Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does anyone Trade anymore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zettle Bros., Aug 26, 2014.

1. daddylama

daddylama

i like trading & bartering... parts, motorcycles, cars.

right now I've two (off topic) cars and one motorcycle up for trade. sure takes longer than selling/buying sometimes...

2. yngrodder

yngrodder

I like to trade, however it's funny when you list what your interested in trading for in the ad and then you get messages from someone wanting to trade something not even close to what was in the ad. and then valued 10,000 to 20,000 less then the car you have posted is worth.

3. Young rodder see my post, its not about dollar signs its all about you getting what you want and the other party getting what they want.

I have in the past traded for something that I didn't want because I knew someone who had something that I did want that wanted what I was trading for.

If I listed something that I was willing to trade for and people offered me things that I didn't want I would just ignore them. Life is just too short to do otherwise. ;)

4. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

That is the advantage of trading. Each side can get around the obstacle of their own fantasy price without losing face.

5. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I HAVE MY T UP FOR SALE OR TRADE NOW BUT I HAVENT FOUND ANYTHING THAT JUMPS OUT AT ME
    WHAT U GOT

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I traded disc brake parts for a 56 Chevy with a friend, for a basket case 1958 AJS motorcycle, that I had given to him several years prior.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I traded a '68 Roadrunner for my current T Roadster project, the Roadrunner was freshly painted but no engine and trans, the T ran and drove and had a very nicely done frame but had no paint and needed finishing. We both got cars that needed only the work we are good at, worked out great.

I also traded a '57 Chevy handyman and a different '26 T roadster for my '52 Ford and in another deal, traded my '56 Buick with hydraulics for my current OT daily driver VW station wagon. I always stay open to trades. 90% of what you get offered is shit, but every once in a while, something worth looking at comes around, and I've been really happy with the trades I've made (all of those in the last few years).

I also do a lot of hour-for-hour labor swaps, usually me welding sheetmetal to get mechanical stuff done on my car. Whatever it takes, it's great to have a network of guys who value my time/talent and also are good at things that I'm bad at or hate doing.

8. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

No cars, but had a camper trailer for sale on CL and some guy offered to pave the driveway in trade. Got rid of the trailer and had a fresh driveway all in the same day.

9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Back in '85 I traded off my '84 Dodge van:
    44VANDODGE.jpg
    to get this:
    edith001.jpg

Plus cash. The van had under 25k on it.

10. What are you looking for?

11. Bart78

Bart78

There is a bunch I old hoarders around here. They won't sell anything. But love to trade.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Kielerpv

Kielerpv
    from Utah

Last year I traded an old man a 60 gal compressor for a 47 dodge dump truck. It was rough but we were both happy.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm with Benno here... Many years ago, trading was popular in our hot rod circles, around Santa Clara-San Jose. (good ol' days)
    Some of the 'unbelievable' ones were hot rods for motorcycles, and vice-versa...
    My '46 Tudor (no eng./trans) straight across for a 650 Triumph...the Triumph for a cherry '50 Ford ragtop; the '50 ragtop for a '52 Harley 74 'Glide...Springered the Harley, hung some risers on it, traded it for a red '34 Five Window with a 5/16" X 1/4" flattie, locked 4.11 rear.
    Got 2 tickets for "peeling out" around corners, explained to the judge (my 2nd cousin) that the rear spiders were welded. He said, "Well? Then UNweld them!"
    About 1959, traded the '34 straight across for a nice black '56 Bel Air two door hardtop. The Chevy owner had removed the dash, and had the whole thing chromed. Beautiful! ...But he had a rat's nest of wiring, looked impossible to put back together. He called a local garage, the mechanic told him some story about "once you take all that wiring out, you can't put it back..."
    The guy had one of those 'love-hate' experiences. He LOVED trading for my cool '34...but HATED me for attaching the dash (in his garage) with loose screws, assembling the wire puzzle, and firing it up and backing it out inside an hour.

