Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods First post, and a question. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 02CumminsGuy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. 02CumminsGuy

02CumminsGuy

Hey guys and gals,

I need your opinion on a car and couldn't think of a better time to introduce myself. My name is jay, I'm from northern bc Canada. I've been lurking and reading a ton here for the last few months. There certainly is a lot of knowledge and ingenuity here.

Here is my question, there is a guy local to me selling a 1952 Chevy style line coupe. The car has been sitting for a while and currently doesn't run. Apparently it has some "surface" rust and that's all. The interior is almost stripped according to the owner. I am going to look at it when I have time in a couple of days and was just wondering if his asking price of $1500 is within reason?

Thanks a lot guys.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

From what I can see in the picture I would say yes. All the chrome and bright work seems to be there.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Around here it is, looks good!

5. khead47

khead47

I think it is. Offer him a grand and see what happens.

6. retromotors

retromotors

Unless my eyes deceive me, that's a Fleetline sedan, not a Styleline coupe.
    Still looks like a goodie.

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's a '52 Fastback body, which in the the US is extremely rare. '49 thru '51 are the most common, but '52s, not so much. The reason I am aware of that is I owned one many years ago. Purchased from a friend who had owned it for years and one day he mentioned how uncommon '52 fastbacks are. From that day on, nearly 50 years ago, I took notice of any '49 up models that I see and have found he was correct.

Now, that being said, I would also say that I don't think that makes a '52 any more valuable than any prior year model........it's just a tidbit of useless information.

More to the point, I agree with prior posters, the Chevy looks like it is worth in the range the seller is asking. However, don't expect it to be rust free. It is very likely that some underbody rust through is present. Fortunately, replacement panels are readily available if needed.

Best wishes with your potential purchase.

Ray

8. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless there is rust or body damage not visible in the picture that would require lots of metal work, $1'500 is a great price. I believe last months "Street Rodder" profiled a Bobby Alloway build of one of these cars.

9. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

A buddy here in Albuquerque has a similar Chevy with a carbed LS1 on bottle in it.
    [​IMG]
    Runs hard. Inspiration maybe?

10. Larry T

Larry T

Kinda depends on how close the frame and floor pan are to the dirt. I looked at a 58 Del Ray that looked great until you saw the frame and floorpans were completely rusted away from sitting on the ground.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You don't have your wallet out yet ? :D

Does it have a title ?

Don

12. jetcycles

jetcycles

Very fair price in my humble opinion

13. squirrel

squirrel

asking price is fair if the condition is as stated. But we all know how it works...there will be a bunch of metal rusted away on the bottom of the car, and the car is really worth less than he's asking. At least, that's what happens 9 times out of 10.

You need to get it up in the air and spend some time looking it over underneath, hopefully with a knowledgeable helper, before deciding to buy it.

the other thing is to make sure it's a car you really want. I finally learned to stop buying cars because "they were there", and instead go searching for a year/model/body style that I really want.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

[QUOTE="squirrel,

I finally learned to stop buying cars because "they were there", and instead go searching for a year/model/body style that I really want.[/QUOTE]

Good advice ..........:)

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, Cool body style. looks pretty good, except what appears to be rusting by headlights and passenger side fender. if there are what look like paint bubbles very likely heavy rust under them. as stated, look very carefully at lower part of car & frame. that bed of truck next to '52 is a warning of what you might find. hope it is solid starter for a big project. never hurts to offer a couple hundred less and see what seller says.

16. camerl2009

camerl2009

id buy it rusted out floors don't bother me none id say try to talk them down on the price though

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if it has a good floor and trunk and the body mounts are still there that would sell for double that where I live.

18. I believe in 52, you could only get the Fleetline in a 2 door. Kinda neat, all the other years, 4 doors were made along with the 2 door. If the car has a title and just surface rust, the asking price isn't bad at all. A total of 37,164 were made in 1952. That's low compared to the previous years.

Dustin

19. retromotors

retromotors

20. The answer depends to some degree on what you plan to do with it, and that is?

Charlie Stephens

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As already suggested, buy it only if it is really what you want. - not because it's available.
    The fact that it's missing hard to find trim and does not run are negatives. Plus,
    how are the floor and A-pillars?

22. 02CumminsGuy

02CumminsGuy

Wow, I wasn't expecting that kind of response. Thanks a ton. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow when I'm back in town. The plan would be ls based engine, new suspension etc. if it is a fleetline I'll buy it. I love the fleetlines. I'm sure there is more rust than he says, but that is always to be expected with a car of that age sitting outside.

23. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Particularly in Canada. Clearly it hasn't been outside that long or it would be much worse.
    I'm scared to see what the frame looks like.
    Cars which sat outside 10 years in Minnesota usually had frames , floors, and rockers that looked like Swiss cheese, and those were running cars, not field finds.

24. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The body looks pretty nice. Like Ulu said; I'd be most concerned about the frame. Check it for rot. They can always be repaired, as long as you're into undertaking that kind of work.

25. I've sold worse for more money. Jump on it, cleaned up, rolling, and running you could flip it and come out ahead.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure would.

If it has a title, and the aforementioned parts, just give him the money.

27. camerl2009

camerl2009

id give the suspension a one over most likely new springs but nothing that would be too drastic. if its been sitting for a while id expect the floors and rockets to need work the frame may be gone there's ways around that but they are off topic here

28. Isn't that the same body style as the Cad/Olds sedanette?

29. 02CumminsGuy

02CumminsGuy

update !

Went and looked at it this evening. Was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be. Needs front floors for sure, rockers have some rust, as do the rear wheel wells. A couple debts, but no creases. The interior is a write off but it is there. The motor is somewhat disassembled. I'm still interested, but the paperwork is the issue. He's not sure exactly who is the legal owner right now. I took the serial number and I'm gonna see what I can find out at the insurance office tomorrow.