Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical NHRA legal t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by camerl2009, Jul 8, 2014.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hope the rules help out, Glad to hear the reason for only 1 year to get it done wasn't because you were sick,, Good luck getting something built, Tim Jones

2. camerl2009

camerl2009

that car is awesome looking

3. camerl2009

camerl2009

we always called him a bird that day he flew lol that car used to bend wheelie bars like no tomorrow
    yeah im not that crazy I like to keep it under 50mph while on bikes sleds are not too much different I have seen them run just not for me I want the protection of a cage. sleds are plentiful here though and somewhat cheap since we really don't get a lot of snow most of the time

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

5. Andamo

Andamo

150 horsepower to get you into the 12's. Possibly........if the whole combination weighs 1000#. You need to get a rule book from either of the HRA's by joining either of the organizations and sit down and read it and understand it.

6. camerl2009

camerl2009

the car should be plenty light with no interior just a couple of seats,fiberglass body,aluminum rims when on the strip,aluminum rad this will yield me a good starter drag car. that said 351W's are easy to get more power out of

EVL401 likes this.
  7. camerl2009

camerl2009

I have read the rules quite a few times on pdf it would be nice to have the book though. like I have been saying this is the first time I have built a drag car(i had may hands in that flying O/T car in the vid) it is however the first time I will be building my own

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You mentioned a Ford 170. I have three of them here that I would give you one of if you were anywhere near close to here. If that is a possibility, talk to the sixties Mustang guys around you. They buy six cylinder cars and toss the good running 170s and 200s seconds after driving them home. That a and a small, cheap, turbo will get you what you want.

I might add, Have you actually spent a buck and walked the u-pullit type yards in your area? It's funny, 'cause I hear guys around here say, "There is nothing in those yards" and yet I find stuff to buy every time I'm there. Turns out they don't go because others TELL them there is nothing out there and not to bother, that it's all new stuff. Now, I know the reality of Phoenix, Az's parts availability is much different than Windsor Ontario's, but I can't for the life of me imagine a place where you couldn't net work a bit and find a 351 Windsor engine...

9. camerl2009

camerl2009

yes I have been to the one you pull yard that's local and it filled with nothing but FWD cars and vans and other vehicles with modern electronic ignition. its kind of odd that the city were the engines were made it would be hard to find but its not like you can find a 80's pickup and use it as a donor anymore they are a endangered species around here. I did manage to locate one for $150 I will have to take it down to the bare block and hone the cylinders(rust from sitting) not really what I wanted but it will have to do

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd stay that 31Vicky with a Hemi's suggestion was a suggestion too look outside the box for an engine/drivetrain. That particular engine and trans should end up being around 3/400 dollars after the hulk is sold for even if it is a belly button engine and not a more expensive Ford engine. You want to go racing and you want go go racing cheap, why be an engine bigot and spend more money just because you think something is "too common".
    Still a bit of Craigslist watching should produce a similar car with brand and engine you favor for a similar price and you can drive it home, dial the engine in the chassis it came in and even make a pass on grudge night to see how it works before pulling it.

11. camerl2009

camerl2009

i don't see to many cheap vehicles with useable engines anymore most use electronic ignition and EFI that's way out of my knowledge. you don't find cheap cars from the 80's anymore most of that rotted anyway and was scrapped years ago. just like finding a good rear end its hard(a neighbor has a good ford 9" for a decent price) as these are rarely cared for and the tubes get pitted to the point where they are no longer useable

12. I don't think you are looking in the right places. I understand that they may not be in your back yard but there is plenty of that stuff out there. As things get scarcer you'll need to either figure out how to narrow a 9" out of a VAN or pay for the one you want.

You think you want to go racing cheap, using the stuff they used to ? Well that's a nostalgia car if its all 30 year old once common but now scarce parts right?

You're gonna have to either look harder or budget bigger. Maybe you can grow to understand what's common and use it or just dream smaller.