I drove the Chevy for a couple of months (mostly at night, that chrome dash was a SHOW ONLY item, murder from 9:00 A.M. to about 7:00 P.M., dependent on daylight savings...)
    Guys at John's Drive In were ga-ga about the black '56 with chrome dash...One wealthy kid from Willow Glen offered me $2300 cash, I said O.K., but without the 3 spoke Bell wheel. He sniveled, said the 3-spoke really made the car. I weakened, and sold the Chevy for more than it cost new.

I came into another '50 Ford ragtop, my close friend had gotten into trouble and 'bought' himself a 2-to-5 stretch in San Quentin! Gave me his '50, a greenish-yellow one, with a new canvas top and a Gypsy, with a Hollywood back window. I put pipes on it, drove it awhile, and traded for a black '50 Olds Coupe with a '57 J-2 and a '37 LaSalle box. (the Olds owner knocked out 3 clusters when putting it in reverse! Not running, but I traded him my ragtop in a New York minute!)
    Fixed the tranny, changed the rear for some 4.11 Pontiac gears, raced everything in town...
    Traded the Olds for a '26 T sedan, on a '30 Model A frame...full fendered, painted, upholstered, big flathead, Offie heads/intake, reversed Merc wheels, ash can caps, www, 8.20 and 5.90. Big rake.
    Traded the 'T' for a cherry '36 5 window, original upholstery, original radio. (got the Wolfman loud & clear!) Drove that '36 through 3 engines and a coupla trannies...
    Traded it for the famous (around San Jose) '51 Merc full custom "The Green Latrine", an old Rod & Wheelers' show car. (chopped Carson, Chrysler canted quads, custom grille, Buick Nail, '37 Roadmaster box) Beautiful custom, Rod & Wheeler Dennis Gomes (member here) traded and ended up with it further down the line. (there was a '35 Ford 5 window we chopped mixed up in that trade somewhere, too...and a nice '50 Chevy tudor, yellow primered...)

I traded a fast '54 Ford Coupe (one of 11 or so!) with a 312 Mercury 'Y', and a T85 box for a new '63 Impala, black on black, 409 with an M20 four speed Muncie; Hurst linkage, but I took over payments.
    (about $900 owed)
    I updated to 'E' series AFBs, Jardine headers, General Kinetics cam, Schieffer flywheel/clutch, 4.56 rear. Made a steel scatter shield, and grew my trademark handlebar moustache.
    Fremont drags every Sunday, got into the low 12s. (not bad for a heavy Impala, even if I WAS cheating!) I got torn down, and was banned for 2 weeks.
    I had found a kid with a 1963 330 Dodge 426 Max Wedge car, 727 T.F., eggshell white, engine blown.
    I asked about a trade...he owed some $$ on it, but I wanted it. I owed $400+ on the 409, so we traded...
    I couldn't wait to get my hands on that 426 'Short Ram'!
    I called Auto Industrial Supplies, they sent a truck out to turn one journal on the crank, in car. (!) I sent the 2 rods back with him, and cleaned everything up and re-ringed pistons...got the rods back and threw it together. ("Lo-Buck" at its finest)
    Got it running, tuned it...The acceleration out of the gate would scare ya...
    Eventually got that car into the 11.90s. (lots of $$ later) Tommy Groves was running the 'Melrose Missile' then, he was wonderful. I was not in 'class competition' with Tommy Groves! Kidded him a lot, though...
    (Linda Vaughn was remembering how I used to rib Tommy, she said she'd laugh like crazy. She mentioned with a tear that Tommy passed away from a brain aneurism. I also had a tear...)

