Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead intake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dbeach2, Sep 8, 2014.

1. dbeach2

dbeach2
    from missouri

Why does some of the flathead intake have the geneartor mounting surface off set to one side? I have a odd fenton that is set off the the drivers side by about 1 inch.

2. alchemy

alchemy

If it's a late model, probably to get the fanbelt to clear the distributor and wires better. That's my only guess why.

3. Crankhole

Crankhole

To clear the front carburetor.

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only on 8BA . It looks goofy with the fan off set on the radiator too. Not too sure pn the reason but dont like it. Only options are to fit an early manifold and modify the breathing.

5. alchemy

alchemy

One inch won't get you beside the carbs.

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Just put the Fenton 2x2 on @safari-wagon's new flathead for the the Bell Plumbing Roadster. On the center generator intakes, the rear bearing area on the generator rear casting comes in contact with the boss on the float bowl/carb top that holds the carb top to the main body. An inch will definitely get you that clearance as the boss is only slightly wider than 1/8". It's also really hard to reach the center bolt on the throttle body with the center mounted gen intake. Impossible in fact. This intake and carbs was on the old flattie. We realized the carbs needed a little snug up and had to pull the generator to tighten that one nut. The Strombergs are mounted backwards on these intakes with the needle and seat facing the passenger side of the car and the float bowls pointed at the fire wall. Just went through this last night. So yes, an inch will "get you there".

image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

That intake with backwards carbs is a Fenton? Show me pics, I don't believe it. Maybe a Hexagon Tool?

As I said, one inch won't get you beside the carbs. It may make clearance on some odd backwards intake, but not beside the front carb of a Fenton. I don't build late model flatheads, so I am not real familiar with the breathing tubes up there and the clearance they need.

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here ya go. Maybe it's not a Fenton. Like I said it's safari-wagon's and he said it was a Fenton. Doesn't say "Fenton" but it's polished and I thought they ground the name off.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. alchemy

alchemy

Hexagon Tool is the manufacturer.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks for the info alchemy, that makes it even cooler. Interesting history.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes not Fenton as they have a flat middle with a ribbed section .

12. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

What is the writing or marking behind the generator mount?

13. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Garagerat the intake you have pictured is the very hard to find Hexagon Tool with the flat carburetor mounts. The Hexagon Tool name hasn't been ground off as these intakes with the two flat carburetor mounts were cast without any name cast into them. I have one of these in my collection and the others that I have seen, all were cast without the Hexagon Tool name on the intake.

14. INXS

INXS

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412015685.534457.jpg

Here's my Hexagon tool intake:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!