It takes time, talent, and treasure.
    You have a shoe string budget
    You have 1 year.
    You have limited knowledge of the days common raw materials.

need louvers ? and Andamo like this.
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, electronic ignition is nothing to be afraid of! EFI for the most part unbolts and goes in the recycling bin for a carb in just minutes. A van would be a simple easy donor car for a V8 quickly. Or Hell since you are open to wacky stuff, why not a 300 inch six? They made them well into the nineties...

Not to rub it in, but just in the time since I posted to this thread two hours ago I got a call from a friend GIVING me a complete and nicely running '55 GMC 270 six cylinder for another project of mine, simply because I did a favor for him a week ago that took about an hour of my time. that's an engine that legends were made of in the fifeties, and all I have to do is pull it out. That's exactly what I meant about networking a bit with maybe the Mustang guys or other hot roddders in general.

14. camerl2009

camerl2009

I know my area well there is no new raw materials and like I said you don't find useable parts like you could 10 years ago. finding a van that would have had a 9 inch is not even going to be possible that's mid 80's stuff there is none of that anymore its now made into some sort of import car. 8.8's are everywhere but a lot of them are not useable do to rust. well like I said my search for a engine is over just need to find a c4 trans that should not be too hard and then do a few scrap runs to get a body

15. camerl2009

camerl2009

my brain is analog I like to use wrench's and screw drivers not a laptop im not that good with computers even though most of my generation are. I did find a 300 inline 6 from the 70's(these are not common in the 90's trucks here) it also had a set of twin I beams on the frame it was sitting in I would have liked to have gotten that for another project.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  16. camerl2009

camerl2009

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Stop making excuses,go find a wrecked explorer,pull the 5.0 engine,trans,and rear out of it,sell the efi junk,put a carb on it,and go race.
    You're stuck on finding a Windsor,but a 289/302 works great in a light car like a t bucket.
    You're dreaming if you think it will be a running,driving car at 1000lbs,but you won't be too far off.
    Craigslist X cams are like $40 man.Get moving!Its not gonna build itself while you sit there and complain that there are no parts around.Try Sarnia or Chatham if you can't find parts.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Yes, you're right.
    It's too far
    It's too heavy
    It's too hard
    the stuff isn't behind your shed.
    You're too late because all the good stuff is gone or rusty.

Nice dream while it lasted though.
    Maybe next time you'll be ready when they say " ready set GO"

rayfinseats, powrshftr and Keep like this.
  19. camerl2009

camerl2009

going to Chatham or Sarnia is kind of out of the question. btw most 302's are also Windsor blocks and for those who can not read I already found a engine. I need to find parts in my area I can't afford to go driving around on a wild goose chase when gas is almost $5 a gallon.

20. av8

av8

You nailed the process, Tim Jones! You also nailed the look of some of the early short diggers that were treated to Topolino bodies to race as comp coupes. Particularly neat are the wheels in the doors! Very cool . . .

Mike Bishop

need louvers ? likes this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

Oh boy......You can't afford the gas money to go pick up the parts,yet you're building a race car?

And I have a pretty good idea what the differences between a 5.0 block and a 351W block is sunshine.I've built one or two of those...;)

I'm getting the feeling this is a HUGE waste of everyone's time,and that this guy needs to be playing Forza Motorsport on Xbox instead of pretending to want our help building a drag car.

I could have had the car roughed in and found a drivetrain in the amount of time it took to piss and moan about how there are no parts left in southwestern Ontario...!:D

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  22. camerl2009

camerl2009

yeah not everyone is in the same situation I don't have a job(no one wants someone who can't stand for hours on end or lift a lot of heavy objects thanks to a back injury) so I scrap when I can and scrounge up money here and there its worked so far. I also don't have a garage at the moment everything I buy is going to be stored in a tiny one car garage owned by a family member but I still need to find a place to build it that's closer to me

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  23. BillWallace

BillWallace

This is just a joke thread I hope!