I sold my Dodge late summer, '65? (I think)
    I found a '61 Cad Coupe DeVille in Menlo-Atherton, in front of a retirement hotel...Big classy building, looked like the Taj Majal. The black Caddy was parked in front, a pile of dust and dirt underneath, like it hadn't moved in months. License sticker was last year's, so I went into the building and inquired, a nice elderly lady said her late husband bought it new for her, he passed, then the auto trans went out.
    She had it towed to AAMCO, they quoted $800 to fix it! She was ballistic. Towed it home, there it sat.
    I told her I wanted it anyway, I was a mechanic. She sold me this Cad with 1200 miles on it, burned up trans, she was so mad at AAMCO she gave it to me for $275.00. Cash. Registration was current, tags were in the envelope.
    My bud Muff had a '37 LaSalle box, and later gears. I made up a nice floorshift with 40" stick, big black knob, a McBar (?) adaptor, and a steel flywheel. That car got the eyeballs downtown.
    "Hey...That Caddy's got a floorbox!" LOL... Who'd even notice today?

Traded it for a '35 Ford Tudor Flatback. Flatback got a Chevy V8, (283) never got it running.
    Traded that for a '56 Ford Crown Vic, forest green, with a '53 Cad w/hydro, 4.11 rear.
    Hell out of the hole...Looked good, too. Detailed the Caddy mill, went to full service gas stations...
    Attendants would stutter, "C-C-Cadillac engine?!? Wow..."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    cavman, fortynut and porkshop like this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Traded my Roadster for my 32 unfinished several years ago now, it took 2 years and many silly offers before I came across the guy that had what I wanted and was interested in my car. He had a buyer for a Roadster, so everybody was happy. The problem as I see it is to be real on your stuff and find someone that is realistic on their deal. And remember that a car "dealer/broker" he's in business to make some money. Myself included, tend to put high values on our cars because its a passion w/ personal feelings involved, not business. That's my 2 cents worth for the day.

15. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely. Like porknbeaner, if you have something I like and I have something you like I'm game up or down.

16. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Mike Thats was a great read...Thanks...JOHN

17. Still looking for trades on this old girl but, like you said most people have crap or want to trade a t.v. or washing maching.DAMN i aready them aready. lol.Bruce.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I traded my '55 Buick Special even up for the '36 in my avatar in 2011.

19. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I mostly trade for services for services. I have traded an upholstery job on a dentist chair, a motorcycle paint job and a motorcycle tune up for tattoo work. I was happy. As long as my artist keeps needing his bike painted I continue to get great quality work. We are both always happy the way our trades work out.

20. 327Eric

327Eric

Once I got into the trade, it seems I could never sell the car, always had to trade my way out of it, or sit on it for years. I got an O.T. Project I might go that route with, gotta see whats out there. I've already had it for years, could be interesting.

21. cavman

cavman

I've done so many trades over the years and never felt I got snookered so trade is what I would love to do when I'm done with my "holy grail" 5w. Everything is so over priced lately that if the trader and the tradee get what they each are satisfied with, all is good. I'm thinkin' Thunderbolt, or something like it.

22. pontiac

pontiac

I used to trade cars around a lot, I haven't much in recent years though.

I traded another hamb member 4-5 years ago my 64 Catalina for a 50 Poncho, and
    recently traded my 65 Fury for a 56 Buick Century.

