Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric Fuel Pump Install for Model A Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louder50, Sep 8, 2014.

1. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

I am thinking of using an electric fuel pump on my 28 ford sedan with a sbc motor. Does anyone have any experience or pics of how they mounted theirs and did the plumbing? I will be using the original fuel tank in its original location on top of the cowl. Safety is my first concern.

2. Are you running a hood?Maybe on the firewall.

3. aaggie

aaggie

The pump doesn't have to be right at the tank. You could mount it on the frame under the car then run the lines from the tank to pump then from the pump to the engine. Either way your driving range will be limited due to the capacity of the stock gas tank. Don't forget the filters and possibly a pressure regulator depending on the pump and carb.

4. Any chance there is room for a mechanical pump? If so, that is what I would run. Maybe an earlier one that might be smaller. Be sure to wire the pump such that if the motor stops the pump stops (like in the case of an accident). The fact that the pump stops when the engine stops is a nice feature of a mechanical pump.

Charlie Stephens

5. gotit

gotit

I mounted my pump on the center crossmember. I ran the lines inside the firewall and through the wood floor to the pump and followed that line back up. It hooks to the factory sediment bowl on the cowl and outside the cowl to the carbs. Hard to see there is a pump in there

6. retromotors

retromotors

I'm really not trying to sound like a smartass here, but to my way of thinking the above two sentences are mutually exclusive.
    Damn if I want my fuel tank sittin' right above my knees ... or ANYWHERE inside the car.
    That didn't work all that great at Model A era speeds, and definitely not at current road speeds.

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

retro -

That's why louder wants a fuel pump...so the fuel "can" keep up..!
    As far as "in" the cowl (I doubt it's "on top of the cowl"), I'm not sure on that one either, but unless it's a true fuel cell, most any place on the car is prone to leakage/fire in an heavy enough incident.

louder -
    Look into the Carter "inline pumps". They have two or three pressures to choose from. They look like the modern, high pressure pumps, but are toned down to work with carburetors. I put a 4.5psi pump on my V-8 and it works just fine. Small, quiet, very easy to mount.
    Easy positive wire connection, plus a ground.

Mike

8. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

Lots of good ideas guys, I appreciate it and will research all these options. I never intended to use the original tank but its in amazingly good condition and I dont like saddle tanks, or the 32 option and want to keep the rear seat. I do need to look into the switches that cut power to the pump in a wreck...........but if I got hit hard enough to be an issue I would probably be dead already. Not much structure to protdct you in a 28 sedan.

9. Before you look into switches check out what modern cars are doing. I am sure they have solved the problem. If I remember correctly the solution involves where you pick up the power for the pump. Maybe try a good automotive electric shop. How about a post with the title showing exactly what you are looking for? Be sure to post the answer when you find it.

Charlie Stephens