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope, but it is sort of indicative of a younger generation that I am getting to know all too well. The stuff is out there all around, yet if it takes some work to find it, or get it home it's far more trouble than it it's worth. I hate to hear myself talk that way, but it seems to be ever true these days. I had high hopes for this one...

25. This has gotten pretty depressing. I hate to admit I'll still check back. Hopefully it changes for the better.

26. camerl2009

camerl2009

like I said just need a trans now looking for a c4 since they are smaller and I will not need much of a tunnel on a non a unchanneled body. i have spent about 2 months looking for parts on Kijiji and even talking to the guys who race around here either they want way too much for a engine that needs to be completely gone over(beaings,machine work,valve work) this engine im buying sounds like its a good start and its $150 this leaves me with some money for a trans and rear(found one for $200).

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

Seriously?
    No steady work, no shop, borrowed space for the parts ... but you want to build a race car that will require a lot of fabrication. And you want to do it on a budget and within 1 year. Please tell me you at least have the basic tools and equipment to build this machine. You know, hand tools, drill press, chop saw...welder. And - the talent to use them. The ONLY way you can build what you have described is to do most of it yourself.

I'm a project manager by profession and here is a quick lesson:

Lesson 1 - The project management triangle
    You want it quick (1 year) and cheap - it won't be good
    You want it quick and good - it won't be cheap
    You want it good and cheap - it won't be quick

Lesson 2 - Write a plan
    Describe what you want and how you plan to accomplish it
    Include a budget and a cost breakdown for parts, labor etc (the little stuff like wiring and fluids will kill you)
    Create a Resource plan - including what you need to do, who will do it, where you will do it and what materials and equipment you will need.

saltflats likes this.
  28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Yikes.

I gotta tell ya dude,there are some major parallels between your life and mine,only I have consciously chosen to not feel sorry for myself and have made changes to my life when necessary,in order to survive and continue to provide for my family.

1: You are unemployable due to your bad back? I'm a Union Pipefitter who had a pretty bad get-off on my ice racing bike a few years back.I now have 3 mangled vertebrae in my back,an one in my neck from a cartwheeling 450cc ice bike clobberin me in mid air and folding me in half like a lawn chair.
    I can't sleep through an entire night due to pain,I am almost constantly uncomfortable,and I did physio til my benefits ran out,then paid out of pocket.
    I allowed none of this to stop me from providing for my family.
    Instead of working on the tools I now do supervision or consulting work only,as I can't do the kind if physical labour I once could.

2: you only have a one car garage.

I built my O/T Meltdown Drags car in a one car garage,cause my family needed a bigger house (3 kids) in a better part of town,so a shitty little garage is what I have til we can afford more.
    I'm currently rebuilding the car for a featured best 2 out of 3 match race at next years Meltdown drags.
    It's not a deal breaker.I don't even have heat.

3: You have no money.

Work on getting the job an getting your life up and running before getting a car up and running man.It seems pretty clear.
    Every project I have ever worked on has been bought a piece at a time,as I could afford it,til I had enough stuff to assemble a car.
    Don't piss and moan cause it doesn't all fall in your lap,go out and make it happen!
    I had to fucking fight like hell for everything I own.Thats why I have it,cause I wanted it,I fought for it,I got it,an I deserve it!

Pick away it it a piece at a time,save your pennies,get retrained for something more in line with your capabilities like an I.T. Job that won't kill your already wrecked back, and go do it.
    The only thing stopping you is your mile long list of excuses!

You can do this shit man!Do not let life beat you!

Scott

EVL401 and need louvers ? like this.
  29. camerl2009

camerl2009

i have tools and enough skills to build it my welder is not powerful enough though i just got a crappy 120v mig I can at least tack everything together so someone else can weld it and i do not have a tubing bender so i will have to have someone bend up my roll cage. I plan on doing everything I can myself