Register now to get rid of these ads!

AM General FJ-8A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconvan, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

They're tough to find. Production numbers were fairly limited.

2. jdavies77

jdavies77

If you're willing to travel, I think I've mastered finding these old mail trucks, There's at least 10 different versions out there from different manufacturers for the mid 60's to early 80's.

I bought my '73 AM General FJ8-A back in '06 for $1,000, hauled it up from Indiana and turned it into the "Hip Hop Soda Pop Shop" and specialized in glass bottled soda pop. Needless to say when the economy started to crash, so did peoples want to spend extra money like that. Sold the truck in '09 for $7500, not a bad profit. I see the truck occassionaly, the kid who bought it had some grudge against how he was treated by an ice cream man years ago and dedicated my old truck to making all other kids feel his pain. Kinda weird, but hey, who am I to judge, he paid me..lol

Now I'm on to a new business idea using an old Studebaker postal van. I'll have pics soon.

If you're seriously wanting to locate a postal van, PM me, depending on what you have to invest, I can probably locate oneand have it delivered to your door.

3. jdavies77

jdavies77

4. Leonardos

Leonardos
    from Florida

I could use some help with my 1986 FJ8C. I am setting it up to be an Italian Ice truck. The windshield wiper linkage was broken at the motor arm when I bought it but I think there was a piece of linkage in the center of the left and right linkages that is missing. Does anyone have a picture of this linkage setup to share? I can't find a pic or diagram of the setup on google. I'll post some pics this week when my vinyl graphics come in.

5. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

6. Leonardos

Leonardos
    from Florida

7. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Nice! That's a clean machine, bro.

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

Not personal and not to be a prick ;),it's an entertaining project...But can someone tell me how these mail vans aren't totally off topic on the HAMB? Many posts far less O/T have been shit canned by the moderators.

trollst likes this.
  9. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I wondered that myself. I stuck it on here when I bought it and it stayed during the whole build and had a lot of interest so I kept posting. I figured somewhere along the line the moderators would banish it but they never did. In fact, I finished and sold the thing over a year ago and people still keep posting on it so I keep the conversation going. I guess it's like the ugly chick with big boobs that everyone says they wont sleep with but they do.

10. hammanthang

hammanthang
    from Semmes, AL

Hey is the copy of the service manual still available? I have just bought a 74 FJ8 and I am working on a friends 84 FJ8C. The 84 I have been winging it. Going off of personal knowledge on a vehicle I don't know limits you. In the 84 we have it up and running as an Ice Cream Truck. Rebuilt the transmission. the 74 will be an Ice Cream truck when I get done with it. Got 74 running after sitting for a couple of years. It had holes in the fuel tank and fuel lines. Will post pics soon. or for 84 you can visit our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pnhcream If the service manual is available for either one of these trucks would appreciate an inquire Thanks!!

11. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I gave it to the guy who bought the truck but Swimeasy has a copy.

12. harleybayo

harleybayo
    from california

[QUOTE=ssgtwright2515;5264522 Hey mister ssgtwright saw your post about some guy in Texas that can find anthing about the Type in FJ8C postal truck.MY #831-794-9718 Gilbert I have two 84 amgenerals one with a busted leafspring need a replacment Please if you can get me in touch with him, or if any one knows were I can locate a set of leafsprings I would apprecciate it. please call #831 794-9718 ask for gilbert thanks

13. harleybayo

harleybayo
    from california

Hello friends if any body knows of a set of leafsprings (front) for a 1984 amgeneral postal truck, I would like to hear from you pleas # 831-794-9718 Gilbert this is my buisnes and I realy need the help .

14. uptonogood09

uptonogood09
    from oklahoma

ive still been looking all over for one of these with zero luck

15. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Yeah, pretty low production numbers. None made for the public; only the postal service.

16. darb

darb
    from Monroe, LA

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought a FJ-8A and it came with the Operator's Manual and also a DJ-5 Operator's Manual Supplemental. I am on the hunt for the FJ-8A Service Manual. I sent Swim a private message, hoping to hear back. Anyways, if anyone wants one or both, PM your email address, would be glad to share. Its not too informative, but it is neat to read through and to have!

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  17. 1RudeBoy

1RudeBoy
    from Arizona

Hey Guys,

I am a 100% new here and a new owner of a FJ-8A. I paid $800.00 for it and it was well worth every penny. Since I have found this thread I have read it from the beginning and I have fallen in love. Wonderful Job Falconvan!

18. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Cool, I'm glad you like it. Now I wish I'd have kept the damn thing! Oh we'll, good excuse to find and build another. The next one will be diesel powered, possibly with a Cummins 4BT.

19. hungrycastle

hungrycastle

hey, we are really big fans of the FJ-8A and we are searching for one in Europe or maybe in the US to buy and bring it to Barcelona. But it is nearly impossible to one for sale in the internet. Has anyone here a idea how we could find one?

20. HobbyPoor

HobbyPoor
    from Cochran Ga

I know this is an old thread...but I also bought one of these this weekend....it's gonna go thru a restoration of some proportion. Pics to come soon. It's a 74 dual fuel model....actually runs and drives. Flipping thing turns as many heads as my corvettes. I way over paid to get it....but I have it now. Should be a fun project. I own some shaved ice locations and plan on using it as a mobile unit/rolling billboard.

21. Joe H

Joe H

So how did it drive with the 292?

22. HobbyPoor

HobbyPoor
    from Cochran Ga

Not terribly bad....weird right hand drive though. Needing parts like window gaskets....other than those I'm good. Gonna need some sheetmetal work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.