Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Pontiac Star Chief ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FouledPlugsCC, Jun 23, 2014.

1. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

I just bought a 1955 Pontiac yesterday. I have been searching the forum and the web and I don't see a lot of information on parts. Does anyone have any good suppliers? Also, what parts interchange with the chevy's i.e. weather stripping, gaskets?

2. Photogs189

Photogs189

I have been told that the glass is the only interchangeable parts between the 55 Chevy and Pontiac.
    I have a 55 Chieftan but haven't had to replace anything yet..
    Ames is a good sources for 55 Pontiac parts
    There is an interesting article in "Auto Restorer Magazine" May 2014 Vol 26 No 5.
    Tells how one car was built from 6 donor's
    Good luck with your Pontiac

FouledPlugsCC likes this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

All the weather stripping, Glass, & Doors, same as Chevy. Trunk lid Star Chief only!
    That evil auction site(ebay) can be your best source for parts at a fair price.
    Some parts are '55-'57 Pontiac only, some parts are '55 Pontiac only!
    There are floor patch panels available. PM me if you need more info.
    Good Luck KK

FouledPlugsCC likes this.
  4. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

I got lucky with a pretty solid car. All the trim is intact. I am thinking I will mainly need weather stripping. Thanks for the responses.

5. Bored Over

Bored Over

Who sells the floor patch panels? Thanks.

6. Photogs189

Photogs189

KK
    Good added info. Hope all is well with you and the family.
    Saw PF at DQ the other day. He had the Lark at Bills.
    PK

7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Ames Performance and Performance Years are two good suppliers for parts. California Pontiac Restoration is another good one, and they seem to have more for the older Pontiacs - the first two concentrate more on 1960s and 1970s models.

Window glass should be the same as a Chevy, along with weatherstripping (at least from the beltline up.)

8. There are some generic floor panels on eBay, but I've heard mostly bad on the quality. Decent pans have been made in the past but no one is making those right now.

Pretty much from the belt-line up interchanges, as will door shells, window regulators, and some other small parts. But that's about it - chassis is completely different, engine, trans are different from Chevy, rearend is different, front clip, etc. 55-56 wagons except Safari share the quarter panels and taillight opening, also. Trans itself is shared with Olds and Cadillac.

Pontiacs used more or less the same chassis from 49-57, some 58 parts can be used to upgrade them. But its a kingpin type front end.

9. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

I've had good luck with parts for my 56 from CPR and Kanter.

10. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Any one selling repro front drums for the '55 Chieftains? Kanter sold me a pair that weren't correct, by the time I went to assemble I had them too long for return. Note to self "don't buy it 'til you need it."