Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs econoline 289 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustybones, Aug 18, 2014.

1. rustybones

rustybones

hey guys i have read hellfish post on econoswaps .My question is i have a 65 240 C4 truck will my 289 bolt straight up to the auto and use the original convertor?as there are only 5 of these in australia nobody has done the conversion yet thanks in advance el toro

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Depends mostly on if you have a 5 or 6 bolt block/bellhousing pattern to deal with.

Early 221/260/289 engines were 5 bolt block pattern.....changing around 1965 as I recall, possibly late 1964. So far as I know, the 240/300 I 6 engines were all 6 bolt block pattern. So, if you 289 is 6 bolt block, you can bolt up the C4. However, while the 240 flexplate will fit the crank flange of the 289, it is only correct for the 6 cylinder models, as they are internally balanced engines and have neutral balance flexplates. The small block V8's use a 28 ounce imbalance flexplate (or flywheel in stick shift use). Failure to do that will result in serious engine vibrations.

Even later SBF engines used 50 ounce imbalance, but your 289 was almost certainly built prior to that change.

Ray

3. I do not think so, though Aussie Econolines may be different than US models. In the US, Ford changed from 5 bolt to 6 bolt bell housings on the V8's in '64 - '65. And the 6's would not bolt up anyway, IIRC.
    Further confusing the issue is the 240cid 6, which the US models did not have in '65, it was the 200 at that time. And using the 6's convertor would result in a higher stall if installed behind a V8.
    Probably best to get a matched engine/trans and go with that, if possible.
    Cosmo

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

US automobiles and F-series pickups used the 240 in 1965. The OP says he has a '65 240/C4 "truck", did not say it is an Econoline. Whatever vehicle he has, if it is a 240, I would think it has the same block pattern as the 6 bolt 289 V8.

The US 250 6 cylinder, which is not the same block as a 240, may be a different story, but the OP says he has a '240'.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

5. He also mentioned the "econoswap" thread, and is in Australia, which complicates ID'ing things as Ford did things on a different timescale down there.

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

Nope. 1965-67 Econolines had either a 170 or a 240. Never a 200. I know that a 289/302 will bolt to a Econoline 240 3-speed trans because I did it. I thought the same applied to a auto, but I cant say for sure. You should just stick with a manual. They're cooler anyway. :)

7. May we say that the 4 speed column shifters are the coolest??

Cosmo

And, yes, I got confused about Ford engine availability. Again. I know what I got, and it's a 170/4 speed/9 inch.

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

The 4 speeds are pretty rare and apparently pretty weak, too.

wtatman likes this.
  9. Doesn't mean the shift rods cannot attach to a Top Loader...

I think the reason mine had first blown was/is related to the enormous hook welded to the rear 'frame' rail...

And the reason it survived in such great condition was/is related to the lack of transmission parts, and a handy storage facility.

Imagine a Econoline without rust, or come over and see mine.

Cosmo

10. rustybones

rustybones

My econoline pick up is a recent import from the USA . It is a 1965 and it is a factory 240 C4 9inch. I have heard you need to run a special 50oz flywheel and a 10 in torque convertor .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!