Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bead roller ends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmpontiac, Aug 16, 2014.

1. I just rolled some 1/2 wide beads in the inner fender wells and would like to finish the start and stop ends better - is anyone doing this by making a die or is there an easier way? It's just one of those things that bugs me with the bead roller.

2. bct

bct

I drilled a half inch hole in some plate 1/4" then cut a half notch up to it . then made a round headed puch out of half inch steel and finished the ends by hand

3. spearodude

spearodude
    from So-Cal

On some of the metal shaping forums, I've read that some use an open ended wrench with a jaw matching the width of your bead and a flat dolly. Most wrenches have a radius between the jaw flats, you can use this as a "die" of sorts to put a more finished look on the end of the bead. Place the wrench against the end of the bead so that the radius between the jaw flats will define the start/stop op your bead, support the panel with a flat dolly and smack the wrench with the hammer and done!

I've also seen re-purposed gasket hole punches ground in half to make a half moon shaped punch, as well as one off dies.

good luck.

4. bct and spearodude, thanks for the ideas - i'll give them a try. I thought about using a 1/2' ball end mill and cutting a groove in some thick plate ending in the shape I'm after, welding a 1/2" ball bearing on the end of a piece of chromoly and using that with an appropriately sized hammer. Of course I sold my mill some time ago, but somebody's got one around here.
    While I was messing around with the bead roller I came across another little problem that needed a solution- my shop has high bay lights and they cast a lot of shadows. Since I couldn't use a fixed guide on the roller and had to freehand the beads I needed all the light I could get on the subject area so I made up a little fixture for my Maglite. Works pretty good and now I can clearly see the layout lines. I know you can buy a flexy mag base light but I've already got the Maglite (and the $30 it would cost for the other)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

5. username

username

6. Here is a video by Lazze showing the use of the punches like username showed.

Texas Webb likes this.
  7. K13 that was good,thanx.

8. K13 & username - exactly what I had in mind - my bead roller started out as a Woodward Fab vice held one that I reinforced and built a stand and motorized with a Grainger gear head motor - I'll post a couple pictures and one of the Maglite mod as well. Thanks again

9. Here's the maglite mod and an overall view of the beader. DSCN0966.JPG DSCN0967.JPG

Attached Files:

10. Lazze also has another vid up where he reduces distortion by using a wide female die instead of the matched set. It also makes nicer ends on the beads.
    You have to play with it a little but it works well.