Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question for those who have put a Model A spring hanger on a '40 rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Meyer, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Meyer

Meyer

Questions for those that have done this. Pic below. I cut the hangars from a model A rear and am going to put them on the '40 rear

What spring did you use? Custom or model T or ???

As it stands now, eye to eye the mounts are 49.5 inches apart. I have a T spring that is 45 inches eye to eye. The shackles are 1.5 inches eye to eye each. Install the shackles and I am left with about 1.5 inches of gap. Does that seem about right?

I am also debating whether to bolt them or weld them or both. I lean toward both, but doing the welding delicately so I don't melt the seal in the diff.

spring hangar.JPG

2. 4-pot

4-pot

I used the Model A spring.

3. Meyer

Meyer

I am going to have to use the T spring I think. I don't think I can stretch an A spring the roughly 3 inches I would need to.

4. You know the stock "A" perch eye spacing was 49-1/2" center-to-center; while the "T" perch eyes were on 48" centers.

3" is not a lot to spread the spring.

I would use regular hex head bolts to attach the perches, don't think the thin square head bolts would be good for the tension load of the perches as compared to the shear load of the original application.

sko_ford likes this.
  5. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Need a spring spreader, there are several threads on the HAMB and Ford Barn about spring spreaders.

6. You can also take the spring apart, install the main leaf by hand, and reassemble the spring in place. Easier this way on a spring-over as the banjo gets in the way of a regular spring spreader.
    Just be sure to use quality C-clamps and let them do the work, only use the all-thread to keep the leaves aligned.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014