23. fortynut

fortynut

My grandfather was a mule trader. As a youngster, I watched the old men who hung out around the courthouse on the week-end, and chewed tobacco and dipped snuff, trade pocket knives with the tenacity of Wall Street Barons. On Saturday mornings, the little town where I grew up was full of country people who arrived there like they were on a holiday. Sun-browned men in starched and ironed overalls and work shirts, worn with suit coats, milled in the parking-lot of the auction barn, jam-packed with pickups with wooden side-boards and bob truck with cattle beds. Trading ruled. Cattle, horses, mules, goats and geese changed hands without the auctioneer rousing the buyers with his taunting staccato. You could find dogs and cats that were traded for watermelons, pumpkins, or turnips and tools. Anything and everything was possible, and the best man usually went home with a wife who sat silent and steaming because she didn't see eye to eye with her fool of a husband who had traded a corn fed pig for a one-eyed mule. And, for the man who has never traded I reserve the kind of pity ice hockey players have for those who believe the game to be a sport instead of war. Speaking for myself, I recently traded a Remington tactical pump shotgun, that I had lost faith in and considered tossing in the river, for a '47 Ford Coupe --- just for the roof section for when I chop my '48 Coupe. I had been willing to pay boot to get a rust free, unmolested frame the same owner had to offer. In the end, thanks to his generous spirit, he threw it the deal because after we pulled the '48 out of twenty-five years of undergrowth. It left so much to be desired, I got out my Vaseline because the sheet-metal was so-so, three quarters the way up. I also got gobs of chrome trim parts, as well. My rule of thumb, I like to explain to those who think trading is about getting the best of the deal, is to trade for what you want. If, somehow, you get skinned when the remorse, that is similar to buyer's remorse, is gone, the glory of having what you want far outweighs all other negatives. Yeah, it's subjective. A year of two back, I traded a basket-case '40 Ford sedan for a '57 Chevy big back window pickup that needs a floor pan. I wanted it more than the forty and I am nuts about forties. Three or four years ago, I had a stack of metal metal tubing I came into for nice cents a pound. I traded it for a roachy '37 two door Ford, too far gone for even me to tackle. I traded that for what was left of '58 VW convertible, then traded that for a running '53 Ferguson tractor I'll trade for Early Ford parts, or cash, at some future time. Hell yes, some trades go in circles. You just have to keep on until you grt what you want. Until you do, you're just 'trading shucks for cobs'. No argument from me that money will buy what you want, and is pretty much hassle free. Trading, on the other hand is a blood sport, unmatched for the sheer adrenaline rush. It's no wonder, in this day and age, fewer trade, than in the bare-knuckle days, when people were ruthless and underhanded, and some deals that went sour caused killings because of bruised egos; or on account of knives that wouldn't take an edge that literally brought blood. So, be warned. It can become addictive. A friend of mine had to join the local traders anonymous. He told me it got so bad for him, he would work up a trade just to be trading because of the high he got. He ignored his wife and children and stayed away from hone, and was out all hours looking for someone who wanted to trade. Now, he's back to normal and recording in Nashville; but I'd bet good money if I called him this very instant and told him I had something to trade him, said he'd fall off the wagon, or offer to trade it to for the one I have that's painted red.

24. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I have come close to trading for a a few different 35/36 coupes, a 59 356 Porsche, came very close to trading the body for a 5 window body. Have talked a trade for an old Harley.

I am always looking for a 356, old Harley's, 32 5 window, or 33-36 3 window.
    It usually doesn't happen due to distance between us.
    I get side tracked on other projects (mine or someone else's) then I have trouble refocusing on the 32. I love 32's but the 3 window is not my favorite body.

25. I just made a trade with a good ole boy out in eastern Pa. last week. He wanted an unchopped car due to his veteran disabilities which made it difficult for him getting in and out of the chopped sedan he had.
    We came to a trade agreement on his 1930 2 door sedan with my 1932 five window coupe.
    Now all I have to do is make it mine. Great winter project to keep me busy during the cold winter tundra up north here. Really not at all looking forward to winter but at least I have something to keep me occupied until next spring.

26. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Want a 57 ford! Haha

27. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Well for the longest time been trying to sell my T roadster or trade it. Really want a 1930 0r 1931 Ford Coupe that is setup and ready to go. You know chopped, hotrodded already. Since Christmas time I've had a little girl and now haven't had much time to work on cars. So now I threw the Falcon into the mix with the roadster, a two for one deal. Still no takers.

28. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

29. castirondude

castirondude

I'm also not a trader, I tend to have my cars for a long time so I usually cherry pick what I buy and sell. Plus I tend to buy more than I sell..

30. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

My buddy traded his 66 f-100 for a 63 Galaxie, both guys felt they got the better deal. Win-win.