Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Gonna chop my '58 Chevy big window truck. Any pointers on the glass and stainless part of the chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ElBrujo, Sep 14, 2014.

1. So I decided on a moderate 2" chop and I recently saw an online article from custom classic trucks on how to do that 2" chop. I think I have that part covered, my question is my truck came without glass and stainless. Would it be best to buy new stainless and cut it or get some original pieces and cut/weld those? How would you go about cutting the stainless and welding it back together? Should I get the glass cut first before chopping the top? Any input greatly appreciated.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't believe you can cut the back glass. It would have to be laminated safety glass, like the windshield, to be cut down for your chop. Typically, curved rear glass is 'tempered' glass, and will shatter into small bits, like gravel.

As for the stainless moldings, if they must be welded, they should be TIG welded by a very competent welder.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. I talked to Chris Blattie here on the HAMB and he told me the glass shop can make the back glass to the size you want. They can also make it either laminated or tempered. So the glass cutting wouldn't be an issue.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your thread is titled "Big back window '58 Chevy........." The big back window has a gentle curve it's entire width and tightly curved corners. I do not know the content of your conversation with Chris, but I suspect he was thinking flat glass when he said glass shops can make the window any size you want. Curved glass CAN be custom made, but not by a typical glass shop. It has to be ordered from specialty glass companies and it is not cheap. And, the pattern for a special order curved glass is a totally different animal than for flat glass and has to be exact, if the glass is to fit. I think you may have a bit more 'homework' to do before you start cutting.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Special Ed likes this.
  6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

^^^^^^^^What he said. Stu

7. dadseh

dadseh

Why not fill in the curved sides and use flat glass ?

8. Chris referred me to the company that makes the glass for him and they said they can make the front and rear glass with whatever chop I wanted. They can also make it in tempered or laminated.

9. I love the wrap around glass.

10. Well, there you go.
    Get the glass cut or made to the size you want and chop the top to match. Metal is much more forgiving than glass

turboroadster likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, in that case......"maintain heading.......full speed ahead"...........

Best wishes with your project.

Ray

12. oldolds

oldolds

Get the glass first. Cut the roof to fit the glass. You will have problems if you cut the roof and expect the glass to fit.

13. And for gosh sake, how about pictures? No fair teasing.

Ben

14. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

My neighbor did it. It took 4 rear windows to get it right, broke 2 originals and one reproduction. He said he would never recommend doing it and regretted it due to cost and effort. I have to admit it's cool and the only one I've ever seen. I am not sure how they cut the final version but it was with heat...also second the motion to cut the glass first and fit the opening to it. Sorry I don't have any better pics.

Attached Files:

ElBrujo likes this.
  15. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

Leevon your neighbors truck is right on. Simply a gorgeous truck.

16. Just a thought, before you whack 2", try 1" and see if you like it, then 1 1/2" if you want more, etc.

The subtle chop works so much better on TF's

17. 2Loose

2Loose

I've thought about doing a slight chop on either or both of my '55 and '58 pickups. The glass issue has stopped me every time, living in Hawaii has it's drawbacks on finding the right parts for jobs like this. My '55 is a small back window, the '58 is a large back window.....
    [​IMG]
    I think it would look great with at least a 2" cut top....

18. Here ya go. Photochop courtesy of madfish.

Attached Files:

19. Will do! Thanks.

20. Thanks

21. That is also something I have thought about but the end result is so awesome that I'm willing to risk it. Beautiful truck BTW.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be very serious about inquiring as to the exact cost of the custom formed glass as that may be a budget blower before you start unless you have very deep pockets.

Hnstray likes this.
  23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I was just goint to say what Mr48chev said. You better look at the cost of having custom curved glass made for your truck. From what I know fo a couple other jobs like that, it is extremely expensive!
    When we did the Kopper Kart, the aftermarket rear window, the big window, was laminated, and we could cut it.

24. alchemy

alchemy

Do you have a quote from them yet? I bet it's in the thousands. Do yourself a favor and find out how much a new custom windshield and back window is gonna cost.

25. flynstone

flynstone

when my friend chopped his 59 impala it was 2k for the back and he had to make the buck. the frt they were able to cut after 4 trys at 350 each....... check on the glass first unless money is no object

26. I believe I didn't specify, but it's American made aftermarket glass. It runs $350 before tax & shipping. And they charge $500 to cut it. I called Chris again this morning and he said to most definitely chop it first and then make have the glass cut to the new shape. Now the stainless part is where I haven't found any info on. I have a deluxe cab and want to run the stainless that goes around the glass and the stainless that goes inside the weatherstripping. Has anyone cut and welded these?

27. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The simple answer is cut it to fit, and carefully weld it back together. I know guys have used MIGs but I find that the wire is often a slightly different color than the stainless on old cars. I TIG them, using thin strips I cut off extra trim, so it's the same alloy and color. But it ain't easy! The trim is very thin and easy to blow holes in. You also have to fine finish them perfectly before polishing, and that also takes care and time.

28. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

29. Like the glass cutting, this is one of those projects which I'm going to have to hire a professional. I'm a body man/painter by trade and I want to do as much on my project as possible, but this is one of those things which I'm not ashamed to say that I can't handle.