Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What can you tell me about 1931 Fords?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Aug 23, 2014.

1. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Get yourself a Model A service manual. Also read up on how to start a Model A, there is a whole procedure that you need to understand.

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm almost 77 now, and I bought my first Model A when I was 17, almost 18.
    If you get `some manuals (reprints should be abvailable), take it slow, and hopefully find a mentor who has a stock "A" that he maintains himself, I think it can be done.
    But the biggest differences on when I got my first one and now is there are very few old mechanics out there who know anything about an "A" that will be willing to offer advice.
    Plus back then the junk yards were full of them, parts were cheap to purchase and easy to find. I knew pretty much where every "A" was in a junk yard within 25 miles of home and what parts were on them. Things aren't the same, but one thing is still the same, think things out before you do anything. And find a good "A" forum, and ask questions there. Most of these guys, myself included are now more into building, maintaining, and driving hot rods than we are in resoring old cars to drivable codition in a mostly stock condition. This should be obvious if you read on here for awhile.
    Nothing wrong with that, but I'd be surprised if there many here who have actually done major work on an "A" intended to remain mostly stock. Because of that, I suspect more help is available on a forum more closely oriented to your apparent intent for this old treasure.
    God luck, my friend!!!!!!!!

3. I personally think you will have more problems with the neighbor than with the Model A...but you do not tell us your relationship with her,,Hehehehe

4. chstitans42

chstitans42

Now that is funny!

5. txturbo

txturbo

I have a couple and it's way easier than the Caddy! And it's not as tough as. These guys are saying it is.

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Use the FORCE, and avoid the Dark Side. Always connect the POSITIVE last( applies to positive ground vehicles only, per the "Dirty Old Man who is 100% correct-a-mundo).Ya gotta crawl before you walk, and ya gotta walk before you run. All is well.These inspirational words are brought to you by a lifetime of doing things the wrong way( which gets very expensive). And as Larry said,"cool beans". Edited to correct a glaring error 8-27-14

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The difference is that the kid bought the car. For you, it is the neighbor that owns the car and you are working on it. There are many discussions on the HAMB about work that was supposed to be done by someone that did not follow though. Usually the build gets way over budget and not finished. That may be why someone would say "don't even attempt it".

Someone else said the owner needs to have a budget for this build. She may be thinking $100 to get the brakes fixed, you may be thinking a couple grand. Rude awaking for her.

I know that if I entered into this project, I would make sure the owner knows what they are getting into and I have some understanding of Model A's.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

And if you follw these hints, you WILL make a mistake right away, as ALL 6 volt Fords are positive ground!!!!!!!

9. 1gearhead

1gearhead

One element of this project that seems important to me is who the car belongs to. if it is your car it makes a whole lot of difference as to who works on it than if the car belongs to your neighbor. It's a big project and you are going to do this for free and have already admitted that you don't know very much about Model A's. Your neighbor must be a very trusting soul. I sure as hell wouldn't expect someone else to do this car for nothing. If it were your car, great project for you to hone your skills and learn on, but I have reservations about you doing this on someone elses car.

10. 5window

5window

Panties in a bunch is SOP most of the time around here.

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Nice find !! I'm sure someone already said this,..but here's what I'd do; Be sure the engine isn't siezed, and can be turned. That done, replace all the fluids, fuel, engine oil, coolant, same for trans steering box and rear end. If it's to be a driver (it should be) then go with a juice brake conversion. You can cruise the neighborhood with the mechanical brakes, while getting things in running order.

A Model A is a great car, and parts are as readily available as they are for other vintage Fords. Among other suppliers, Sacramento Vintage Ford has a Moldel A catalog.
    Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

12. Les Andrews' two volumes on Model A's are the best technical manuals out there, imho. That would be my first purchase.

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Wow! Did I get slammed by a "Dirty Old Man"! Post #39. ( but he's right, guldang it!) Thanks for straightening my young butt out.( Cold on the left? No, wait a minute. Lefty loosy, righty .........sum bitch!)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014