Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 63 galaxies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammered30, Aug 31, 2014.

1. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

Hi everyone
    does anyone know if the chassis on a 63 fastback galaxie is the same as a 4 door the chassis on mine is really rusty and I have the chance to buy a 4 door chassis with no rust any help would be great
    cheers hammered

2. I believe they're all the same except the convertible and possibly the wagon. Match up the wheelbase and you should be okay.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

'61 to '64 Galaxie and Mercury Monterey chassis are all very similar. Extra structure was added for the convertibles, and a few little tweaks were made from year to year. But for the most part 2 door, 4 door, and wagon are all interchangeable.

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

On a quite night you can hear those Fords rusting

5. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

nwbhotrod Unless there are any GMs around.

loudbang likes this.
  6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I normally love arguing with the Chebbie apologists, but when it comes to my '62 Monterey, nwbhotrod is unfortunately correct. I had to replace about 4 ft of frame rail on each side, the bottom 8 inches of the car body or so (rockers, floor, quarters, etc.), and the windshield and tailgate headers. Lots and Lots and Lots of rust. Sadly, it is a common problem with the early 60's full size Ford and Mercury's. Especially if they sat for any length of time without maintenance.

7. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I was working at a Chevy dealership in 1974 An older woman came in with a 63 Chevy. It was leaning on the right rear. The frame was rusted through, causing it to lean. This was in Southern Tennessee in 1974 and an 11 year old car. I worked there 1 year, then worked at the local Ford dealership for 25 years. G.M. had more problems than rust.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  8. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

Thanks for the replys .I will look into it
    hammered30

9. lgh1157

lgh1157

63 and 64 frames are different where the core support mounts, you could do some work to em, but im not sure how involved it is
    All the 60' - 64's have the similar cow belly shape, but there are subtle differences