Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this steeringbox ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Sep 29, 2014.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

what is this steering box in my 32 cab?

Pictures are not good quality, hope that somebody recognize what car is it from?

Aulis

Attached Files:

2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Here comes better pictures.
    Steeringbox nr is 900945-9

Aulis

Attached Files:

3. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I can't tell very well, but it reminds me of a mid to late GM box. I had two that were suppost to be from a 57 and a 59. I had to play with the splines to fit the ford but it worked great. It was similar to the F100 box but heaver. I got them because they were discussed in a early 60s magazine as being smother than the ford box. I put one in a 27 hiboy with 32 frame. That was in 93 and it is still there. I will try to find the one that was not used and try to compare with the photos. I do not recall the 2 screws on the end.

4. are you wanting to rebuild the box?

5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You for information.

This box is very good condition and I like also ratio etc.
    Just interested in to know what is that box. I have Orig. 32-34 boxes, F1, F100, returned corvair etc. and I recognize those all,....

Rgds,AULIS

6. dtracy

dtracy

It kind of looks like a late 40's Chev pickup.

Dave.

7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Dave.
    Aulis

8. Is that Ernie Hammons old 32 cabriolet

9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes I bought it from Ernie. Need to piece engine, change tranny and piece rear axle during winter.
    Body and frame I leave mainly like those are.

Engine was not running good, and my friend in Orange CA called Ernie. Ernie was told that engine was never run good. First I piece Nash twin 8 distributor and check timing etc. All was there OK. Ernie was install there first generation Ignitor eletc. modules for bot coils. Stromberg 97 carbs I throw over my shoulders and Install new 94 carbs.
    Those works good after I changed powervalves and jets.

Engine is knocking when its warm. I note that when I drive car home from South-Finland when it arrived to Finland. Good oilpressure is good 45psi and oil is clean.
    Noice is not coming from valves.
    Yesterday evening I found problem from cylinders. I push optical camera in to cylinders one after other. 2 pistons are touch cylinderhead.

Good thing is that I have not "pedaled" engine and nothing broken, yet. I was wonder why there is so many washer between heads and sparkplugs. Need to measure all, compression heights, compression ratio etc. Try to thicken head gaskets or need to cut 0,2-0,5mm from top of the pistons.
    I push also camera to valvevalley and note that there is good valvestuff installed, but camshaft is maybe regular.
    Need to get more old style rocking sound and power too... Very interesting engine and something different and new for me. I have rebuilt (bore, hone,....) one 21bolt engine and remember that rod bearings were not easy to Find.

Tranny is early model because can hear 1st gears sound, straight cut. I have rebuilt 1939- tranny waiting and same time can fix speedometer gear in driveshaft. All other 1932-33 studebarker curved lense gauges are working but speedometer not. and found broken gear downstairs. 1940brakes I change to 30s lincoln bendix model and okie axle will be installed too. Then ready for next summers trips,....

Sorry my english.(I know that words are not all the time right order,...)
    A

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Hnstray likes this.
  10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

we read you loud & clear.

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

English is fine,we understand it.
    Hell,I know Americans who can't spell or get across what they mean to say.