Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor Rim & Wheel Co.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droptop 63, Jun 7, 2012.

1. droptop 63

droptop 63
    from Texas

I am interested in finding out if any forum members remember the Motor Rim and Wheel Company and the wheels they made. The reason that I am asking is that I recently ran across a set of "Flys" from the 1969 to 71 years. They made quite a few different styles but the Flys were the pinnacle of their wheel making art. They are magnesium wheels and could be ordered with the super lightweight lug nuts. Any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. fms427

fms427

I worked with Motor Wheel Corp. in Lansing, Mi - did OEM wheels, including the chrome Buick sport wheels of the 60's and 70's. Not sure they did any alloy stuff, though. Now out of business.

3. fordcpe

fordcpe

love these wheels but they crack when used on the street.Seen lots made to junk all narrow fronts.

4. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Only the front, 15"x3.5" Fly's, were magnesium, all the rear's were aluminum..."Fly's" were Motor Wheel's venture into drag racing wheel production, and were seen on some very prominent Pro Stock cars of the time...Gapp & Roush, Glidden, Mike Fons...

They also had a front wheel made from spun aluminum with no windows called, "Flea's"...I have one pair of those...

They had a custom street wheel called "Spyder's", which were available in a steel rim/aluminum center version, although I don't ever recall having seen an all aluminum version, but, some of those early '70's Pro Stock guy's ran Spyders on the rear....I have a complete set of four magnesium Spyder's, the only one's I've ever seen...

I currently have eight sets of Fly's...six sets are 15x3.5/15x14...one set 15x3.5/15x12...and one set 15x3.5/15x10

Greg Weld of Weld Wheels tried to buy the patent for the Fly's from Motor Wheel, but they wouldn't relinquish it, so, he had his engineers modify the design, and put out his "Dragstar"-style wheels...

Monoque Wheels had a version, as did Bogart Wheels...all based on the original Motor Wheel Fly design...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I love flys, found a set (15x3.5 and 15x10) at the Portland swap this year but since i had just bought a set of rims for my chvey I had to pass due to lack of funds. I want a set someday

I have heard rumors of a repop for the street being in development.

I want a set to build a vintage pro stock vega

6. Mr. Bennett

Mr. Bennett

The "Flys" are a great looking wheel. Best ever in my opinion. I have a set of magnesium 15" x 3.5" and 15" x 8" aluminums on my super stocker. Also have a pair of 15" x 12's. Just need to find those evasive 10" rears.
    They did briefly come with aluminum lug nuts but were outlawed by N.H.R.A. Also the lugs are .750 diameter and are proprietery to the "Fly".
    I would consider selling the 12's if I could find a set of 10's with 4" of B/S and a 4.75" B.C.

Allan

7. Weasel

Weasel

Gary Kollofski ran tyem on the front of his killer '36 Willys coupe....

[​IMG]

8. indianhead74

indianhead74

Fly's were killer, I think Car Craft had a set on the Clockwork Orange '57 Chevy. Anybody remember that Movie or car? Indy

9. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i had a set of pro-stars on my '67 coronet stocker. kept them clean with comet and a soft wheel brush. they looked like fly's from across the street. and much cheaper.

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wheel junkie needs pics!

11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes and yes
    [​IMG]

Ramblur likes this.
  12. krooser

krooser

Those wheels look like they should be on a '79 Camaro... now where did I put my mullet wig?

13. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Good one!!!

14. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I say "BLASPHEMY" to that comment sir! Fly's are serious hardcore race wheels, not some cheap knock-off!

15. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Fly's on the front, Spyder's on the rear...

16. studeboy

studeboy

My Grandfather was an engineer and my Dad and a couple of my uncles worked there. General Motors was in the building last I knew (I haven't been up on that part of town in a long time).

As for the wheels I knew they did some aftermarket wheels but didn't realize that these were the ones. The Flys are nice looking, the Spyders not so much. Not a fan of the black centers. I can see why Weld would want to use that design.

17. krooser

krooser

Not to be a snob but where do these fall into the "traditional" category? I had four 80's Cragar wheels on my old '55 F100 but I never thought to discuss them here.:confused:

I'm just wondering...

18. mddndps

mddndps
    from Texas

Guys those wheels are alive and well here in hewitt tx .more pics in my albums

Attached Files:

19. HemiTub

HemiTub
    from Florida

yepper, Motor Wheel company supplied the big 3 with their rallye wheels, ventured in the aftermarket wheel arena with the Spyders. I've always had a set hanging around for 30 years. I've been a fan of those ugly things. Dare to be different. I actually had a set of the 15x12" one piece wheels (Tru-Design Wheel in CO has them now). Even had a set of Fly's. They were a great looking wheel. The Magnesium I didn't like because you just couldn't ever keep them polished. Center caps are rare. Had a source for them at one time in WA.

20. A bit late to this dance but a tip from a friend and a search led me here after google let me down. I am trying to identify the era and where this patch was used. The patch is about 1" by 4 1/2" So far I know the history and location but unsure on when, where and why this patch was used.

[​IMG]

21. Ramblur

Ramblur

Their anti-gravitational properties are legendary.[​IMG]

studeboy likes this.
  22. Had a pair of the Spyders in 15x6 - rare size but one had a cracked center so sold them basically as 1 good and 1 "project" :D
    Spyders.JPG
    Steve

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015