Register now to get rid of these ads!

does anybody remember flat dog ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintakes, Oct 15, 2009.

1. vintakes

vintakes

as you know dj died 2 aprils ago. we used to hang out together in nj for many yrs. i moved to ca in 99 but still had contact all these yrs. anyhow mrs flat dog [karen jackowski] sent me a few new flat dog racing tee shirts. which i will give FREE to any hambers at the hot rod reunion. stop by my swap meet space [look for 88 white suburban, many air cleaners and sun tachs] and mention flatdog first come first served will be there tomorrow john olsen

2. fatabone

fatabone

He is missed for sure. I'd see him at numerous shows every year and looked forward to his stories and wisdom he could give. He was a great guy with a passion for speed.

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That's really nice of ya man. I do remember when he passed. Sometimes you think you know the people on this site even though you've never met them before. Have a good time at the swap meet-

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Search his few-but-priceless posts on here and the posts about him. He was a leading edge researcher...I think his '33 probably remains the most powerful street driven flathead, and his altered was just beginning to develop when he died.
    He a true scientist, reading, studying, rigging up flow chambers and transparent parts to look at reality, and designing his own chambers from scratch. One of the best engine thinkers around, and VERY interesting in a discussion of anything automotive.
    His past racing work involved Corvettes...he was mildly amused that his flathead was faster.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

He was a personal and special friend to me. I'd do just about anything to get a t-shirt to wear in memory of him. I would trade you another t-shirt I might have in your size or send you a box of my homemade chocolate chips cookies, which he absolutely loved, in trade. I wear a XL.

I'll share a quick story with you. He loved my cookies so much one time he took two, one in each hand. He started to eat one and the other one he slide in his front shirt pocket. It was a hot day and the chocolate chips made stripes on his shirt going from his shoulder right into the pocket. We all got a good laugh outta that. Thanks for bringing him up today. I've got some nice memories of him to think about.

6. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Denise,
    I remember the Flatdog cookie story. That was a good one on him and says something about how everybody craves your cookies.

I remember some of his posts. Great stuff, but just not enough of them.

You gave me a scare with your ad for your "other" car in the signature line. I first thought it was Big Olds.

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Never met him, wished I had. He posted some really neat stuff on here.

8. banjorear

banjorear

I have a cool Flat Dog story.

There is this show out in Magungie, PA every August. The entrance in to the show has a little rise to it so you can't see the cars coming in until they reach the peak and head down the slope. So you hear the car before you see it. Got the picture?

Well, Flatdog's '33 was entering the show and you saw a bunch of heads snap backward to check out the sound of, what they thought, was a seriously worked over SBC.

The look on their faces was priceless when he pulled by them and they saw that the mill that was making that glorious noise was not a SBC but a flathead.

Simply awesome.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  9. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I had several communications with him. He wasn't really afraid to share info but sometimes he would qualify it with "If I tell you I'll have to kill you". He surely is missed on this board. His posts were always informative and never failed to tell you if he thought you were all wet.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Count me among those who wished he knew them better...his posts are missed - always made you think.

11. I can not believe it's been almost two years since he passed. Unfortunately I never had the chance to meet him, he had posted on some of my flathead question threads and I would like to think that I am a little more informed about flatheads from reading his posts.

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

One of the most stand up guys on here. He is truly missed.

13. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

That's kind of a measure of a man's success, isn't it.......two years after you're gone, people remember you, and remember you fondly...............slide

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Like others I never met him and its my loss. I always appreciated it when he posted as I knew it was "real" information that he had personal knowledge of. Thanks for reminding us of a valued member of this board that no longer dwells among us. Once more, RIP flatdog.

Frank

15. power shifter

power shifter
    from nj

johnny its joe i work at the shop.

16. yekoms

yekoms

Yep, I First met FlatDog and CuzinBrucie at Hershey the fall before he passed. We were just three guys that didn't know each other lookin' at old parts. I noticed that the guy with the camera had a HAMB sweatshirt on. I introduced myself as Yekoms on the HAMB he said "I'm CuzinBrucie the other guy turned around and said "I'm FlatDog." I bought one of my headlight rings from the stand where we met. I bumped into them both a few more times that day. Now every time that I see Cuz I think of that day.
    Smokey

17. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thanks for bringing "flatdog's" memories back. It sure doesn't seem like he has been gone for that long. Really enjoyed him sharing his knowledge of the flatheads. I remember him cutting the block apart to show the flow of the ports in a flathead. Very down to earth logic. Flatdog, RIP.

Neal

18. Flat32

Flat32

In fond memory of Flatdog who once challenged me to get my coupe to a 15.0 I've since attained a 13.298.

I miss you Don.

Flat32

19. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

I remember how hard Don tried to get his coupe to run under 15 seconds he was running the multi cars at the time. He put a lot of effort into that motor but it still wouldnt go under the 15 range. I talked Don into trying a blower when Don decided to give it a try I built him a 471 set up the first time out with the blower he ran in the 14 second range I think his coupe eventually ran in the 12 second range with a flathead. Latter on Don and Arnie Schuman put the blower in their altered with Arnie driving the car ran in the tens. DJ knew how to make the power.

rat bastad likes this.
  20. Great guy who let me bend his ear on more than one occasion talking blown flatheads....RIP

21. Don was a great guy and definitely a asset to the Hamb. HRP