Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The wannabe car guy, or how stupid do you think some car guys are!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mad mikey, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was at a car show last weekend, and listend to a guy who owned a 67 coronet. the car was nice with a 671 blower out the hood. the guy claimed that the engine puts out over 500 HP, and does a 11 to 12 sec quarter mile. When I checked the car out I found the blower is massively under driven and it is a 360 block! The engine leaks oil from every gasket, and when it its idleling the headers glow cherry red! His buddy told me that at 4000 to 5000 RPM, the boost gauge reads 2 PSI. Have you guys seen or heard outlandish claims like this before?? When the car left the show the owner got on it , and guess what!!! The car looked like it could not get out of its own WAY!!!! WOW!!

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He probably bought it from some guy that sold him a bill of goods and he doesn't know any better.

3. You got that right!!

4. Outlandish tales of HP and strip times are as old as Hot Rodding itself,, I have learned not to disagree and just let them weave their stories and move on. HRP

Turnipseed likes this.

5. YEA! You are exactly right. That it pretty much what I do as well. But the claims seem to get more and more OUT THERE! Dont they!

6. 2935ford

2935ford

I have no patients or time for those types.....I don't bother listening and just move on..........

7. I did move on and the guy fallowed ME! IS THAT WEIRD or what. What a complete A- HOLE!!!

8. DIXON

DIXON

People like that bring comedy to car shows, I love pretending I actual believe their bullshit to see how many more lies they can come up with in a conversation. My favorite one I got was "I should run a coupe seconds quicker next time at the track because my reaction time was that far off" hahaha.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. camerl2009

camerl2009

you hit the nail on the head with that one. I know a few like this they also buy every piece of chrome they can

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. camerl2009

camerl2009

there few words id say to guys like that other then prove it

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

I tell them about the time a 747 landed in the mall parking lot. Usually draws a blank stare, & gets the point across.

DIXON likes this.
  12. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Tell them to get a good night's sleep the night before, so they won't be napping at the line. That should get them going

DIXON likes this.
  13. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

That right there is funny... I got so sick of the BS I quit going to shows. I will do functions like swapmeets and promotional things but not car shows thanks. Now if they would put the cars out on display and put move everybody into the sidewalk bar and let you look at the tin with out the BS I would probably try it again.

14. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually tell guys like this (complete bull-shitters and idiots) that I don't know much about cars and actually ask for more. It is THEN the stories get even better. Some guys even admit to me they run nitro on the street. Apparently our local gas stations in Iowa sell it. :rolleyes:

15. DIXON

DIXON

Come to think of it I went to lame car show at a local pep boys last week where there were tons of these type of people. Dyno trailer set up, 3 pulls for $40, tons of bolt on chrome everywhere, and all you hear is cars hitting the rev limiter.
    An older guy approached me telling me all about his newly built SBC and how he's done a lot of drag racing (which apparently he has not), then he asks me "what are the numbers on your windows?" I just ran the car at a local strip the night before. So you drag race but have no idea they write numbers on your windows! Hahaha wow!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. trollst

trollst

Hell, if that pissed you off you should have been with me, sitting behind my car, listening to a knowledgeable fella tell his girlfriend that my car was a kit. He could tell, and these kinda cars come in a box, anyone can put one together, easy way to get into the hobby, there's more, but the short of it was I listened, laughed and they left soon enough. You can't let that kind of thing bother you......

hotrodharry2 and DIXON like this.
  17. Awesome...what does this have to do with traditional hot rods and/or customs?

brokenspoke, 117harv and B Bay Barn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.