Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb cleaning and re-finishing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ausbuick, Aug 19, 2014.

1. ausbuick

ausbuick

Hi fellas,
    Is there a way to refinish your carbs like you get with reco ones, the gold type of colour. I am going to rebuild my Buick aero tyre carbs but before re assembly I want to re finish them
    Cheers

Check out my 49 Buick sedanette build

2. Iridite? That would be my guess as to what type of metal finish was originally used.

3. ausbuick

ausbuick

Is there a way to do it your self?

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, there is a way. The products you need are an acid etch and Alodine that you buy from someone like Aircraft Spuce. A quart of each is enough and costs about $70. I just redid the 3 carbs for my Olds engine and I screwed up and ordered the clear Alodine instead of the one that turns them goldish, but when they were done I liked the look anyways and just left it.

You basically clean the carbs as you normally would with carb cleaner, then soak them in the etch for a while to get the metal very clean, then you dip them in the Alodine to get the color you want. I understand for the gold you just go in for a few seconds or minutes or they will come out too brownish, but since I didn't use that color someone else will have to tell you how long to soak them.

Here are mine after being done.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ausbuick

ausbuick

They look pretty!!!
    Thanks

6. models916

models916