently own is a 2006 Mazda, and I've nearly got my wife convinced a ;49-54 Chevy or Pontiac is a good idea. My boys are already on my side, and I think it's just a matter of time and funding; and I'm making progress on the funding.

My dad is a long time hotrodder, and my first car ride was in a Studebaker. I grew up with Corvairs, classic Chevies, old Studebakers, and even a '48 Harley for a while. I had a 1949 Studebaker truck I bought when I was 17, but never got around to doing much with it, joined the Marine Corp at 18, and sold it when I got back and went to college.

Now my dad is in the middle of a '56 Chevy build, and I want to get something started before he finishes. My boys (5 and 7) love "old cars" and the oldest especially wants to help restore one. I want to be able to cruise some car shows with my dad and my boys in our classic within the next year. Because science says that would be awesome.

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Welcome from Detroit. Good luck with your quest

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

3. Fadi

Fadi

Well, I took the leap and bought a 1951 Olds 98. It needs some work, but is solid and is already road-worthy.

I don't have it home yet, but once I do and get cracking on it I'll put together a build thread. I'm pretty stoked.

4. Fadi

Fadi

The car is across the country. It's being picked up today and will be felivered by Friday. I'm hoping that it's going to be Thursday - I'm anxious to start diggin into it ASAP and get a bunch done before the urgency that comes with a new project starts to wear off.

Plus, you know, it's October in Michigan, and the days of outdoor work without gloves are numbered.

I'll get done what I can, then winter in Michigan this year means an unholstery project. New seat covers!